Author Topic: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?  (Read 12097 times)

Re: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

Did you seriously just compare KG's importance to the Celtics with Rondo's importance to the Celtics?

That team was built around KG, Pierce and Allen. Hence, when KG went down, the team collapsed. Same reason Heat almost lost when Bosh went down. While the team is constructed as Rondo leading them, Ainge has not put all the leadership duties on him, as demonstrated by his free agent signings. There are a lot of players that can put this team on their back on different nights.

Aside from RR/PP/KG I'd say that the player that's come closest to putting this team on his back at any point in time is Sully. How many games has anyone else carried the team?

If we're talking about since 2007, there are many more..

If just this year, Bradley has since his injury return.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
no one can deal with the now
everyone likes to talk about what-ifs in the past and make predictions for the future. smh

the fact is we haven't won a ring with this super hero Rondo.

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
everyone likes to talk about what-ifs in the past and make predictions for the future. smh

That's incorrect. The fact is we haven't won a playoff series without this super hero Rondo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

That's incorrect. The fact is we haven't won a playoff series without this super hero Rondo.

Durant hasn't won a ring, or CP. who cares?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

That's called 'moving the goal posts' as an argumentative tactic.

The fact is, we've never won a playoff series without Rondo. That's a pretty daunting realization to the 'we're better off/as good as without Rondo, and this six game streak is proof' argument.

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 12:37:07 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

The fact is, we've never won a playoff series without Rondo. That's a pretty daunting realization to the 'we're better off/as good as without Rondo, and this six game streak is proof' argument.

i'm not arguing about CP3 or KD, so I'm not sure what that point was.
I'm also not sure that this is the exact argument. I've said playoff Rondo makes things easier perhaps. But I feel people are absolutely writing us off for the playoffs because we have no Rondo. Super hero Rondo has not won us any rings. He's kept us close...maybe...but a loss is a loss and there are 0 banners for his efforts.

I'm saying with the way we are playing now, with ball movement and lots of threats, I think we have a chance. And I've been saying from the jump with this team, it never has to be one guy for one game. Everyone can have the game or the series where they really step up.

I'm asking for realistic statements. It's realistic that this super hero Rondo has never won us a championship. Ball movement and some sprinkled about stellar performances from Rondo has won us ONE ring.

To discount what this team has done during this win streak I think is dangerous. And if it continues, I'd love to know when people will give props.

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Oops, I misread.

But all that tells us is that Rondo has remained healthy for a long time
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Well I still think your argument has some serious flaws.

I'm asking for realistic statements. It's realistic that this super hero Rondo has never won us a championship. Ball movement and some sprinkled about stellar performances from Rondo has won us ONE ring.

Solid play from Rondo helped win that Ring (and one to rule them all). But the biggest elements were a still in their prime Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen. Also, a complete bench was a serious factor.

We are now weaker at the 1, 2, 3, 4, and possibly 5, excepting if you're contrasting KG to Perkins, in which case we're stronger there.

Realistically, we're playing well. We've played well this season before, and followed it up with atrocious play.

Realistically, we're still an inconsistent team that is now missing arguably it's best and most talented player.

That changes with gained consistency. Six games is not gained consistency, 20 games (not all wins of course, but .600 or better play would be acceptable) is a good case for gained consistency.

If your point is just to loudly state 'calling it now', well more power to you. I hope you're right. But for those of us who are t sold on this team because of the win streak, I hope you understand our caution. We've been burned before, and all we care about are playoff wins, or future prospects. Neither one is anything close to assured odds right now, so when people are ready to dispute your 'live in the now' proclamations, I hope you see it for the rational thought it is. Maybe not optimistic, but rational.

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

i'm not arguing about CP3 or KD, so I'm not sure what that point was.
I'm also not sure that this is the exact argument. I've said playoff Rondo makes things easier perhaps. But I feel people are absolutely writing us off for the playoffs because we have no Rondo. Super hero Rondo has not won us any rings. He's kept us close...maybe...but a loss is a loss and there are 0 banners for his efforts.

I'm saying with the way we are playing now, with ball movement and lots of threats, I think we have a chance. And I've been saying from the jump with this team, it never has to be one guy for one game. Everyone can have the game or the series where they really step up.

To discount what this team has done during this win streak I think is dangerous. And if it continues, I'd love to know when people will give props.

The fact that you're dismissing all of the postseason accomplishments that we've had over the last 5 years because we didn't win a ring while complaining that people aren't excited enough about a 6 game winning streak in the middle of the season against mainly poor teams is mind boggling. Why would getting to game 7 of the finals be important compared to beating the Kings at home in February?

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2013, 12:52:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Oops, I misread.

Well that's not all it tells us. Rondo was the main factor in some of those playoff series wins.

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2013, 01:01:14 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Oops, I misread.

Well that's not all it tells us. Rondo was the main factor in some of those playoff series wins.

In recent years, he really has.
This year, we can "wing it" to the finals.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2013, 01:16:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Well I still think your argument has some serious flaws.

Solid play from Rondo helped win that Ring (and one to rule them all). But the biggest elements were a still in their prime Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen. Also, a complete bench was a serious factor.

We are now weaker at the 1, 2, 3, 4, and possibly 5, excepting if you're contrasting KG to Perkins, in which case we're stronger there.

Realistically, we're playing well. We've played well this season before, and followed it up with atrocious play.

Realistically, we're still an inconsistent team that is now missing arguably it's best and most talented player.

That changes with gained consistency. Six games is not gained consistency, 20 games (not all wins of course, but .600 or better play would be acceptable) is a good case for gained consistency.

If your point is just to loudly state 'calling it now', well more power to you. I hope you're right. But for those of us who are t sold on this team because of the win streak, I hope you understand our caution. We've been burned before, and all we care about are playoff wins, or future prospects. Neither one is anything close to assured odds right now, so when people are ready to dispute your 'live in the now' proclamations, I hope you see it for the rational thought it is. Maybe not optimistic, but rational.

Well done here. Much needed. Tp.