Author Topic: CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry  (Read 3218 times)

Offline crownontherocks

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 49
CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
Sources tell CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry.
Now that the Celtics have lost two starters (Rajon Rondo, Jared Sullinger) in a week, the sharks smell blood. Boston reportedly remains in "wait-and-see" mode, but it's hard to see them not doing something at the Feb. 21 deadline to get under the tax line. At 22-23, there's no real hope for a title run here. Terry would attract interest from contending teams as a spark off the bench.

Source: Ken Berger on Twitter Feb 1 - 5:30

The Celtics are $1.5M over the tax line and need to make some decisions before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 189
Re: CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
Get rid of him pleeeeease.  Nothing against the JET, always behind him, but at this point we might be able to get a pick for him.

JET to Memphis for a pick.

Online Who

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 1211
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
An expiring contract would be enough for me.

I'd like to try and get a late first rounder to early second rounder for Terry but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if that wasn't available. Maybe low end prospect (end of roster player) instead of a pick.

Online snively

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 380
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
Memphis makes a lot of sense with their trade exception and their need for scoring sans Gay.  No danger of going into the tax either now that Gay is gone.

That would put the C's under the tax too, which might be desirable to avoid repeater penalties in the future.  And a trade exception is always handy.
Pick 2 Team: Rockets (McHale)
PG M. Chalmers ($4 mil) SG J. Harden ($5.8 mil) SF W. Chandler ($5.9) PF Nene ($13) C S. Hawes ($6.5) 6th man: Ginobli ($14.1) 7th man: Marv Williams ($8.3) Enforcers: F. Ezeli ($1), C. Hayes ($5.5) Bench Marksman: A. Morrow ($4) Young Gun: R. Jackson ($1.2) Greybeard: P. Prigioni ($.5) Towel-Waver: Mike Scott ($.5)

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
No. Keep him.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: -29457
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
I'm torn.

I want to play out the season and see the team go down fighting.  At the same time, dumping Terry for any sort of positive asset makes sense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

Offline ManUp

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 224
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »

Whatever we can get for him!

Offline MBunge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 148
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
I'm torn.

I want to play out the season and see the team go down fighting.  At the same time, dumping Terry for any sort of positive asset makes sense.

As a fan, I'd rather see KG and Pierce retire in green like Bird, McHale and DJ did.  But at this point, not making a move is just delaying the rebuilding process and likely making it harder.  If this team had played up to its potential and we were 2nd or 3rd in the East, you could argue for giving it one last run.  As a sub .500 team that could very well lose the 8th spot to Philly if Bynum ever steps on the court, what else is there to say?

Mike

Offline scaryjerry

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 72
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
He should start considering tattoo removal methods

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: -29457
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »
I'm torn.

As a fan, I'd rather see KG and Pierce retire in green like Bird, McHale and DJ did.  But at this point, not making a move is just delaying the rebuilding process and likely making it harder.  If this team had played up to its potential and we were 2nd or 3rd in the East, you could argue for giving it one last run.  As a sub .500 team that could very well lose the 8th spot to Philly if Bynum ever steps on the court, what else is there to say?

Mike

Think of it this way:  if we get a couple of sold-out home games in the playoffs, the team is more likely to use that money to buy a draft pick.  That's gotta be worth at least as much as we're likely to get for Pierce in a trade.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 134
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »
He should start considering tattoo removal methods

Or go all-in with a tattoo version of the "I hate Danny Ainge" t-shirt.

Honestly, Terry became redundant and a bad contract the minute we got Barbosa for the minimum.

Offline MBunge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 148
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
I'm torn.

Mike

Think of it this way:  if we get a couple of sold-out home games in the playoffs, the team is more likely to use that money to buy a draft pick.  That's gotta be worth at least as much as we're likely to get for Pierce in a trade.

With the next salary cap/luxury tax rules, I suspect the buying of draft picks is going to almost disappear.

And if Ainge could get Danny Granger for Pierce, kicking his tires and then either resigning him for using his expiring contract would be better than just about any 25 to 30 draft pick.

Mike 

Offline mikestar

• Kelly Olynyk
  • Tommy Points: 4
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »
I'm in the "put JET on a jet" camp.

Offline dreamgreen

• Brandon Bass
  • Tommy Points: 22
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
Always liked JET but I would take a pick for him in a heart beat.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1085
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
If that trade doesn't help us this year, pass.