Author Topic: Ric Bucher: Memphis interested in Courtney Lee  (Read 7725 times)

Re: Ric Bucher: Memphis interested in Courtney Lee
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'd probably move Lee for the trade exception that Boston would get back.  I'd really like Tony Allen back though.  I think he would be a great fit and would be an easy sell to the rest of the team that we aren't giving up on the year (while at the same time dumping Lee for an expiring). 

Yes, you beat me to it. If it were a Lee for Allen trade, that'd be great for the Cs.

I would also be tempted with the straight up Lee for trade exeption -- it would give the Cs options in the future. That said, a $5M trade exemption is in a funny range. it is about $1M or $1.5M too small to be really useful, IMHO. The players out there that it could be used on is limited (e.g.: all the folks that signed for the MLE this year get a raise next year, and the TE couldn't be used on them).
True, it isn't a huge one, but we could have for example taken on Speights in a salary dump like Cleveland did. Or rookies or veterans that a team needs to move to make a trade work.  A little bit bigger one would be better though.  Maybe you send Lee and Collins to Memphis, to bump up the trade exception by about a million, that gets you closer to 6 million, which is a better number to be at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
only one way...A for LEE...!!!! works for ME..!!!

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I like Courtney Lee, but if they offered Ed Davis for him, I think I would do the deal.

Right, but Davis was the centerpiece of their Gay deal. I think that they want to move Darrell Arthur because they don't have a lot of minutes for him now that Davis is on the roster.

So the question is, Arthur and who?

If it's Arthur and Allen, I think I'd take it. Lee is a nice player, but I can't resist the chance to watch Tony Allen and Avery Bradley side by side.

Memphis is cost-conscious, so surely Wroten isn't on the table.

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Only guy you want back for Lee is Marc Gasol.

Think about what Randolph will do on this team? He will take away from our speed game, he will take away from KG and PP.

No thanks.

We need a guy who can hit the open jumper and do dirty work.

We need a Nick Collison type guy, a Udonis Haslem guy...heck if Bass can get back to playing like he did last year, we'd be all set.

In the playoffs the game slows down. You want the game to slow down when you play Miami if you have a front line of pierce, zbo, and kg. Zbo immediately solves our rebounding issues and gives us a legitimate post presence.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Hopefully the part about Ainge changing his mind because of a 6 game winning streak isn't true.

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I really like what Courtney Lee brings to this team.
Same
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Think about what Randolph will do on this team? He will take away from our speed game, he will take away from KG and PP.

No thanks.

We need a Nick Collison type guy, a Udonis Haslem guy...heck if Bass can get back to playing like he did last year, we'd be all set.

In the playoffs the game slows down. You want the game to slow down when you play Miami if you have a front line of pierce, zbo, and kg. Zbo immediately solves our rebounding issues and gives us a legitimate post presence.

He helps our rebounding but what about a rim protector? Also, are you prepared to pay him 16mill a year for the next three years? I'm not.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I like Courtney Lee, but if they offered Ed Davis for him, I think I would do the deal.

Right, but Davis was the centerpiece of their Gay deal. I think that they want to move Darrell Arthur because they don't have a lot of minutes for him now that Davis is on the roster.

So the question is, Arthur and who?

If it's Arthur and Allen, I think I'd take it. Lee is a nice player, but I can't resist the chance to watch Tony Allen and Avery Bradley side by side.

Memphis is cost-conscious, so surely Wroten isn't on the table.
It doesn't have to be anyone aside from Arthur as Memphis has a trade exception and can absorb the salary.  So we trade them Lee with their exception and then we use most of that exception for Arthur (and still have some exception left).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Am I crazy in feeling better with Lee/Bradley as the "point guards" instead of Terry/Barbosa?  I'm really liking what Lee brings to the team, and loving the Lee/Bradley backcourt.  I know, you've got to give up something to get something, but Lee has finally been showing why he's such a good guy to have around.

I don't know, Bradley bringing up the ball does not look that good to me.

I think he's generally capable, although I agree with you -- his hunched up dribble makes my back hurt just watching.

Well, if you're worried about Bradley at the point, that's another reason to keep Lee around unless you're blown away by an offer.  I haven't liked what I've seen from JET/Barbosa at the point; none of these guys are natural point guards, but Lee seems to do a pretty decent job of getting the ball where it needs to be. 

But, I'm not totally opposed to trading Lee, if we get back a big man that's good enough to slot into the starting rotation. 

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This one is tempting:  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=amo56fp

but I think I'd say no.

Memphis would have to decide they can start Bayless, with Wroten the eventual backup and Terry the backup for now, plus Lee...

Celtics guard rotation goes down to 3 (plus Pierce), Conley, Barbosa and Bradley.  I think we lose too much despite getting Arthur....   I don't know very tempting.  We lose some of our Wade stopping power with the loss of Lee, plus Terry's clutchness, which I believe in.....

Final answer:  no, unless there were a big nasty SG to pick up off the wire to backup AB...or unless the Celtics were secretly hoping to give Paul some SG minutes to get Green on the floor more....

Final final answer:  no.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Am I crazy in feeling better with Lee/Bradley as the "point guards" instead of Terry/Barbosa?  I'm really liking what Lee brings to the team, and loving the Lee/Bradley backcourt.  I know, you've got to give up something to get something, but Lee has finally been showing why he's such a good guy to have around.

I think he's generally capable, although I agree with you -- his hunched up dribble makes my back hurt just watching.

Well, if you're worried about Bradley at the point, that's another reason to keep Lee around unless you're blown away by an offer.  I haven't liked what I've seen from JET/Barbosa at the point; none of these guys are natural point guards, but Lee seems to do a pretty decent job of getting the ball where it needs to be. 

But, I'm not totally opposed to trading Lee, if we get back a big man that's good enough to slot into the starting rotation.

What if they offer Bayless?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=alq2d7s
or
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=arbajyt

Maybe we throw in a 2nd round pick?

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
If you can trade Lee for a player with size you do it. You can always sign Delonte to take his place. Delonte's familiar with the team and also familiar with Terry from their days in Dallas.

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

What if they offer Bayless?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=alq2d7s
or
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=arbajyt

Maybe we throw in a 2nd round pick?

i'd do that 2nd one for sure, but as a arizona alum i'm still shocked bayless hasn't turned out better. he just seemed to have it all.   plus you get back allen.  it would be a great trade for the celts.    i like lee lately though.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
They won't trade Arthur since they traded Speights away just so Arthur could play more
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

No thanks.

This exactly.

Plus he does hit the outside jumper and do the dirty work as well. He would be a perfect power forward alongside KG for us.