Author Topic: Welcome Terrence Williams!  (Read 12441 times)

Re: Welcome Terrence Williams!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Can he play tomrrow?

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Remember Doc said they don't need a pure PG, they just need someone to handle the ball, this signing falls in line with that.
I think there are two issues that are important here:

(1) I don't think there's anyone out there who's got the talent level to just be given the ball and trusted to be the full-time PG. Hence the need for a ball-handler (someone who can get us to the front court without turning it over) rather than a PG (someone who will direct the offense).

(2) We desperately need another player who can defend bigger guards (at some point we had to put Jeff Green on Kobe; he didn't embarrass himself, but I can't quite see this as a long-term solution).

So in a way, this is a two-in-one move to address both issues. Pretty nifty, if Williams can prove he fits the bill.

koz, I've never seen you so optimistic.

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Remember Doc said they don't need a pure PG, they just need someone to handle the ball, this signing falls in line with that.

(1) I don't think there's anyone out there who's got the talent level to just be given the ball and trusted to be the full-time PG. Hence the need for a ball-handler (someone who can get us to the front court without turning it over) rather than a PG (someone who will direct the offense).

(2) We desperately need another player who can defend bigger guards (at some point we had to put Jeff Green on Kobe; he didn't embarrass himself, but I can't quite see this as a long-term solution).

So in a way, this is a two-in-one move to address both issues. Pretty nifty, if Williams can prove he fits the bill.

Seems a pretty spot-on analysis to me.  Man I hope Williams can at least give us 75% of what Barbosa was giving us.  I don't know much about him.  Is he known as a good def player at all?

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Seems a pretty spot-on analysis to me.  Man I hope Williams can at least give us 75% of what Barbosa was giving us.  I don't know much about him.  Is he known as a good def player at all?

Doc said he wants guys who can play regardless of position. Meaning the best guys to look at, when there are no clear cut guys based on talent, are versatile swiss army knife type players. Guys who can play multiple positions make it easier on the rotation's flexibility.

Williams fits that.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
great signing for a 10 day contract. williams has 10 days to convince people that the "knucklehead" part of his past is dead and gone.

outstanding talent burdened with a crushing ego so far. let's hope he has learned his lesson and will give the celtics some strong play off the bench. if williams has turned his head around, then danny has made a great addition to the team.
Well, he can be signed to two 10 days before Danny/Doc has to finally decide. That should be plenty of time to see how much knucklehead he still has in him.

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great! Now Danny has to waive Barbosa (like they did with Green last season) and sign Yi Jianlian from China. Another lottery talent who couldn't live to big expectations, but who is a more mature player now. He can shoot, he's 7 feet tall and KG can hide his defensive flaws.

Trade Bass for Mozgov+Randolph and we're set.

At least, I hope T. Williams can help the team and stay for the season.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Great! Now Danny has to waive Barbosa (like they did with Green last season) and sign Yi Jianlian from China. Another lottery talent who couldn't live to big expectations, but who is a more mature player now. He can shoot, he's 7 feet tall and KG can hide his defensive flaws.

::)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 05:18:25 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Oh yeah and tell them we'll move Collins for McGee too!

Bass is a very undesirable quantity at the moment. Good luck moving him at all let alone for a center who is NBA caliber.

I love the Williams signing too. Hope he doesn't get punched by KG for being a fool :)

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay signing but to be honest, I don't expect him to see the floor much. He's here to have a warm body in practice, to learn the system, to be injury insurance against Lee, Terry and Bradley going down, and to play in the occasional garbage minute or so.

If at the end of his 10 day contract he has played more than 20-25 minutes total(six games), I would be shocked.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Okay signing but to be honest, I don't expect him to see the floor much. He's here to have a warm body in practice, to learn the system, to be injury insurance against Lee, Terry and Bradley going down, and to play in the occasional garbage minute or so.

If at the end of his 10 day contract he has played more than 20-25 minutes total(six games), I would be shocked.

It really depends on how the games go. If they all go down to the wire, I wouldn't be surprised if he played 10 minutes total. If most are blowouts (for us hopefully), I wouldn't be surprised if he played 50 minutes. And then we can always get him on a second contract. I really want him to stay for the season, and I haven't seen him play in green yet. ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

And is also made of glass.  ::)
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

Well, that's cool. We have 10 (8 valid) players on our rotation. We don't have that luxury to give out garbade mins. We need a big trade or something.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Yi was great in the Olympics, I'd give him another chance just like Prigioni, Mills, de Colo, Shved, Kirilenko got chances.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Normally I'd agree with you -- T-Will is the type of player who tends to have a lot of trouble seeing the floor on this team.

But if Doc Rivers really only plays T-Will 5-10 minutes a night when we have three healthy guards on the roster (including one who is 35 years old), then he's an complete and utter moron.

At this point, Doc needs to put his rotation together with the primary goal of not wearing guys out and preventing further injuries.  Putting the best team on the floor is kind of secondary when there are only 10 healthy players on the roster and one of them might as well still be in college he's so raw.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

They could have went with a lot of warm buddies but picking a guy like Williams makes me think they are looking to hit lightning in a bottle.