Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55350 times)

Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21710534/whats-right-for-dwight-will-lakers-deal-howard

Ken Berger:

However, CBSSports.com has learned that the Lakers have engaged in preliminary trade discussions with an unlikely trade partner regarding Howard: their fierce rival, the Boston Celtics. The centerpieces of the possible deal, which hasn't gained any traction, would be Howard and Rajon Rondo.

The imagination runs rampant with the tantalizing possibilities.

Other significant pieces would have to be involved, since Rondo's $11 million salary is substantially less than Howard's $19.5 million. If the Lakers dealt Howard for an All-Star point guard who is out for the rest of the season following ACL surgery, they'd effectively be throwing in the towel on this miserable, underachieving season and looking to next year.

The Celtics would be going all-in for a quick rebuild centered around Howard, with the hopes they could find a point guard in the draft or in free agency to capably run their offense – which they've managed to do in Rondo's absence anyway. Celtics president Danny Ainge has flirted with several trade possibilities for Rondo over the years, and the point guard's hyper-competitive drive and strong personality have proved difficult for coach Doc Rivers to manage.

There are at least two significant impediments to a Howard-Rondo deal. First, as Howard said Friday, the Lakers continue to insist they won't trade him, which sources say is the impression the Celtics have gotten, too. Second, Celtics president Danny Ainge would not trade Rondo without an assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston as a free agent this summer, a league source said. Howard has shown no inclination to commit to anyone, including the Lakers, until the season is over.

Since the league source familiar with the discussions characterized them as preliminary, it's possible that the talks could be tabled until after the season. In that case, Howard would have to agree to a sign-and-trade to the Celtics that would only yield him a four-year deal as opposed to the five years the Lakers could offer him (or the Celtics, if he were traded there by Feb. 21 and subsequently re-signed). The Celtics could only acquire Howard in a sign-and-trade if they eschewed their full mid-level and remained below the so-called luxury-tax apron, a threshold $4 million above the tax line that was added in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

While the discussions have yet to progress, if nothing else, they open a potential avenue open for the Lakers to minimize the chances of losing Howard as a free agent and getting nothing in return. In other words, a fallback plan.

Would a trade to the Celtics make Howard happy, something he admitted Friday he has only experienced "at certain points" with the Lakers this season? At this point, it's difficult to fathom what, exactly, would make Howard happy. All we know is that Howard is determined not to commit to anyone before the season is over, including the Lakers, because he wants to avoid the distractions and circus atmosphere that consumed his final months in Orlando.

Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
However, CBSSports.com has learned that the Lakers have engaged in preliminary trade discussions with an unlikely trade partner regarding Howard: their fierce rival, the Boston Celtics. The centerpieces of the possible deal, which hasn't gained any traction, would be Howard and Rajon Rondo.

This rumor is hilarious to me. It brought a bit of chuckle to me when I read it. In my take this rumor seriously mind... I'm all for trading Rondo, but please keep this guy away from my team.

Re: Rondo for Dwight?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Please. This is beyond stupid. Dwight Howard is a knucklehead who really doesn't care about winning. Not interested.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As the article says, there's "no traction", so I can't imagine there's any seriousness to this.

That said, I'd do this deal in a second.  I don't know why LA would, though.  They've already got Nash, and it seems like trading for an injured Rondo would basically be throwing a year of Kobe's career away.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Please. This is beyond stupid. Dwight Howard is a knucklehead who really doesn't care about winning. Not interested.

At the same time, trading for him this season would make us instant co-favorites in the East.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If this was for real, I think people should be pretty psyched. We all know that the Lakers [and Kobe] covet Rondo. Being able to reel in a player like Dwight would be humongous. I am all for keeping Rondo and there are only like 6-7 players I would trade him for...Dwight is one of them, even with all his recent shortcomings.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As much as I'd dislike Howard to wear Celtics' Green, if this trade is on the table, you have to do it, no ifs or buts about it.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Link?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
bizness

YES

my heart

No!!

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Nash for Granger would then make sense for both teams assuming Granger is healthy for next season.

Pacers could use a pg like nash.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
As the article says, there's "no traction", so I can't imagine there's any seriousness to this.

That said, I'd do this deal in a second.  I don't know why LA would, though.  They've already got Nash, and it seems like trading for an injured Rondo would basically be throwing a year of Kobe's career away.

Would you do Rondo and Pierce for Howard and Nash?

I would say Green and Bass instead of Pierce, but the Lakers reportedly don't want to take on long term money for the impending LeBron sweepstakes.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
False rumor, Dwight and Mitch said: "NO TRADES"
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

That's completely meaningless.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
There's no way Dwight signs an extension here. He's a guy who doesnt seem to care about basketball as much as he cares about his name becoming popular culture. Players don't become pop culture superstars in Boston - they win titles and become hall of fame basketball players. I dont know how much Dwight Howard cares about that.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Always believe the opposite of what a gm says around trade deadline time.