Author Topic: Trade Rondo for championship  (Read 11997 times)

Trade Rondo for championship
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Well, folks, here we have it:  a test of our collective Auerbachian temperament.

Obviously, the injury changes everything.  No Rondo this season, even for the most optimistic, couldn't get us more than a 2nd round out.  And he might be affected next year as well.

Some say screw it, trade and tank.  I say we raise one more banner this June.

Pierce and KG won't go down without a fight (nor will JET).

Our guard rotation, even without Rondo, is incredibly talented.  Each player is playoff-caliber rotation.  I think we're okay there, but will need to balance the loss of Rondo's talent on the floor.

We have some great young pieces, but need a go-to scorer that can play two-ways.  And we could take him at almost any position, and the other guys can probably fit around just fine.

If Rondo can draw a solid scoring threat, you know, from some other non-Auerbachian team that wants to tank for picks and cap space to rebuild rather than win now and always, then I think we can not only win this year, but be a better team by moving the ball through everyone's hands better.

Chins up, guys.

Re: Trade Rondo for championship
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
this team as is can beat the heat. ill stick with this team.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Same here!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Well, folks, here we have it:  a test of our collective Auerbachian temperament.

Obviously, the injury changes everything.  No Rondo this season, even for the most optimistic, couldn't get us more than a 2nd round out.

Our guard rotation, even without Rondo, is incredibly talented.  Each player is playoff-caliber rotation.  I think we're okay there, but will need to balance the loss of Rondo's talent on the floor.

We have some great young pieces, but need a go-to scorer that can play two-ways.  And we could take him at almost any position, and the other guys can probably fit around just fine.

If Rondo can draw a solid scoring threat, you know, from some other non-Auerbachian team that wants to tank for picks and cap space to rebuild rather than win now and always, then I think we can not only win this year, but be a better team by moving the ball through everyone's hands better.

Chins up, guys.

Each player in our guard rotation is playoff caliber? What does that even mean? What are the playoff records of Lee and Barbosa? How many playoff games has Avery Bradley played in? The only guy playoff tested is Terry and so far this year he has looked terrible in most games.

Each guard is incredibly talented? Really? Incredibly talented?  How do you qualify this? Lee and Bradley are strong defensive guards, but neither is a great offensive player. Terry is a shooter who for the most part does not seem to be able to shoot anymore and Barbosa is a good 4th guard of the bench. If that qualifies as incredibly talented, okay.

As for trading Rondo, I think it might be tough to get a lot back for him given that no one knows how he will play once he returns. I am sure we all expect the best, but who knows?

They beat the Heat ONCE. They are still 2 games under .500.

The Bizarro episode of Celtics Blog continues.......I am actually getting a kick out of this place tonight.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just vague generalizations.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I agree with the OP.

Why cry about it ad give up. The four guards we have now can play the point by comity. I like the Lee/Ab back court.

The only moves I'd make would be for either a big to help KG out or some one that can shoot the three to spread the floor.

It would be unfair for KG and PP to play on a tanking team. I don't think we could really get anything back from them that would help us out in the future.

So I say fight, and if we don't win it all, at least take Miami down with us!

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
don't think he literally meant to trade Rondo.

How bout you take a reading comprehension course, Vinnie?

::)

Actually, I did.

This season, he's out.  Next season, he's still recovering.

During that time, we have two seasons of KG, an allstar big, and a very nice surrounding cast that includes Pierce, a great #2 option at this stage.  The only thing we don't have (as Pierce ages) is a go-to scorer and a pure point guard.

We can live without a pure point guard.  Most teams, and many, many champions, do. 

At present, we have two defensive wonders and two recent former 6POYrs.  Maybe the shortened rotations will clarify things, and I think that group can jell.

We need an offensive closer in his prime more than anything else, either way.  The Miami win doesn't change that.  The injury just adds up to using Rondo, salary filler, a pick, and cash to make it happen.

Rondo, Bass, #1 for a max guy on a team that needs to rebuild.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
don't think he literally meant to trade Rondo.

How bout you take a reading comprehension course, Vinnie?

::)

Really. This is from his post:

"If Rondo can draw a solid scoring threat, you know, from some other non-Auerbachian team that wants to tank for picks and cap space to rebuild rather than win now and always, then I think we can not only win this year, but be a better team by moving the ball through everyone's hands better."

Sounds like he wants to trade Rondo to me. Plus, the title of the thread is "trade Rondo for a championship." Guess he doesn't want to trade him then.

I gotta leave this place for awhile and I am sure most of you won't miss me. All of this talk about the team being better without Rondo is making my head hurt. Adios.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538

drink up shriners!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
how do you trade him now ? he is hurt! WHat you probably could have gotten for him is gone now.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
i have to find a sarcasm font.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
how do you trade him now ? he is hurt! WHat you probably could have gotten for him is gone now.

Yeah, I mean he isn't worth much now!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Obviously, the injury changes everything.  No Rondo this season, even for the most optimistic, couldn't get us more than a 2nd round out.

Chins up, guys.

Each player in our guard rotation is playoff caliber? What does that even mean? What are the playoff records of Lee and Barbosa? How many playoff games has Avery Bradley played in? The only guy playoff tested is Terry and so far this year he has looked terrible in most games.

Each guard is incredibly talented? Really? Incredibly talented?  How do you qualify this? Lee and Bradley are strong defensive guards, but neither is a great offensive player. Terry is a shooter who for the most part does not seem to be able to shoot anymore and Barbosa is a good 4th guard of the bench. If that qualifies as incredibly talented, okay.

It's true that all the guards (sans Barbosa possibly) are playoff rotation caliber, but it's not true that they are incredibly talented. You could claim that they're average(ish) players, but you need well above average players to win in the postseason.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

Yeah, I mean he isn't worth much now!

I think the question is who would he be worth a lot to...

and the answer is obviously a team that is looking ahead, not now, and might want to make something happen to ensure a better team later; basically a team that doesn't have enough and needs another year to put it together (and can wait for ROndo to heal).

SO we don't get a starting allstar in his prime on an incredible contract...but I think there's a good chance we can get in a deal that brings in someone that might put us over the edge this year and next, while only costing Rondo plus a pick and filler.

So call about Rondo/Bass for Gasol straight up (Lakers won't make playoffs anyway and are out west).  Consider other superstars.

Look at some other unhappy star, or someone that will be gone this year anyway (Big Al dreamers can chime in).

THere are just too many options that can help us.  WE have so many guys that could be great #2 options, but need a new #1 on offense for this year and next, at least.

We can do this, guys, but we have go be aggressive and go get it, not pack it in and doom ourselves to the lottery.

Remenber how bad that sucks?

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
LOL. I really really dont get whats going on.

with rondo very very few were confident in this team or winning a championship. He goes down for the year and we're getting these championship threads?

um....doesnt make any sense...

rondo going down for the year didnt make KG and pierce 10 years younger.