Author Topic: Rondo for Al Jefferson, build around Bradley, Sullinger and Green  (Read 8262 times)

Re: Rondo for Al Jefferson, build around Bradley, Sullinger and Green
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
You don't trade Rondo unless you get a top ten player back.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Just had to read the thread to see who proposed this ridiculous trade. Unbeleivable.

Only have to deal with Rondo trades for another few weeks...then its back to lurking for me.  I like Rondo's intensity, I just don't think he fits with Bradley and Green who as a pair are more important to the team than just Rondo. 

Whether you think we could get more, the question is would we be better.  It always seems like nothing is ever enough for Rondo. 

If you say build around Rondo, I'd like to hear how because he clearly doesn't add value to this group of players.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

AKA

You don't trade Rondo
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
You build around stars in this league, not complementary players. Rondo is the closest thing to a star that we have, so we must build around him unless we find a way to find another young star.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

AKA

You don't trade Rondo

Well that might be my answer, if the suggested trade was for LeBron James or Kevin Durant, but I would have to think about it ;)

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Rondo for an established big makes a good amount of sense.

Preferably an impact player, at least on one end, and competent on the other.

Gortat defends, Big Al scores and blocks.

I'd take Big Al because I like him and we need someone to carry some of the scoring load.  Pierce/Terry/KG can only carry so much.  Whatever Green gets seems to come at the expense of one of the other 3; Al Jeff would score in a different way. 

He has great hands, and would be a beast with our team passing moving the ball.  He, like Shaq, needs to be guarded or it's a bucket, and our team would get him the ball.

And he might come back around for less than he's making now.  I wouldn't mind seeing what

Bradley
Lee
Green
Sullinger
Jefferson

with Pierce/KG/JET off the bench can do after this year and next.  I think that could be our team for the next 4 years, contending, with one more utility/4th guard.

The starters would have plenty of perimeter defense and a frontline that can score and rebound (with Sully and AJ).  I think they could grind it out. 

And with the Old 3 hanging around as the star bench?  We'd have a chance in the playoffs for sure.

Trade Rondo.

Gortat and Dragic would be my first choice.

Big Al is 2nd.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Rondo for an established big makes a good amount of sense.

Preferably an impact player, at least on one end, and competent on the other.

Gortat defends, Big Al scores and blocks.

I'd take Big Al because I like him and we need someone to carry some of the scoring load.  Pierce/Terry/KG can only carry so much.  Whatever Green gets seems to come at the expense of one of the other 3; Al Jeff would score in a different way. 

He has great hands, and would be a beast with our team passing moving the ball.  He, like Shaq, needs to be guarded or it's a bucket, and our team would get him the ball.

And he might come back around for less than he's making now.  I wouldn't mind seeing what

Bradley
Lee
Green
Sullinger
Jefferson

with Pierce/KG/JET off the bench can do after this year and next.  I think that could be our team for the next 4 years, contending, with one more utility/4th guard.

The starters would have plenty of perimeter defense and a frontline that can score and rebound (with Sully and AJ).  I think they could grind it out. 

And with the Old 3 hanging around as the star bench?  We'd have a chance in the playoffs for sure.

Trade Rondo.

Gortat and Dragic would be my first choice.

Big Al is 2nd.

Could not have said it better myself.  What I imagine happens when Pierce and KG retiring is that the Celtics have a ton of money left to spend on a star PG, SF, or F to fill out the roster.  There are only a handful of players that can play Center at a high level but a huge number of players that could play either PG or SG.  Having Bradley, Green, Sullinger, and Jefferson to go along with a large contract would be pretty enticing to a lot of players. 

From http://www.sportscity.com/nba/free-agents/2013-top-nba-free-agents/ :

Chris Paul   PG
Manu Ginobili   SG
Andre Iguodala   SG
Brandon Jennings   PG
Tyreke Evans   PG
Andrei Kirilenko   SF
O.J. Mayo   SG
Jose Calderon   PG
Monta Ellis   PG
Kevin Martin   SG
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:38:28 PM by traderondo »

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

AKA

You don't trade Rondo
You don't trade a top 10 player for Rajon Rondo. 

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Would I trade Rondo straight-up for Big Al right now?

Yeah, probably.  Quality size ALWAYS is more important in this league than great passing.   

Thing is, if KG and Pierce retire, this team is in the dumps regardless.  Seriously.  Those two are our best players.  If they bail and we're left with Rondo as our cornerstone player, there is pretty much zero chance of us winning a title.  If anything, Rondo would just prolong our suffering by keeping us from a top 5 draft pick.

#1 -  Rondo is injured.  Nobody even wanted to trade for him while he was healthy... who in their right mind would trade from him now?  I'd go for it if offered Big Al. 

#2 - Big Al will make for a fun finish to the season.  I'd love to see how he and KG co-exist.  He'd be the best big KG has ever played next to.

#3 - Big Al is a free agent.  If the whole thing fails, KG and Pierce could retire and we'll start our super-tank rebuild off right with nothing but cap space and lottery dreams. 

#4 - Expanding on the above... if you're looking to go for broke and roll the dice... if we moved Rondo for Big Al and the whole thing failed miserably leading to Pierce and KG retiring... we'd have like only 30 million on the books this offseason (Green, Bass, Lee, Terry, Bradley, Sully, Melo).  Chris Paul and Dwight Howard are unrestricted free agents.  Go after them in a package deal.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Just had to read the thread to see who proposed this ridiculous trade. Unbeleivable.

Only have to deal with Rondo trades for another few weeks...then its back to lurking for me.  I like Rondo's intensity, I just don't think he fits with Bradley and Green who as a pair are more important to the team than just Rondo. 

Whether you think we could get more, the question is would we be better.  It always seems like nothing is ever enough for Rondo. 

If you say build around Rondo, I'd like to hear how because he clearly doesn't add value to this group of players.

I completely disagree.  I think Bradley and Green will fit very well with Rondo on the post Pierce and Garnett Celtics.  I envision a defensive minded, high turnover producing, up-tempo team.  Those three form a good base for such a team.  We'll just need to find some bigs who fit.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Pretty sure I'd be tempted by a trade like this:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=at4k9qp

Rondo, Barbosa, Collins, Bass, Fab Melo

for

Jefferson, Kanter, Hayward

You improve your chances greatly to win this year, while acquiring young assets at the same time that should help build your future one way or another.

I see it as the best of both worlds.

You fill wasted roster spaces of injured players with actual healthy players, and still have a lot of room on your roster to sign other players.
Well sure! But the Jazz wouldn't do that.

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I completely disagree.  I think Bradley and Green will fit very well with Rondo on the post Pierce and Garnett Celtics.  I envision a defensive minded, high turnover producing, up-tempo team.  Those three form a good base for such a team.  We'll just need to find some bigs who fit.

I also like a Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully core, but I'm really worried about floor spacing.  We'd either need this guys to increase their range, or have a really good shooting bench.

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So you envision trading Rondo? Seems a bit contradictory.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
So you envision trading Rondo? Seems a bit contradictory.

Nope.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 11:29:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So we trade Rondo who is very productive and has shown that he can take over games, on a bargain contract  for Al who may be a double double guy but plays no defense and will command massive amounts of salary going forward?

No thanks.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace