Author Topic: BOS/MEM/PHO 3-way blockbuster  (Read 2601 times)

BOS/MEM/PHO 3-way blockbuster
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
BOSTON TRADES:

Paul Pierce
Brandon Bass
Fab Melo
(1st round pick to Phoenix)

BOSTON GETS:

Rudy Gay
Marcin Gortat
Sebastian Telfair

MEMPHIS TRADES:

Rudy Gay
Marc Gasol
Jerryd Bayless

MEMPHIS GETS:

Paul Pierce
Michael Beasly
Jared Dudley
Fab Melo
(1st round pick from Phoenix)

PHOENIX TRADES:

Marcin Gortat
Michael Beasley
Jared Dudley
Sebastian Telfair
(1st round pick to Memphis)

PHOENIX GETS:

Marc Gasol
Brandon Bass
Jerryd Bayless
(1st round pick from Boston)

Memphis has continued to shop Gay, and also has put Gasol out there as well. Their main piece is Pierce, who they can also cut after the season and save some big $$$. They also shed over 3-million off their cap for this season. They get building blocks as well in Beasley/Dudley/Melo. Phoenix should have a solid 1st rounder to send Memphis's way.

Phoenix would be all over this to get Gasol. They take on "bad cap" in Bass (even though he is still productive enough, so not truly bad contract), and also Bayless, who is slightly overpaid, IMO. They receive Boston's 1st rounder, which essentially is a "trade-down" due to sending Memphis a 1st.

Boston needs to move on from Pierce while his contract/talent still are appealing. We cannot make the same mistake we made with Ray Allen. Gay is more than solid, and between he and Green, the SF position is still above average. I also like the idea of both Gay/Green on the court at the same time, because they are both fast, which makes a size advantage even more deadly. We manufacture through the trade, sending out Bass/Melo/1st rounder for Gortat/Telfair. Telfair can at least step in on some PG minutes, so Bradley/Terry can continue also filling in the 2-spot.

Some might think Memphis is getting totally heisted. I think though that Pierce RIGHT NOW is > Gay for the rest of this season. His contract is more flexible, and they seem to want to shed some salary for a possible move next season.

The real "fairness" speculation is whether trading Gasol/Bayless is on an equal enough playing-field getting Beasley/Dudley/Melo/1st rounder. Between Memphis and Phoenix 1st rounders, Memphis would also have a great chance at trading in to the top 10 of the 2013/14 draft.

I would argue that maybe Memphis deserves BOTH Phoenix and Boston 1st rounders, instead of Boston's going to the Suns.

Re: BOS/MEM/PHO 3-way blockbuster
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:01:31 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
No offense, but I think we get hosed in this trade. Rudy Gay is not that great. And Gortat, though a nice player, is a complimentary piece. If we are looking at a future without Pierce, we need more potential than Gay and Gortat have to offer.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:23:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
That's terrible for Boston.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:32 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
I figured some homers would gripe about it. Let's look at the reality though. Currently, we suck. Bad. Pierce is close to done. His contracts value is higher now, than it will be if the Celtics keep him through this season. Rondo is done for the year, and I feel that this trade allows the team to not only compete for this season, but also in the future.

Take out the first rounder, or Melo if you feel it's not enough compensation for the Celtics. In reality, we are trading Pierce, Bass (who has sucked huge all season for this team), Melo (unproven), and a 1st.

We get to keep Gay and Gortat for next season. Telfair is not great, but has improved enough to contribute minutes to the unfortunate situation with Rondo being out.

This team as is, would be lucky to hang on to an 8 or 7 seed, and would surely get stomped at some point in the playoffs.

Be real about the situation.

Future lineup next year:

Rondo/Bradley/Gay/KG/Gortat

Green as sixth man, Sullinger

That looks a hell of a lot better than what we would be rolling with going in to next year, IMO.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Not compared to Memphis.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:10:23 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I figured some homers would gripe about it.

That is exactly what is happening. This is a great trade for everyone but Memphis. If their goal is to clear cap space then let's make this happen tomorrow. If their goal is to get value for Gay and Gasol then they don't even take this call.

No way I trade Gasol for  Beasley/Dudley/Melo and a 1st. Makes no sense for them.

Creative trade though. Don't let the negative posts get you down!

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:48 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
NOWAY Memphis ever trades another Gasol. PERIOD.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Not compared to Memphis.

Exactly.  Gasol is a stud Center and Memphis gets back hardly anyting in this trade...  As Charles Barkley would say "just a turrible, turrible trade for Memphis"...

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Gasol-Gay-Randolph-Conley is a contender every year
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
I figured some homers would gripe about it.

That is exactly what is happening. This is a great trade for everyone but Memphis. If their goal is to clear cap space then let's make this happen tomorrow. If their goal is to get value for Gay and Gasol then they don't even take this call.

No way I trade Gasol for  Beasley/Dudley/Melo and a 1st. Makes no sense for them.

Creative trade though. Don't let the negative posts get you down!

Thanks.....for a Boston fan to say this is somehow a bad haul for the Celtics though, was kind of hilarious but also annoyed me.

Like I said in my explanation, Memphis (for whatever reason, I don't think anyone truly understands/knows) has been in talks to unload players like Gay/Gasol/Z-bo. I don't know if it's ownership wanting to lower the cap, if they have a specific FA target next year, and their current roster prevents a future move or what...

I absolutely do agree, that Memphis would only be on board for this kind of deal if under that premise. I think that adjusting the 1st round picks in the trade so Memphis gets BOTH Boston's 2013/14 and Phoenix, would even it out a lot more.

Break down the haul that Memphis gets

Pros:

* Formidable draft haul. Two more 1st rounders, giving them major draft flexibility. Having picks from BOS/PHO plus their own pick, could easily net them a pick between 4-8 range, IMO.

* Instant and future cap relief. They save 3 million in the proposed deal right away, but more importantly, they can waive Pierce at the end of the season, allowing them to make a play on basically any player they so choose in 2013/14. They are already under luxury tax this season, so the $$$ they save in the trade itself (Bayless going to PHO + 2.5 mil difference between Gasol to Dudley/Beasley/Melo = 5.5 million) can go to paying out the guaranteed portion of PP's salary.

If they stand pat with any two of Gay/Gasol/Z-bo (which again, I don't understand all the trade talks, but they are real), they will continue to be the same competitive team, but apparently in the eyes of their ownership, not a legit championship contender (and again, this is not based on my opinion)

Cons:

* Losing Gasol thins out their big rotation this season considerably. They would likely have to roll with a lineup of Z-bo/Beasley/PP/Dudley (or Allen)/Conley, which presents less size overall. I think by next season though, Melo would be developed enough to step in to the Center rotation, and they have virtually a max-money amount to offer up to a Center of their chosing, OR can use their draft surplus to get a cheaper rookie big, and go after another max-type wing, assuming they waive PP (maybe Josh Smith)

* Many, including myself, could also argue that Memphis takes a big step backwards talent-wise this season. I still think they could make the playoffs with the previously mentioned lineup, but there would be almost zero chance of making much noise in the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I like it for the Celtics but no way does Memphis agree to this.

Can't imagine they trade both Gay and Gasol while downgrading to Pierce, Beasley and Dudley.