Author Topic: Jeff Green+ 1st for Tyreke  (Read 3015 times)

Jeff Green+ 1st for Tyreke
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If they would take Green for Tyreke and Outlaw straight up even better. I really like the Idea of renting a scoring point guard to see how he fits. If he fits great sign him and Move Rondo next year. If not, resign Evans and trade him next year.

Re: Jeff Green+ 1st for Tyreke
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If they would take Green for Tyreke and Outlaw straight up even better. I really like the Idea of renting a scoring point guard to see how he fits. If he fits great sign him and Move Rondo next year. If not, resign Evans and trade him next year.

The problem with taking on Evans that I see is that he's likely to want a contract much like the one Jeff Green got.  Like Green, he put up big scoring numbers his first few seasons in the league and has shown promise of being a very good player.  But, also like Green, he's been very inconsistent and hasn't always made his team better.  He may very well find a team to pay him 7-8 million a year.  Do the Celtics want to be that team?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The problem with taking on Evans that I see is that he's likely to want a contract much like the one Jeff Green got.  Like Green, he put up big scoring numbers his first few seasons in the league and has shown promise of being a very good player.  But, also like Green, he's been very inconsistent and hasn't always made his team better.  He may very well find a team to pay him 7-8 million a year.  Do the Celtics want to be that team?

I would rather give Evans Green's contract, than Green. 

I think this team needs an alpha-dog going forward, and Evans is one IMO, while Green has consistently shown that he doesn't have that in him.  So, I think Evans would have a much better chance of exceeding the value of a cotnract like that than Green.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:22:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I would rather give Evans Green's contract, than Green. 

I think this team needs an alpha-dog going forward, and Evans is one IMO, while Green has consistently shown that he doesn't have that in him.  So, I think Evans would have a much better chance of exceeding the value of a cotnract like that than Green.

Agreed.  Evans has higher upside than Green if only because he displays the mentality of a player who believes he is that kind of guy and wants to be that kind of guy.

Still, I remain skeptical that Tyreke can be a focal point, i.e. score 18+ pts a game, and also make his team better.  I think he might be best as a sixth man.  He has the talent to be better than that, but so far he hasn't really made good on the promise of it. 

Certainly that's different, though, than Jeff Green.  Jeff is in my opinion a consummate role player.  That's the sort of player he seems to want to be.  It suits his temperament.  I think he can and probably will really help a team win some day, whether it's the Celtics or somebody else.  But it's not going to be as a top scorer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why do people think Evans is good? He had a stellar rookie season. But hasnt played anywhere near as good since. He is ball dominant and doesnt shoot well. Would much rather have Green and the first over Evans.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think Evans has a higher upside than Green. But I do think he's not caught in a numbers game like Green is, and is therefore way more likely to be worth his salary.

Also, having Evans while not giving up Bradley makes it possible to trade Rondo away next season for a big.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Why do people think Evans is good? He had a stellar rookie season. But hasnt played anywhere near as good since. He is ball dominant and doesnt shoot well. Would much rather have Green and the first over Evans.

Skills.  He is big, strong, super athletic, has a great handle, and is excellent at finishing at the basket.  He is right there as the prototype new age combo-guard. 

And I just can't hold his lack of success in Sacramento against him, because that franchise is such a mess. 

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I really have not seen him play other than against the C's, but I'm not into trading a 1st for a maybe/possible guy.

I'm really not interested in anyone on the Kings, they suck and have bad body language.  :)

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I really have not seen him play other than against the C's, but I'm not into trading a 1st for a maybe/possible guy.

I'm really not interested in anyone on the Kings, they suck and have bad body language.  :)

Well, in what way is he maybe/possible, compared to a mid first round pick in a bad draft?  He was rookie of the year just a couple years ago, and has shown he can really score in this league. 

While the contract could be an issue, the chances of getting a player even half as productive as you can pretty much guarantee Evans would be are very slim.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Well, in what way is he maybe/possible, compared to a mid first round pick in a bad draft?  He was rookie of the year just a couple years ago, and has shown he can really score in this league. 

While the contract could be an issue, the chances of getting a player even half as productive as you can pretty much guarantee Evans would be are very slim.

Very possible, but if he's so good why would the Kings, who have sucked for eons want to trade him? I would think they want to keep their talent, no?

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Very possible, but if he's so good why would the Kings, who have sucked for eons want to trade him? I would think they want to keep their talent, no?

Its a really good question.  The answer is that they don't think he is going to be worth what he is going to be paid this summer.  But that doesn't mean he won't be worth that for a team that isn't an black hole for young NBA players.

I think OJ Mayo is the best comparison here.  He was nearly traded with a first round pick for Ray Allen last year, because they were not going to resign him.  He went to Dallas and has revived his career.  I think Evans could have a very similar story.   

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I know I'm in the minority but I really like Green, 1 of the only people on Earth who can stand up to gaurding LeBron on a physical level & with the agility & skill. And 6'9 & skilled trumps 6'5 & skilled. Green will be a All-Star once Paul Pierce clears his path.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Evans is good, but reminds me too much of rondo the way he hogs the ball and tries to do everything himself

He went 1 vs 4 like four times last night. There is never any need to do that unless everyone on the floor is dead cold.

Thornton was good all game, so was robinson. Where are the drives and passes??

no thanks

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Green is ours.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

Skills.  He is big, strong, super athletic, has a great handle, and is excellent at finishing at the basket.  He is right there as the prototype new age combo-guard. 

And I just can't hold his lack of success in Sacramento against him, because that franchise is such a mess.

This.  You have a guy who puts up 20/5/5 in his rookie season, and your response is to move him off the ball when you know he struggles in that situation.

Tomfoolery.

Still, I don't do this trade.  Too much to give up.  We're entering the territory where our pick is starting to get pretty valuable - you can get a good player at 18-20 - and I'm not so keen on dropping that for less than a sure thing.