Author Topic: Biggest blockbuster of all time (idea)  (Read 4854 times)

Biggest blockbuster of all time (idea)
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aomuwps

Lakers trade:  Pau, Dwight
Lakers get:  Melo, Tyson Chandler

Miami trades:  D Wade, Battier
Miami gets:  Iman Shumpert, Pau

NYK trades:  Melo, Chandler
NYK gets:  Wade, Battier, Dwight

My motivation is this:
-I really don't feel that Wade is a great fit alongside Lebron, I feel like he's sharply declining and will continue trending that way, they are already deep at the wing position and their frontcourt is the place of need for them.  This is the team I'm least crazy about this deal for.
-Lakers need to do SOMETHING.  D'Antoni has said he would prefer Chandler as a center over Dwight, so why not make a trade involving the 2 of them?  Pau clearly doesn't fit D'Antoni's style either, and Melo at the 4 would be an amazing fit in that system.  Kobe and Melo have great respect for eachother and have played together for team USA.
-NYK have something pretty good going already, but acquiring Dwight Howard is something you generally do at all costs.  I think a Mike Woodson system would be perfect for Dwight and he would play very well together with Wade in an offense where the 2 of them get a lot of isolation opportunities.

Thoughts?  Can you put together a better blockbuster?  I've got one other idea...
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Biggest blockbuster of all time (idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

My motivation is this:
-I really don't feel that Wade is a great fit alongside Lebron, I feel like he's sharply declining and will continue trending that way, they are already deep at the wing position and their frontcourt is the place of need for them.  This is the team I'm least crazy about this deal for.
-Lakers need to do SOMETHING.  D'Antoni has said he would prefer Chandler as a center over Dwight, so why not make a trade involving the 2 of them?  Pau clearly doesn't fit D'Antoni's style either, and Melo at the 4 would be an amazing fit in that system.  Kobe and Melo have great respect for eachother and have played together for team USA.
-NYK have something pretty good going already, but acquiring Dwight Howard is something you generally do at all costs.  I think a Mike Woodson system would be perfect for Dwight and he would play very well together with Wade in an offense where the 2 of them get a lot of isolation opportunities.

Thoughts?  Can you put together a better blockbuster?  I've got one other idea...

I actually really like this trade for all teams and it works in the trade machine.  Way to go sir. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would pay to see the drama of Kobe & Melo on the same team.

It'd be like the Real House Husbands of LA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

My motivation is this:

I don't know if the above teams would pull the trigger, especially Miami (who is defending the NBA title and is currently in 1st place) and New York (who is having their best season in a relly long time).  It seems like a big risk to take for the defending champion.

Aside from that, I think it would make all three teams better.  It makes sense financially and on the court.  Excellent blockbuster, perhaps the best "fantasy trade" I've ever seen.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the idea of D-Wade for Pau Gasol is interesting but neither Iman Shumpert or Shane Battier should be involved in the deal.

Battier is too important with his defense and shooting ability (two way player). And if moving Wade for lesser perimeter players, it's important to bring in shooters to create that optimum floor spacing for LeBron. Shumpert is too much of a liability offensively with his lack of shooting, bad shot selection and turnover prone ways.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Nitpicking here, but Heat wouldn't trade Battier in that trade, would try to get rid of Mike Miller.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I really like the idea of Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony together especially with a low usage defensive minded center like Tyson Chandler doing the dirty.

There is no place for a Steve Nash in that type of a team though. He wouldn't have the ball in his hands. Melo and Kobe would be monopolizing time on the ball and shot attempts. Nash would pretty much be relegated to being the equivalent of Steve Blake in that situation.

Need to continue to surround Kobe and Melo with low usage offensive players who are high level shooters and defensively capable players. It would probably be too hard to find that in a PF so continue to use Carmelo there and bring in a SF to stretch the floor.

A Nash for Battier swap might make some sense for both teams.

Battier would be a great glue guy for LA and offer more to a Melo/Kobe team than Nash would. His defensive value far exceeds Nash and he gives LA a strong spot-up shooter to space the floor. Unlike Artest, he is not a head case who will have trouble accepting his role behind Melo/Kobe and will not cause problems.

Nash could take up some of the touches that the departing Wade would leave behind. Probably take the ball a bit too much out of Pau Gasol's and Chris Bosh's hands but Nash would add enough to make that worthwhile.

Miami would get kind of weak on their perimeter defense though. No Wade. No Battier. Reduced role for Chalmers. Larger role for Ray. Incoming Steve Nash. Reduced perimeter quickness as well as a decline defensively.

I actually think Miami would have more reason to turn down a Nash for Battier swap than the Lakers would.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
New York is the one I hesitate on the most.

The Knicks are playing very well. They have great chemistry. The pieces fit together nicely for the most part.

Then there is the players involved. Wade is declining and may only have a short number of high level years left. Dwight is coming off a major injury and has yet to regain his MVP form. I am still hopeful Dwight will but it is a major question mark.

Carmelo is playing excellent basketball and Tyson Chandler has been very healthy the last two and half years. As of now, I'd take Melo ahead of Wade or Dwight. I think he is playing the best basketball of the three of them. And importantly, he is the healthiest and a couple of years younger than Wade.

I think I'd go with a lower risk move if I were New York.

I'd keep Melo and Tyson and continue to build around them. And I'd look to move Amare and Shumpert and any other pieces that don't quite fit in.

The risk of Wade and Dwight is just too high for me.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
If you plugged in Ray Allen for Battier would the trade math still work?
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
If you plugged in Ray Allen for Battier would the trade math still work?

I was trying to find a SF for the Knicks since they are losing Melo and getting back a SG in Wade.  They could go with Wade at SF, but if they need to guard taller SF's like Pierce, Granger, Deng, and Lebron on their way to the finals, they probably would prefer a taller SF like Battier.

I think Who's idea of including Mike Miller might work.  But again, the defense comes into play.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
New York is the one I hesitate on the most.

The Knicks are playing very well. They have great chemistry. The pieces fit together nicely for the most part.

Then there is the players involved. Wade is declining and may only have a short number of high level years left. Dwight is coming off a major injury and has yet to regain his MVP form. I am still hopeful Dwight will but it is a major question mark.

Carmelo is playing excellent basketball and Tyson Chandler has been very healthy the last two and half years. As of now, I'd take Melo ahead of Wade or Dwight. I think he is playing the best basketball of the three of them. And importantly, he is the healthiest and a couple of years younger than Wade.

I think I'd go with a lower risk move if I were New York.

I'd keep Melo and Tyson and continue to build around them. And I'd look to move Amare and Shumpert and any other pieces that don't quite fit in.

The risk of Wade and Dwight is just too high for me.

Amare is just nearly impossible to move.

I agree that the Knicks are playing well and do have great chemistry.  Here's my question to you:  Are the Knicks legitimate contenders right now? 

We have differing opinions on Dwight I know from other threads.  I still find him to be a top 4 player in the NBA while he obviously hasn't played like it this year.  I think Melo is slightly above, but very much close to Wade's level.  If Wade was playing on that Knicks team and not in Lebron's shadow, I think we'd see similar production.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

My motivation is this:

Any trade that doesn't help our rivals is inherently better than that one.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
I really like the idea of Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony together especially with a low usage defensive minded center like Tyson Chandler doing the dirty.

There is no place for a Steve Nash in that type of a team though. He wouldn't have the ball in his hands. Melo and Kobe would be monopolizing time on the ball and shot attempts. Nash would pretty much be relegated to being the equivalent of Steve Blake in that situation.

Need to continue to surround Kobe and Melo with low usage offensive players who are high level shooters and defensively capable players. It would probably be too hard to find that in a PF so continue to use Carmelo there and bring in a SF to stretch the floor.

Battier would be a great glue guy for LA and offer more to a Melo/Kobe team than Nash would. His defensive value far exceeds Nash and he gives LA a strong spot-up shooter to space the floor. Unlike Artest, he is not a head case who will have trouble accepting his role behind Melo/Kobe and will not cause problems.

Nash could take up some of the touches that the departing Wade would leave behind. Probably take the ball a bit too much out of Pau Gasol's and Chris Bosh's hands but Nash would add enough to make that worthwhile.

Miami would get kind of weak on their perimeter defense though. No Wade. No Battier. Reduced role for Chalmers. Larger role for Ray. Incoming Steve Nash. Reduced perimeter quickness as well as a decline defensively.

I actually think Miami would have more reason to turn down a Nash for Battier swap than the Lakers would.

This sounds absurd talent-wise, but what about instead of Battier, involving a Chalmers for Nash swap?  Nash and Cole split the minutes at PG.  Chalmers provides that outside shooting in LA around Kobe and Melo.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

This sounds absurd talent-wise, but what about instead of Battier, involving a Chalmers for Nash swap?  Nash and Cole split the minutes at PG.  Chalmers provides that outside shooting in LA around Kobe and Melo.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Chalmers is such a nice piece because he is on a cost-effective contract and is still relatively young. Lots of added value there outside of his basketball abilities (which I think are undervalued).

I do think that a Chalmers for Nash swap, as ludicrous as it sounds, would be a beneficial deal for LA to make. Much better defensive player. Better rebounder. Better fit offensively playing alongside Melo and Kobe. Can accept and flourish with the reduced role unlike Nash who'll struggle with it. Chalmers would be fantastic there.

I would try for Battier instead of Chalmers if I were LA because I think finding a complementary forward to put alongside Carmelo Anthony is a more difficult task than finding a spot up shooter at PG. Plus, I would really want to reduce Artest's role in the team. That guy causes a lot of problems for a limited player (nowadays). So I would rate Battier ahead of Chalmers for LA.

If I am Miami, I do knot know which piece I'd value more. Chalmers or Battier.

Nash is only a 28-30 minute a night player so the PG position needs a strong backup because there is a lot of minutes available there. Chalmers is good enough to play some combo guard minutes alongside Nash as well.

Then again, Battier is the only other plus defender on the wing outside of LeBron + he gives them lineup flexibility if they want to go small. Not a fan of Norris Cole at backup PG. Not good enough.

Battier would be very useful in matching up against Brooklyn's Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace. Beside those two, the rest of the two guards in the East playoff picture aren't all that big at the two guard spot (Rip is a thin spindly thing, Bradley is tiny, Kidd is a big PG or Wade a small quick SG). Not sure there are enough necessary matchups there for Battier.

I think Chalmers might have more value to Miami than Battier. Not a lot in it though.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
This trade will not happen purely for the fact that there's too many big names.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"