Author Topic: Fab Melo D-League thread  (Read 26476 times)

Re: Fab Melo D-League thread
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

By the way, anyone know the nature of the injury that kept him out of the last game?

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/Red-Claws-end-losing-streak-beat-Armor-120-112.html
Maine was also without starters. NBA center Fab Melo and leading scorer and rebounder DaJuan Summer were both in civilian clothes with strained quadricep muscles.

Edit: whoops, someone already posted it before I did.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Strained quadriceps muscles.

A quote from a game recap of the last game:
'Maine was also at less than full strength, missing two of its top post players – 7-foot Celtics draft pick Fab Melo and 6-8 forward DaJuan Summers (both with strained quadriceps muscles).'
That could put him out 1 to 4 weeks. No running, limited lifting. I think, Summers tried coming back too soon from an earlier quad strain and re-injured himself.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Again Fab? -.-
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
He's gonna go back once we pick up a big, right? I want him to keep developing
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
And...he's back. Glad to see he made it through the trade deadline.

The last time I saw the Red Claws, they were an elite D-League team. I stopped watching when Fab Melo stopped playing and got back after he did. Now they're barely staying afloat .500. Read into that what you will.

Andre Barrett is gone, which saddens me. Wish him luck.

Fab Melo has played two games with the Claws since his re-assignment, both against ERI (apparently a very talented D-League team).

I have gone back and re-watched the March 1st game and will catch up to tonight's game when I have the time.

March 1st, ERI @ MNE

Melo had a big game notching 15 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks, a steal and 2 assists.

Our project big came out of the gates scorching, notching a double double (in points and rebounds) halfway through the second.

The second half was less spectacular as far as stat sheet stuffing goes but he continues to play immense defense.

Fab Melo's assignment today was one Henry Sims, a 2013 D-League All-Star. There was some buzz around the forum on this guy being a potential candidate to round out our roster. Sims has gotten the call up from the Hornets after this game. (I personally quite like the little I've researched on him. Seems like a Greg Smith to me.)

As per usual, most of the damage Henry Sims did was when Fab Melo was benched.

The game is a "both teams played bad, the one that made a run won" game.

Despite Melo's strong all round effort in the first half, Maine ended with a sizable deficit in the break. The second half was all Chris Wright as NBA-hopeful led the huge Red Claw run and capped off the night with the game sealing tip.

What Melo did:

At the start, Melo looked far more assertive and confident, night and day from a month ago.

He seemed to be a lot more certain of the schemes in the half court setting as he RAN to his spots rather than bumbling around.

As per usual, his defensive presence is immense. See previous posts for elaboration.

He is crashing those boards. He does not look Sully-like when he does it in that his positioning may be a bit off at times but he is using his towering length and athleticism a lot more than before. Having talked about his positioning, I saw that he's trying a lot harder now to be in the right place, which certainly pays off thanks to his large frame.

Melo's assertiveness also showed in his passing. The 2 assists should really be 4 or 5 if not for botched layups and fumbles. He connected on passes from the high post, one give and go on top of creating from the post. I was definitely impressed by this aspect of his game.

Finally, in the scoring front, he connected on several hook shots and a couple of face up jumpers. Again, he looks confident doing it.

Towards the end of the game, there was a sequence where Melo almost lost the game after a series of mistakes. I see this as an issue of conditioning.

Observations and Conclusions:

The one month stint with the team has definitely helped.

Melo seems to have his head in the game a lot more now and looks a lot more like a professional athlete than he was before. He worked hard before but, now, it seems like he's not afraid to tread on some toes doing his job. Good.

Apart from maximizing his time in the D-League, Ainge and co. may want to look at giving him more call up opportunities, especially as the season winds down and garbage minutes pile up as playoff seedings are set. Pushing Melo a little to adjust the NBA pace with garbage time and/or practicing with the team seems to really have paid off.

I hope Melo realizes that he needs to continue DOMINATING and not be complacent.

------

Having said that, Melo going all in tonight really exposed his need for conditioning.

The second half had him reverting to his former, less aggressive self a little.

The final stint of turnovers Melo had, to me, really confirmed that he was tired (rather than him being a truly bad decision maker).

Sitting Chris Wright also contributed to the mini-meltdown, in my opinion, as the rest of the team struggled (Jeremiah Rivers was especially bad as he put up nothing on the scoreboard in 20 minutes). A tired Melo cannot carry the offensive load.

Here are a few Melo highlights from the game:

Fab ABUSES the mismatch, one of my favorite plays from him this game.
Huge rebound...even though it didn't end up with points, this shows how much the practices have helped.
Great pass by Fab Melo after a PHYSICAL pick.
Runs straight to the post and finds Wright for the easy jam. On the ensuing possession, he almost connects on another one.
First bucket is a very confident bank shot.
Melo attacks the offensive boards again, something I love seeing.
Again, the confidence he has now really shows as he connects on another pass.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:12:31 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I think that the best part of the Fab Melo experience thus far is that, for good or bad, he is always impacting the game. The only place that he disappears a little bit is on the glass. Otherwise, defensive shutdowns happen when he slides well, and defensive breakdowns happen when he messes up. Guys get open when he sets good screens and he gets points when he manages to get good position on offense. He gets double teams. On the flip side, the Red Claws look like they are turning it over a ton trying to get him the ball in the post.

He still just looks slow to me. He should be in shape by now, right? Is this just lack of anticipation, or is he really slow?

He also guarded Henry Sims the way he guarded Kyle O'Quinn- from his heels. He seems a little bit too easy to face up.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
Extra basketball before the Hawks game...if you are so inclined.

Disappointing showing last game from Fab. I'll admit I gave up after the first quarter.

Hoping for good things in this one.

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Absolutely loved the Sullinger pick.

And I still shake my head sadly at this one.

Oh, well. I guess one out of two isn't bad from Ainge, in light of the Purduo.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Absolutely loved the Sullinger pick.

And I still shake my head sadly at this one.

Oh, well. I guess one out of two isn't bad from Ainge, in light of the Purduo.
etwaun isnt doing horribly

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He still just looks slow to me. He should be in shape by now, right? Is this just lack of anticipation, or is he really slow?

He was not what I would call an elite college player.   So why do people expect him to be a great pro?   He is a project, he could either pan out or flame out folks.

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
What's he up to?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
What's he up to?

Getting a lot of blocks due to size and athleticism. Not really excelling in any other area. Leads the d-league in blocks per game over varnado.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
watched parts of recent games on youtube for red claws. melo seems to be playing better than early on, but has a ways to go.

a nice right handed hook shot, gets it off very very quickly, impossible to stop.

his defense is more now than parking under the basket. he moves better, seems to adjust better...but as i said, has a ways to go.

his rebounding still is disappointing for his size and quickness.

right now, he looks more talented than perk did in his first year. it took perk 3 years to become a credible center in the nba.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I just want two things from Fab:

-block shots and scare players from the middle
-make 60+% of his shots from within 3 feet

Anything else is a bonus, but I'd like 5 rebounds at least. I don't care if he gets 1 point a game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

So... Maine watchers... what's wrong with Fab? His stats are beyond terrible this week, capped by an 18 minute, 6 foul, 4 rebound performance on Saturday.

For those of you going to Red Claws games, are you starting to give up on Fab? Is he hurt?