Author Topic: Are you kidding me?  (Read 22124 times)

Are you kidding me?
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »

Offline phonic1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
We couldn't find a single playoff team that could use Ray Allen?  What about Pietrus?  How about Bass?  Maybe even KG to the right team.  I figured after the Wilcox news (which is sad in itself that losing Chris Wilcox should have such a disastrous effect on a team) that we'd waive the white flag and desperately snatch up as many 1st/2nd round picks as possible.  This team doesn't have a center!  We barely have a PF!  This team doesn't have a lot of things!  Did Ainge p--- off all the GM's around the league or something? 

Worst part is, now we have to trot out the big 3 and whatever's left of this team, only to be semi-competitive and hurt our chances at a decent draft pick.  Greaaaaaat...

Re: Are you kidding me?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Watch, in the coming weeks one of the Big Three will get hurt and be out for the year. But only so we end up with the 14th pick in this draft. Total Fail.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Yup. What we end up with is two picks outside the lottery which obviously won't help and lots of cap space to sign... nobody? If they're planning to re-sign the Big 3, then I ask myself what the point is. We're not winning anything this year, and it's getting worse with every coming season. I'm afraid this team looks like jumping on the mediocrity train for several years to come.

BTW, my 2,000th post.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
We couldn't find a single playoff team that could use Ray Allen?  What about Pietrus?  How about Bass?  Maybe even KG to the right team.  I figured after the Wilcox news (which is sad in itself that losing Chris Wilcox should have such a disastrous effect on a team) that we'd waive the white flag and desperately snatch up as many 1st/2nd round picks as possible.  This team doesn't have a center!  We barely have a PF!  This team doesn't have a lot of things!  Did Ainge p--- off all the GM's around the league or something? 

Worst part is, now we have to trot out the big 3 and whatever's left of this team, only to be semi-competitive and hurt our chances at a decent draft pick.  Greaaaaaat...

Doc has said that no one was offering 1st round picks for any of the Celtics.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112

You are out of your [dang] mind. This team is still [dang] good. What has caused the confusion about the quality of this team is this very random, shortened lockout season where the Celtics have had some of the worst luck you can possibly have with regards to injuries. This Celtics squad has played some amazing basketball against some great squads, and have had a number of very positive looking moments during a number of games.

The Celtics were losing because they were hurting themselves. I still see a team that can beat any team out there in a 7 game series. Why the heck would we want to throw away a team that can still compete on even footing with the best teams in the league only to diminish the squad to a horrible rebuild effort that won't last?

The pieces we have are pieces that any top team would love to have if only we were willing to give them up for little to nothing. Ray Allen's cool under pressure and amazing 3 point shooting ability is something every team in this league wants. Pierce's still completely versatile style of play and raw scoring ability is something every team in this league wants. KG? Are you kidding me? He's playing some unbelievable basketball right now, and is still one of the league's top defenders. You just don't give things like that way.

Wave the white flag after wilcox gets hurt? Unbelievable... It sucks that we lost Wilcox. it sucks that we lost Jeff Green. I loved both guys, but this team is still [dang] good. Mark my words, when next season gets underway, this team will have the same kind of amazing start that they've always had. A lot of crappy circumstances just put this team in a bad way coming into this season, but this is still a quality squad no matter what anyone says. You don't just give up any of these amazing pieces to needlessly strengthen some other team's push towards a championship. You give up the wrong guy on this team, and we will never be the same.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
This team has a couple unusual things going for it that are favorable:

1. A group of guys - KG, Pierce, Bass, Ray, Rondo, Pietrus, Bradley, Dooling and even Stiemsma lately - that are very scrappy, tough and relentless with their effort.

2. This is a very, very tough and mentally scrappy team

3. Great Chemistry - a ton of heart

4. Great talent when clicking

5. Clutch performers

The above five factors shouldn't be underestimated.

We could have another injury - but you know, Perk went down in 2010 too... and even had we added another player we needed, it wouldn't prevent whatever injury may or may not come.

Don't give up on these guys - they won't give up on you, that's one thing we know for sure.

lastly, it's also possible that we still add one more big on a buy out. 

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Hey relax we have cap room this summer.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »

Offline riffic92

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
We couldn't find a single playoff team that could use Ray Allen?  What about Pietrus?  How about Bass?  Maybe even KG to the right team.

I'm sure plenty of teams wanted them. trades have two sides to them, though. and our side is more important when considering our trades

Quote from: phonic1
We barely have a PF! 

what?

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

1. A group of guys - KG, Pierce, Bass, Ray, Rondo, Pietrus, Bradley, Dooling and even Stiemsma lately - that are very scrappy, tough and relentless with their effort.

5. Clutch performers

We could have another injury - but you know, Perk went down in 2010 too... and even had we added another player we needed, it wouldn't prevent whatever injury may or may not come.

Don't give up on these guys - they won't give up on you, that's one thing we know for sure.

TP.  That's my favorite post of the day.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

5. Clutch performers

TP.  That's my favorite post of the day.

+1. The playoffs will show how much left KG and Ray have in their tanks. And from there, danny should know exactly how to make use of the team's cap space in order to see if the Big 3 can make another go a it next season. Maybe Ray can be 6th man of the year...

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
5-10 percent chance of winning it all. It's a chance, but barely.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I totally don't understand what the OP and people of the same opinion are thinking.  What exactly is some late first round pick going to get us?  Nearly every late first round pick is either a role player or out of the league in under 5 years. 

To see more, see my post on the #22 pick in the Epic Fail Thread:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=54595.msg1169120#msg1169120

Whatever small chance we have at winning a title this year, we have an even smaller chance of getting an impact player that late in the draft. 

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I wonder what our chances were in 09-10 playoffs.......?

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

5. Clutch performers

This post sounds like a large dose of UBUNTU.

TP.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I wonder what our chances were in 09-10 playoffs.......?

A good point.  And while I'm less enthusiastic about some about the C's chances here, we shouldn't forget that most of the complaints about this team have been the same for the entire Big Three Era.

1) We aren't athletic or big enough.  In case people forget, the Atlanta Hawks took us 7 games in '08 largely because they outrebounded and stuffed our unathletic, undersized big men like BBD and Perk under the basket.  

2) The team coasts too much.  This happened the past two years, and we still managed to come within 6 minutes of winning the title in '09-10 (with really only 4 big men on the whole team).  

3) This team is too old.  See above.  

Again, this no guarantee about this year.  They are older, and likely have lost a step (though you can argue KG is playing better than '09-10, and maybe even last year lately).  But it should be fun to see them give it one last try.