Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34152 times)

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nope...no way...horrible trade for 2 years could've gotten Jeff green in free agency
With our non-existant cap room?

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nope...no way...horrible trade for 2 years could've gotten Jeff green in free agency

he was a free agent this past offseason, seems to me we had cap room.. did virtually nothing for us on his remaining contract from the thunder. I didn't say you keep perk...but keeping him the rest of that season and losing him for nothing would've been better then what happened...not like green took a hometown discount.. We offered him the most hence why he came back here

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
The trade hurt at the time and hurt the team's chances that season, but it was a long term move and now it is beginning to pay off.
Is it really paying off? How? Are we any closer right now to winning a championship than we were the day Perk got traded?

I don't think we are. As a matter of fact, I think we are further away from winning a title now than we were when Perk got traded. And in two years all I have seen is a regression or stagnation in Jeff's game.
You'll have a really hard time convincing anyone that the difference between what happened that season and championship was having good ole Perk hopping around on one leg.

Yeah, same boat.  That team wasn't winning a title.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If Danny was intent on trading Perk, he should have waited until the off-season.  Not only did the trade kill any chance we had at a title, but it's likely that we could have gotten somebody better than Green had we waited and moved Perk for a trade exception.  For instance, David West would have been a possibility, and he would have positioned the team better over the last two seasons.

I appreciate the view that Jeff Green is a star and has "ridiculous upside", but I'm not sure that it's accurate.

I don't agree with that. In a perfect world Shaq would've remained healthy, Green would've replaced the injured Daniels, and Krstic and JO would've backed up Shaq. Shaq's injury is what ultimately did us in. Plus, there was no certainty that OKC would've accepted a trade. It's a possibility, sure, but if they didn't we would've been left with nothing.

Let's not forget that we also received the Clippers 1st rd pick (Fab Melo) and this year's Bobcats pick, which was instrumental in us landing Lee from Houston, as part of the deal.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
The trade hurt at the time and hurt the team's chances that season, but it was a long term move and now it is beginning to pay off.
Is it really paying off? How? Are we any closer right now to winning a championship than we were the day Perk got traded?

I don't think we are. As a matter of fact, I think we are further away from winning a title now than we were when Perk got traded. And in two years all I have seen is a regression or stagnation in Jeff's game.
You'll have a really hard time convincing anyone that the difference between what happened that season and championship was having good ole Perk hopping around on one leg.

Yeah, same boat.  That team wasn't winning a title.

Mmmm that team was pretty good and trading perk demoralized it..he wouldn't have carried them, not sure anyone thinks that

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

he was a free agent this past offseason, seems to me we had cap room..

We owned his Bird rights, which we acquired in the Perkins trade. Else we could not have signed him for that much money.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I still say if left alone, that team would have won the title. Maybe getting rid of Robinson still would have needed to happen but Perkins being here means there was a golden opportunity to go for the title one more time with that group. Unless Green is a part, an important part of a championship team, I still say it was a bad trade.

Besides, I am still only seeing the same old Jeff Green. He's on another of his 5 game "good Jeff Green" streaks before disappearing again as the "not showing up tonight Jeff Green"(Can't even call him "bad Jeff Green" as he doesn't play bad, he just doesn't show up.

No way man. Once Rondo's elbow was dislocated it was over.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If Danny was intent on trading Perk, he should have waited until the off-season.  Not only did the trade kill any chance we had at a title, but it's likely that we could have gotten somebody better than Green had we waited and moved Perk for a trade exception.  For instance, David West would have been a possibility, and he would have positioned the team better over the last two seasons.

I appreciate the view that Jeff Green is a star and has "ridiculous upside", but I'm not sure that it's accurate.

Hindsight.

No way Ainge gets the return he got at the time in the summer. He would have had no leverage because everyone would know he wasn't committed to Perk.

Very unlikely we dump Robinson's contract. No way we get the Clipper's pick which at the time was the gem of the trade. It looked like a potential lottery pick. Can't foresee "basketball reasons" sending CP3 to the Clippers.

At the time we had two O'Neals along with Krstic (he thought they would be able to give about 30-35 minutes between them with KG and Baby taking the rest) and no backup wing. We were expecting Pierce to go through Melo, Lebron, and then potentially be defended by Artest all by himself?

It had the potential to be a great trade all things considered. Why would he think a hobbled Perk on two bad knees would be better then Krstic and Green?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't like midseason trades just due to the chemistry fiasco factor.

But I gave credit to Ainge at the time of the trade and I give him credit now.

Danny had great foresight to see that our team needed someone extra to deal with the other wings in the Eastern Conference.

Had we stood pat with Perk we probably would have gotten swept by Miami, instead of losing in 5 games.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Thought it was a good trade back then, nothing has changed in my mind, other than as time goes by the trade looks better and better to me.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hindsight.

No way Ainge gets the return he got at the time in the summer. He would have had no leverage because everyone would know he wasn't committed to Perk.

Very unlikely we dump Robinson's contract. No way we get the Clipper's pick which at the time was the gem of the trade. It looked like a potential lottery pick. Can't foresee "basketball reasons" sending CP3 to the Clippers.

At the time we had two O'Neals along with Krstic (he thought they would be able to give about 30-35 minutes between them with KG and Baby taking the rest) and no backup wing. We were expecting Pierce to go through Melo, Lebron, and then potentially be defended by Artest all by himself?

It had the potential to be a great trade all things considered. Why would he think a hobbled Perk on two bad knees would be better then Krstic and Green?
Strange...OKC didn't think Green was worth a $40 million contract so traded him to the Celtics who didn't think Perk was worth a $40 million contract for Perk. Perk got his money from OKC and has struggled but provided what Perk provides(toughness, leadership, defense, a proven warrior). Boston, thinking Perk wasn't worth $40 million instead decides to give that very same contract to Jeff Green after he took a year off of competitive basketball to have open heart surgery. Strange the way those two franchises took a look at those players and those contracts and think so differently about them.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

;D

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
We put Green on Kobe for defensive purposes yesterday. I know Kobe's not what he used to be, but the fact that Green can play three positions defensively is pretty ridiculous. I'm quietly encouraged about the kid.

Lee guarded Kobe much of the time as did Pierce. Green was only on him a few times that I remember.

As for Green overall, he has played well in 7 of the last 10 games and has probably played 20 or so good games all year. If he becomes consistently good I will judge the trade a success. Until then, no chance.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
We put Green on Kobe for defensive purposes yesterday. I know Kobe's not what he used to be, but the fact that Green can play three positions defensively is pretty ridiculous. I'm quietly encouraged about the kid.

Lee guarded Kobe much of the time as did Pierce. Green was only on him a few times that I remember.

As for Green overall, he has played well in 7 of the last 10 games and has probably played 20 or so good games all year. If he becomes consistently good I will judge the trade a success. Until then, no chance.

he's been pretty consistent for the past 10games...averaging 12.7 ppg on 50% shooting

actually he's been playing pretty well since Bradley came back and moved Terry to the bench

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Always gave him credit! Don't doubt the "D"s! (Doc and Danny)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"