Author Topic: Trade Rondo for championship  (Read 11980 times)

Re: Trade Rondo for championship
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:37 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Keep Rondo.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Sigh, this blog's bandwagon's are unparalleled in this universe.
We won six in a row and we were going to conference-finals at worst. Lost six in a row and we were lottery bound. Won four in a row again, and now we are lifting a banner.

For a team with aging stars, it's only natural to get this kind of wavy results. We aren't getting anything in return to win a championship, so, there is no point in trading Rondo when his value is at its lowest.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sadly, I'm pretty sure you can only trade players for other players, and you must earn the championships on the court.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 07:54:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
don't see trading Rondo anytime soon.  Everybody will wait to see how he heals up.  Maybe Rondo can work on his shooting  .   He has improved nicely long as he has a wide open shot.

Rondo needs to learn to get himself more of the the short range jumpers like Cp3 to win games or get fouled t.  Rondo needs a closing game.  to earn the respect he wants.  He needs to be able to make a play the last minute of a game to help his team win , be it a shot he gets himself or pass.

Until, he learns to shoot free throws at a high percentage and make a few important shots to win the day for his team the arguments will never end

Rondo needs an attitude adjustment , either play as  team , get everybody touches, no lazy play or stupid clown passes or hit the road .

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
When Rondo was healthy, we had a shot at a championship.  Unless we trade him for a superstar (LeBron, Durant, Howard, Paul, etc.), we aren't winning a championship.  Plus, he's injured.  Nobody is going to trade for a guy who just blew his knee out.

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
don't see trading Rondo anytime soon.  Everybody will wait to see how he heals up.  Maybe Rondo can work on his shooting  .   He has improved nicely long as he has a wide open shot.

Rondo needs to learn to get himself more of the the short range jumpers like Cp3 to win games or get fouled t.  Rondo needs a closing game.  to earn the respect he wants.  He needs to be able to make a play the last minute of a game to help his team win , be it a shot he gets himself or pass.

Rondo makes a good amount of plays in the last minute of a game to help his team win, whether it's a basket, assist, rebound or steal.

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Again, what team is going to give value for Rondo?

No one knows how long he will be out.  A team trading for him have to think that he will be out the max time.

With leaves one season before Rondo has a player option that we know he is going to opt out of.

So, what piece of value are the Celtics going to get for a single year rental of a player no one can be sure of when he returns (again, if a team trades for Rondo, the worst case scenario has to be though of)how good he will still be?

It would be a terrible use of Rondo as piece for the Celtics.  If the Celtics want to trade him, they have to do it when he is playing well.  (or at least playing)

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 09:20:21 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47

No one knows how long he will be out.  A team trading for him have to think that he will be out the max time.

With leaves one season before Rondo has a player option that we know he is going to opt out of.

So, what piece of value are the Celtics going to get for a single year rental of a player no one can be sure of when he returns (again, if a team trades for Rondo, the worst case scenario has to be though of)how good he will still be?

It would be a terrible use of Rondo as piece for the Celtics.  If the Celtics want to trade him, they have to do it when he is playing well.  (or at least playing)

This is not true. Interested teams will listen
to their doctors recommendations. RR is coming back
next season, RR's trade value is not affected very
much because he is still young, nobody is saying this
injury is going to hurt his career. I would bet that
there are at least a handful of teams who would trade
to get Rondo's contract at $11 mil/yr which is good
for 2 more full seasons after this one.

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I agree that Rondo's trade value is down, but it's not like it's gone. Derrick Rose went down hard, and it's not like his value went to zero. He was playing as a top 5 (or so) player in the NBA. Chicago could have traded him for something significant. Boston could get something for Rondo now, but not as much.

It's not like any offers for Rondo last year wowed Danny, so Rondo is likely sticking with the Celts for a while. That said, if we were determined to trade him, I bet we could get maybe 1/2 of what Brooklyn gave up for Deron Williams.

In that deal "The Nets will send Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and cash considerations to Utah for the All-Star point guard." I imagine the Celts could get 1 first rounder and a good young second player back.

That said, I agree that it's not worth trading Rondo now as it's not going to put us over the top or get us full value for what he's still worth. He can return and mesh with our team next year.

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

This is not true. Interested teams will listen
to their doctors recommendations. RR is coming back
next season, RR's trade value is not affected very
much because he is still young, nobody is saying this
injury is going to hurt his career. I would bet that
there are at least a handful of teams who would trade
to get Rondo's contract at $11 mil/yr which is good
for 2 more full seasons after this one.

When did doctors say Rose was going to come back?

Trading Rondo now will give the Celtics the smallest possible return for him.  It makes no sense to trade him now unless the Celtics want to end up the next Bobcats in two years. 

I am all for making a trade that improves the team this season, but not at the expense of selling one true foundational piece the Celtics have at the lowest point of his value.

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Not many teams. But I'll name one: Phoenix. If they felt he'd be back before 1/1/2014, I could see them trading for him.

They need a franchise player who is a winner wicked bad.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Not many teams. But I'll name one: Phoenix. If they felt he'd be back before 1/1/2014, I could see them trading for him.

1)  Do they really have the luxury of taking that gamble

2)  There is no one there I would want back in a trade for Rondo. 

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't see it for either team.

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Luckily we don't need one.

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I think Atlanta would. Bringing in Rondo, makes it far more likely they can keep Josh Smith, and Atlanta has Louis Williams out for the year.  That means Boston could probably pretty easily get Williams and some other assets from Atlanta for Rondo

This would work

Rondo for Williams, Jenkins, Korver/Morrow, 2013 1st (houston its lotto protected), 2014 1st (atlanta)

Pretty solid value for Rondo and a trade that makes sense for the team acquiring him.  Other players could be added to the team from both sides (for example, maybe Boston moves Terry and both Korver and Morrow are included).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip