Author Topic: Epic Fail  (Read 21087 times)

Re: Epic Fail
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Ainge really dropped the ball. He had two 1st rounders and expiring contracts worth roughly $15 million to bring in a rent-a-vet like Kaman and didn't get it done...

Banking on Kaman getting bought out and signing with Boston.

I wouldn't sacrifice a 1st round pick for 25 games of Kaman.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Seriously, Ainge cannot win with you people.

If he doesn't trade, you are upset because he had two first round picks and didn't flip them for value.

On the other hand, you people are also saying that the draft is the only way teams improve.

You can't have it both ways.

This site is multiple people with different opinions.

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »

Offline Cap!

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I donīt have words for this.

The last time I was this disappointed was when we lost game 7 to the Lakers.

"Epic fail" is too weak to describe the Celticsī inability to trade their stars for anything at this deadline.

This could become one of the biggest "what ifīs" in the history of this franchise, along with Len Bias and the 1997 Draft. Iīm totally devastated.

Sorry, but I have to call you on this. The idea that you could compare this to Game 7 let alone the tragedy of Len Bias is absurd. As far as trading Ray for Hansborogh and a first, I'm psyched he didn't. Hansborough is overrated. He is about as unwilling a passing big man as I've ever seen (It took... what 20 games to get his first assist lol). Not a great defender either.

The first is nice but does nothing to help us win this year. While we are a long shot, I'd rather take a shot at #18 with these guys then blow it up with no guarantee of anything.

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge really dropped the ball. He had two 1st rounders and expiring contracts worth roughly $15 million to bring in a rent-a-vet like Kaman and didn't get it done...

Having the kind of GM who would be willing to trade two first rounders for a rental of Kaman is probably the quickest way to the lottery.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I am very disappointed. I feel like we didn't make up our minds as to what we were going to do.

If we wanna make one last run we should have added some more pieces. There were opportunities out there that didn't involve giving up a first. Felton/Crawford could have provided fire power off the bench for example.

If we don't feel like we are good enough to compete then move Ray to Indiana for a pick or do a deal like Portland did for Wallace but use Pierce instead.

I just feel like by doing nothing it's a waste of the rest of the season. Cap Space has done nothing for New Jersey so I my hopes aren't hopeful it will for us.

We should have gone for the ring this year or got a jump start on the rebuild by moving some of these guys for assets instead of likely letting them walk for nothing.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
nvm
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »

Offline Cap!

• Jordan Walsh
I am very disappointed. I feel like we didn't make up our minds as to what we were going to do.

If we wanna make one last run we should have added some more pieces. There were opportunities out there that didn't involve giving up a first. Felton/Crawford could have provided fire power off the bench for example.

If we don't feel like we are good enough to compete then move Ray to Indiana for a pick or do a deal like Portland did for Wallace but use Pierce instead.

I just feel like by doing nothing it's a waste of the rest of the season. Cap Space has done nothing for New Jersey so I my hopes aren't hopeful it will for us.

We should have gone for the ring this year or got a jump start on the rebuild by moving some of these guys for assets instead of likely letting them walk for nothing.

If there were pieces that would have fit under the cap that would have helped us, Ainge would have made the move. Don't give up hope. Someone could get bought out who could help the C's. Let's see what happens there before we start crying.

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Am I surprised?  Yes.  I didn't think Danny had this much self control.

However, I also applaud Danny for the following:

1) Not making a stupid deal for a mediocre big man when he probably obtain one either via buyout or D-League.  Let's not forget that Danny may very well know Kaman is being bought out and he may even have spoken to him about coming here.  

2) Not trading the Big Three for future role players and late first round picks.  I would've been all for trading any of the Big Three for someone or something that had a shot at being a future core of a championship team.  But that simply wasn't in the cards.  

Larry Bird apparently shot down Ray for Tyler Hansborough and a first round pick.  If that's true, I'm very happy.  What the heck good would that have done us?  Hansborough is averaging 9 points, 4 boards and shooting 39% from the field.  At best he's a role player on a championship team.  And guys like that a) shouldn't occupy cap space before we get our future stars, and b) are a dime a dozen and can be obtained on the free agent market or second round (see Ryan Gomes, Leon Powe, BBD, James Posey, Marquis Daniels, Mikael Pietrus, Chris Wilcox, etc.).

Secondly, the Indy pick is the 22nd pick overall right now. Here are the picks at #22 going back to 1997:

1997-Ed Gray
1998-Brian Skinner
1999-Kenny Thomas
2000-Donnell Harvey
2001-Jeryl Sasser
2002-Casey Jacobsen
2003-Zoran Planicic
2004-Viktor Khryapa
2005-Jarrett Jack
2006-Marcus Williams
2007-Jared Dudley
2008-Courtney Lee
2009-Victor Claver
2010-Eliot Williams
2011-Kenneth Faried

Thus, as you can see, the #22 pick has a long line of duds and mediocre role players.  Jarrett Jack is probably the best on that list and even he's certainly not some "can't miss" prospect that would've catapulted a team towards a title.  

And this is a deal that Bird TURNED DOWN.  

So I don't see how people can be upset with Danny.  

There was absolutely no point in breaking up the Big Three to get pieces that were a) going to be mediocre role players or b) likely weren't even going to be mediocre role player long term for us, since there's no way Danny was going to waste valuable cap space to sign a guy like Hansborough when his contract is up and jeopardize space for true star quality players.  

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I haven't read any posts yet but we can obviously still add players bought out, unretired or free agent and d league pick ups. However, for us to actually WIN a title this year now, Steemer is going to have to take it up another notch even from here. He has been wonderful for the last 2 games. Not perfect, but wonderful. And we would also need JO for ten. I guess we'll see but I still have some hope but it will be dashed if there is no JO and or if Steimsma doesn't keep playing well

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »

Offline Cap!

• Jordan Walsh

1) Not making a stupid deal for a mediocre big man when he probably obtain one either via buyout or D-League.  Let's not forget that Danny may very well know Kaman is being bought out and he may even have spoken to him about coming here.  

2) Not trading the Big Three for future role players and late first round picks.  I would've been all for trading any of the Big Three for someone or something that had a shot at being a future core of a championship team.  But that simply wasn't in the cards.  

Larry Bird apparently shot down Ray for Tyler Hansborough and a first round pick.  If that's true, I'm very happy.  What the heck good would that have done us?  Hansborough is averaging 9 points, 4 boards and shooting 39% from the field.  At best he's a role player on a championship team.  And guys like that a) shouldn't occupy cap space before we get our future stars, and b) are a dime a dozen and can be obtained on the free agent market or second round (see Ryan Gomes, Leon Powe, BBD, James Posey, Marquis Daniels, Mikael Pietrus, Chris Wilcox, etc.).

Secondly, the Indy pick is the 22nd pick overall right now. Here are the picks at #22 going back to 1997:

1997-Ed Gray
1998-Brian Skinner
1999-Kenny Thomas
2000-Donnell Harvey
2001-Jeryl Sasser
2002-Casey Jacobsen
2003-Zoran Planicic
2004-Viktor Khryapa
2005-Jarrett Jack
2006-Marcus Williams
2007-Jared Dudley
2008-Courtney Lee
2009-Victor Claver
2010-Eliot Williams
2011-Kenneth Faried

Thus, as you can see, the #22 pick has a long line of duds and mediocre role players.  Jarrett Jack is probably the best on that list and even he's certainly not some "can't miss" prospect that would've catapulted a team towards a title.  

There was absolutely no point in breaking up the Big Three to get pieces that were a) going to be mediocre role players or b) likely weren't even going to be mediocre role player long term for us, since there's no way Danny was going to waste valuable cap space to sign a guy like Hansborough when his contract is up and jeopardize space for true star quality players.  

Best post in the thread, hands down!!!!!!  :)

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Seriously, Ainge cannot win with you people.

If he doesn't trade, you are upset because he had two first round picks and didn't flip them for value.

On the other hand, you people are also saying that the draft is the only way teams improve.

You can't have it both ways.

Let me just say, I think the best thing Ainge has done in 2 years was keep the 2 first round picks.

Especially if the Celts can stink it up a little more and gain a few spots so they can get one of the BIG FISH in the draft.

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
So wait. Isn't Danny Ainge the same guy who said he wasn't going to make the same mistake that Red made and end up with three aging superstars? Guess he must have changed his mind.  Maybe there was nothing he could do, but it makes no sense. This team's front court is so weak it is painful. Danny must be happy with a first or second round out in the playoffs.

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
So wait. Isn't Danny Ainge the same guy who said he wasn't going to make the same mistake that Red made and end up with three aging superstars? Guess he must have changed his mind.  Maybe there was nothing he could do, but it makes no sense. This team's front court is so weak it is painful. Danny must be happy with a first or second round out in the playoffs.

our old guys are expiring in a couple of months, so I think Danny will be happy with the cap space and two 1st rounders in a deep draft. He was a wise man and planned well, there was no need to panic

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
to be honest, I dont quite get being upset with danny ainge for not making a move..

would you guys want danny to move the big 3 for 50cents on the dollar?? I would expect the same people(felger etc.) would be crucifying danny for doing a bad deal...

fact is, these guys are Coming off the books this summer...danny doesnt have to make a move to "clear space" so he went to see if he could get any QUALITY youth, picks for our big 3.

the sad fact is, no one put value on those guys so danny stood pat...now he goes into thie summer with pierce, rondo, alot of capspace and 2 first round picks...not bad for a rebuilding team

Would have been thrilled with 3 first round picks, one each for the big 3, plus expirings where necessary.  We suck, get a lottery pick of our own and 4 other first round picks, to take, or deal for better picks or players!  Now we've got squat, except for cap space that we can't use, cause there are no good FA's next year, or because noone wants to play in Boston!

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:26 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

1997-Ed Gray
1998-Brian Skinner
1999-Kenny Thomas
2000-Donnell Harvey
2001-Jeryl Sasser
2002-Casey Jacobsen
2003-Zoran Planicic
2004-Viktor Khryapa
2005-Jarrett Jack
2006-Marcus Williams
2007-Jared Dudley
2008-Courtney Lee
2009-Victor Claver
2010-Eliot Williams
2011-Kenneth Faried

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I'm happy things wen't down like they did today. It was the best that we could really do.
Peace through Tyranny