Author Topic: If you can only keep one, is it Pierce or Garnett?  (Read 2255 times)

Re: If you can only keep one, is it Pierce or Garnett?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Paul Garnett, Kevin Pierce, I don't know.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The OP is if you can only keep one, so to say both is kind of missing the point.  Assume a team offered a good young player a decent role player with some salary, plus a good draft pick and then said we will make the deal for either Pierce or KG, you pick, and also assume that the other retires at the end of the season.

I would send out KG, not for basketball reasons but PP played his whole career here so for him to retire here would mean more.

I think it could only go one of two ways:

For KG only, he doesn't waive to leave PP and the C's.  I think he chooses to go down fighting with Paul.

If the offer is for Pierce straight up, it has to be worth losing both Pierce and KG, since I think KG walks w/o Paul.  That kind of deal ain't happening.

If its an offer for BOTH Pierce and KG to go to the same team, then who knows...

But the question is a non-starter, since I don't think it's even a remotely likely scenario.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't see the point in keeping one but not the other.  If you're going to trade one, that means you're blowing it up; if you're blowing it up, don't just do it halfway. 

Trade neither, or trade both.

this

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I could re-word the OP-

Consider the following two scenarios:

1) Pierce plus whatever you can get for KG in a trade, and Pierce retires as a Celtic
2) KG plus whatever you can get for Pierce in a trade, and KG retires as a Celtic

Which scenario gives the Celtics the best performance this season?  Which scenario gives the Celtics the best chance at contending for next season?  Which scenario will have the Celtics closer to a title three years from now?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
KG on Pierce: "He's the original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house."

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
If I could re-word the OP-

Consider the following two scenarios:

1) Pierce plus whatever you can get for KG in a trade, and Pierce retires as a Celtic
2) KG plus whatever you can get for Pierce in a trade, and KG retires as a Celtic

Which scenario gives the Celtics the best performance this season?  Which scenario gives the Celtics the best chance at contending for next season?  Which scenario will have the Celtics closer to a title three years from now?

Okay...

Well, KG is untradable due to the clause.  But I keep him anyway...he is an old soul, and it's Green.

Keeping Pierce is probably a win-now situation, thought trading him would definitely make us better in 3 years by giving us a headstart and/or more assets than letting him retire.  And since I'm high on Green and think we need a big more than anything, trading Rondo or Pierce for a big plus a backup SF would likely make us better this year, too.

What we would need to do is either trade Rondo for a star C or trade Pierce for the same plus a backup SF.  I think either might make us better this year and balance the roster of the future out quite nicely.

Bradley
Lee
Green
Sully
Star Center obtained from trade of Rondo or Pierce

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
we won 4 in a row. The trade deadline could not pass us any sooner. Both are not going anywhere.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
we all know both are here till they retire
and that's how it should be

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
we all know both are here till they retire
and that's how it should be

The end.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"