Author Topic: 2011 CB Draft Northwest Division Press Conference  (Read 58131 times)

2011 CB Draft Northwest Division Press Conference
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Northwest Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Utah Jazz - Kane

OKC Thunder - celticpride07

Portlandia Trailblazers - IndeedProceed

Denver Nuggets - KWhit10
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:20:38 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: 2011 CelticsBlog Draft Board
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The Utah Jazz

Coach:  Larry Brown

Brown is the only person to ever win both the NCAA and NBA championships as a Head Coach. Outside of the Isiah led Knicks Brown has improved every team he has ever coached. He has succeeded in many ways, from coaching one of the ultimate teams the league has ever seen in the 2004 Pistons to making an incredible finals run with a team solely built around the talents of Allen Iverson. Few have the experience and knowledge that Brown possesses. He coaches his teams "to play the right way." With a veteran team led by Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce Brown should have no trouble instilling his philosophies in Utah.

PF) Kevin Garnett

PPG      RPG    APG      BPG    SPG    MPG
14.9       8.9        2.4       0.8     1.3       31.3

Kevin Garnett had done it all in the NBA, except take his team to a title. He checked that one off his to-do list in 2008 after an epic trade from the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Celtics. KG is one of the most intense, demanding and dedicated players to ever set foot on the hardwood. This was true when he was at the top of his game, and it is still rings true today. Perhaps no one contributes more to team defense then KG. (see quote below)

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Celtics are averaging 101.9 points per 48 minutes with Garnett on the court, while their opponents put up 91.2 points per 48 minutes. In other words, the Celtics outscore their opponents by an average of 10.7 points per 48 minutes with him playing.

But when Garnett is not playing -- both when he has missed games and when he is on the bench -- the Celtics put up 97.1 points per 48 minutes compared with their opponents' 95.0 -- just a 2.1-point advantage.
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=4846419

Also don't be fooled by KG's numbers. 15 and 9 in 30 minutes of play is incredibly efficient. Also his numbers across the board increased during the playoffs.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/261/kevin-garnett

SF) Paul Pierce

18.9        5.4        3.3       0.6     1.0       34.7

The Truth hurts—especially when it comes in the form of the sweet jump shot and competitive fire of Paul Pierce, who goes by the same nickname. Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers learned this the hard way in 2008, when Paul led the Boston Celtics to a stirring six-game victory in the NBA Finals. An all-around talent the likes of which Beantown fans haven’t seen since the halcyon days of Larry Bird, Paul proved he can indeed do it all, and then some. When Paul finally got a couple of talented running mates in his 10th season, few doubted that he would blend quickly with them. He has the kind of game that can compliment or be complimented by great players. When Paul has the ball in the open court, he is one of the most dominant players in the NBA. He can knock down threes, slash to the hoop or pull up for short, twisting jumpshots. He is especially deadly when a game is on the line—he ranks among the top clutch shooters in team history and relishes going to the foul line. Paul is a strong, smooth player with a nose for the basket. He is one of the best shooters in the NBA, and his ability to sell a ball fake ranks with the all-time best. Paul is often fouled before he even starts his shot. He must be guarded closely inside and outside. Paul is a good defender with excellent anticipation and great body strength. He uses these attributes to battle for rebounds as well as any small forward in the league. Also much like KG Pierce saw his numbers increase in the playoffs.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/662/paul-pierce

C) Al Jefferson

18.6       9.7       1.8        1.9       0.6       35.9

+ Prodigious left-block post scorer with tremendous hands and great footwork.

Jefferson doesn't have hands so much as giant claws, which he uses to catch everything around the basket and throw in short-range shots that are halfway between a hook and a jumper. That's when he's forced to his right -- let him turn baseline with his drop-step move and you're dead.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/2389/al-jefferson

Al's first season as a Jazz-man brought a few ups and downs the way of No. 25 and his Utah brethren. The in-season departures of coach Jerry Sloan and point guard Deron Williams were a shock to the system, but Al didn't back away from the challenges. Instead, he saw the need for a new leader and stepped up to become part of the the foundation for a young team to build on. It was an injury-riddled season for the Jazz, but No. 25 started in all 82 games during the regular season. Big Al also regained some of his explosiveness in 2011, showing he was fully recovered from the devastating knee injury he suffered in 2009. Al tallied 794 total rebounds–the second highest total of his career.

"Last year, he never regained his 'pop'," said Al’s former coach Kurt Rambis. "[Now] you can clearly see it–just the way that he runs and moves and jumps and how quick he is and how explosive he is. He’s back to the old Al Jefferson.”

PG) Baron Davis

13.1       2.7        6.7       0.5       1.3       28.4

Baron Davis is not a man to shrink from a challenge. The powerhouse point guard has led bad teams with poor prospects to amazing victories, along the way earning the admiration of friends, foes and fans around the NBA.

+ Big, athletic point guard who can overpower small guards in post.

+ Good shooter with feet set but takes horrible shots, especially in 2-for-1s.

+ Outstanding defender when motivated, but often hurt or distracted.

OK, Baron, this is getting ridiculous. Davis launched four 3-pointers a game and connected on only 27.7 percent of them. If he had done virtually anything else with those possessions -- passed to somebody else, driven the lane, quick-kicked, anything -- he probably would have been an All-Star. Instead, he's descended into the league's "honorable mention" category at the point guard position, because you can't waste this many possessions on such a low-likelihood proposition.

That's a shame, because the rest of his game is still really good. Davis captured seventh in pure point rating, led all point guards in blocks per minute and nabbed eighth in steals per minute. He shot a career-best 82.1 percent from the line and ranked above the league average at his position in every category except two: field goal percentage and true shooting percentage.

Unfortunately, he's been too stubborn to stop hoisting contested 3s off the dribble, and until that changes, he's just another good point guard.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/194/baron-davis

Hollinger says it all, but I think playing along side KG and Pierce on this veteran team will do wonders for Davis because when there is a fire lit under Davis he can be a top 7 or 8 point guard presently. AND no one lights a fire under guys like Kevin Garnett.

SG) Caron Butler

15.0       4.1        1.6       0.3      1.0        29.0

Butler suffered a season-ending knee injury in January, but is already close to a return to full contact. He's still only 30 and averaged 15.0 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 29 games prior to the injury. Considering the Mavs need wing defenders, we'd expect a deal to get worked out here via Mark Cuban's deep pockets. Jun 14, 11:16 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/857/caron-butler

Considering that was June 14th, it is safe to assume Butler will be back 100% this upcoming season. Butler is a good one-on-one scorer who likes to shoot line-drive mid-range jumpers. He has 3-point range but also can get to basket, and is a decent passer when motivated. Butler also anticipates well for steals but gives little defensive effort otherwise. (KG will help with that) For the position he is a solid rebounder. Butler will play a lot with the second unit moving to the SF when Pierce is out. Being one of the toughest players in the league Utah anticipates him paying quite well defensively with the presence of KG and bearing witness this past season to how important defense is for winning a title.

SIXTH MAN - Jamal Crawford

14.2       1.7        3.2        0.2        0.8      30.2

After what some would consider a down year for the 2009-2010 6th man of the year, Utah is looking for Crawford to once again be the best bench player in the league. Crawford is a long, slender shot-creator with good handle, and can shoot over most guards. He is also not afraid of the big moment as he loves taking the final shot.

Crawford gets fouled in the course of his natural jump shot more than any player in the league. At 6-6 he can shoot over most guards and he sticks his elbow way out in front of him on his J, so shorter players reaching to challenge the shot invariably hit his arm. That's why he notched an above-average free throw rate for his position despite taking less than a quarter of his attempts in the basket area.

THE REST OF THE BENCH

Brendan Haywood

Haywood simply did not get enough playing time this past season to truly show his value. While he will be playing the same role this season for the Jazz - Tough minded backup Center and enforcer - his playing time will significantly increase from the 18.5 mpg he played last season. It will be like the season before this last one where he averaged 30+ mpg and nearly averaged a double double (9.8 ppg and 10.4 rpg).

Quick, which players were the most likely to get basket-and-ones last season? You might guess the first-place finisher, Orlando's Dwight Howard, who had 8.3 percent of his shots end with a bucket and a trip to the line. But who's next? Would you believe … Brendan Haywood??? Haywood had 6.9 percent of his deliveries become basket-and-ones, mostly because he rarely shot from more than two feet from the basket. That stat offers a good example of Haywood's understated effectiveness. He was sixth among centers in offensive rebound rate, 10th in blocks per minute and 18th in TS%. He's also a top-notch post defender and pretty good on the help side.

Thabo Sefolosha

Sefolosha will not be asked to score or create. He will asked to rebound and most of all defend the best perimeter players in the league. Something  he has no problem doing. In 2009-2010 Sefolosha was named to the All-NBA Defensive Second Team.

Strengths:
Great hands, Wingspan; Strong on-the-ball defender; Rebounding for his position; Attacks the basket; Gets into passing lanes well and creates turnovers; Great athleticism; Great hands;

Weaknesses:
Flat perimeter shot; Inconsistent from outside fifteen feet; Ball handling; Slow release from three point line;

Jason Maxiell

Maxiell will be the fourth big. He will provide defense, toughness, and rebounding. He has the ability to hit the 10-15 foot jumper and has outstanding leaping ability for a guy his size allowing him to play above the rim. At 6'7" he is a little undersized but he has very long arms enabling him to make spectacular shot blocks and dunks.

Chris Duhon

A very solid option as a third string point guard. Duhon is a pass first point guard. He is a good defender who takes few gambles. While Duhon is limited as a shot-creator and has trouble finishing at basket; he is a very low-mistake offensive player that commits very few turnovers.

Ryan Hollins

The fifth big and kind of a project. Hollins needs to put on weight and muscle but he is a very good athlete for his size. He runs the floor well and is very long. Presently Hollins has limited offensive skills and poor feel for the game, but again he is an athletic, slender 7-footer who can defend the perimeter, run the floor and finish. On the Jazz he will have the best possible mentor he could have in Kevin Garnett.

Jason Kapono

Kapono has one job and one job only. Spread the floor and knock down open shots when in the game. Kapono might be the least athletic player in league. He can't rebound or defend that well, but he is an amazing long-range shooter with a quick release that can hit off dribble to right especially well.

DRAFTING PHILOSOPHY

I play to win. Simple. With the 15th pick in the draft I knew I had my work cut out for me to build a contender, but I was confident I could make the right moves to do so. I think I have done alright considering I am a rookie in the CB LEAUGE.

TOUGHEST DECISION

My toughest decision was trading Pau Gasol for Kevin Garnett. On an individual level Gasol has surpassed KG in my eyes overall. However this is a team game and I felt KG brought more to the table for the Utah Jazz to be successful then Pau Gasol did. His leadership and Defensive ability are unquestionably superior and getting Thabo Sefolosha, as a good one-on-one wing defender, made the move overall a good one in my opinion.

Worst Move

Drafting Chris Kaman in the third round. Center were going like crazy and I thought the former All-Star had some value. Sadly Kaman's career injury woes were too consistent making his case rather volatile. I didn't anticipate the amount of arguing that would be needed to justify him as a starting center for a championship caliber team.

Best Move

Three way tie:

1) Trading up for Paul Perce.
     Being able to add Pierce as part of a dynamic duo was a no brainer in my mind. His    
     efficency, leadership, and toughness are still underrated nationally in my opinion.

2) Trading Chris Kaman
     Being able to pick up picks for a guy who would be a headache to argue for helped me
     immensely in acquiring assets to help build my team.

3) Turning Sam Dalembert into Demarcus Cousins who was turned into Al Jefferson
     I never thought I could make Dalembert become Big Al. While I like Dalmebert, he just  
    doesn't bring to the table what Jefferson does. Especially now that I have KG. In KG I have
    one of the best high post players alive to pair with arguably the best low post offensive
    player in Jefferson.

My Outlook For the Coming Season

I intend to limit the minutes of my veterans and utilize my depth to do that. My minutes breakdown is below:

PG) Davis 31 min, Crawford 11 min, Duhon 6 min
SG) Butler 21 min, Crawford 18 min, Thabo 9 min
SF) Pierce 31 min, Butler 8 min, Thabo 9 min
PF) Garnett 30 min, Jefferson 13 min, Maxiell 5 min
C) Jefferson 21 min, Haywood 27 min

Hollins and Kapono will not see minutes unless there are injuries and guys miss games. Crawford will always come off the bench. If Baron is to miss a game then Duhon will start and him and Crawford's minutes will increase as Larry Brown sees fit. If Kg misses games then Jefferson will start at the PF and Haywood at the C. Maxiell's minutes would increase and Hollins would see some minutes. If Pierce or Caron are to miss a game then Thabo starts at that position and Kapono would see some minutes.

I fully expect to contend and make a deep run into the playoffs. I think I match up well with every team out there. I think my experience and veteran leadership, as well as my versatility gives me the advantage in a 7 game series against the more youthful teams.

There will no moment that is too big for my team. No amount of pressure will be too great. Utah has a coach and players who have seen it all, and will be ready for any challenge that comes their way!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:25:08 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: 2011 CB Draft Northwest Division Press Conference (still locked)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Portland Trailblazers
GM: IndeedProced, Coach: Alvin Gentry

(Click on all tables for larger image)
Basic Player Draft Info
Drafting Strategy
Pick 1: I had quite the dilemma at 1(10). A top 10 pick is fine and all, and I'm not complaining, but in my order of preference it was: CP3, Wade, Kobe, Deron Williams, then failing that, I was going to make a last minute decision between Amar'e and Blake Griffin.

Well, it failed, and I went Amar'e. He'd been the leading scorer on a conference finals team. He'd pretty much singlehandedly led a team without much talent around him to the playoffs, and I've maintained since Amar'e got a consistent mid-range shot and showed he was more than the 'man-child' he was called before the injury that Amar'e was the best scoring frontcourt player in basketball.

Pick 2: Amar'e Stoudemire might be the best scoring frontcourt player in basketball, but he's got his problems. He's historically not a great rebounder. He's historically a pretty inconsistent defender.

So, I went on ahead and addressed that with the second best center in basketball. In fact, it cost me a 4th rounder, but I wouldn't take it back if I could (my trading partner Gainesville, has said his biggest regret is trading back).

Bogut isn't the pure physical force that Dwight Howard is, and Dwight is still without a doubt the best pivot man playing since Shaq, but don't kid yourself, Bogut has game. He's one of the best passing centers in basketball. He's one of the better rebounding centers, while not creative, he's a consistent scorer who plays within his means as long as he isn't leaned upon too much in that role. And, although he's huge, white, and foreign, he's one of the more athletic 7ft 260+ guys out there.  

But that is not where his true talent lies. He doesn't possess Howard's raw physical skils, but for my money he's a more skilled and smarter defender. He's a good pick and roll defender, a great man-on defender, and a great team defender. If you were going to ask for any center to anchor your defense, Bogut would be next in line right after Dwight Howard.

Pick 3: This was what some might argue is my first reach, but I'd argue that it was a steal. I knew who I wanted running the point. I knew I didn't want to built around one not named CP3 or Deron Williams, so I knew that I'd have to wait until the 3rd round minimum to pick one.

And I knew I wanted Kyle Lowry. I watched a LOT of Rockets basketball last season, even more after the trade deadline. Kyle Lowry was the best, if not top-3 two-way point guards in basketball. I'll explain more about him later, so read that first before your head explodes. The first pop-word is Gumption.

Pick 4: This was my first 'ballsy' move. I traded Riah two 5th round picks for the 4(1), deciding that I needed to grab the best talent out there and roll the dice. Last year this draft came down to super-duper stars, and since I didn't have LeBron or Dwight Howard, I needed talent. There were lots of adaquate role players available. Wilson Chandler was a guy that StartOrien was absolutely begging me to take, because his skillset  (defense, okay 3pt shooting, good slasher) was almost ideal.

But, I didn't go with 'safe' here. I swung for the fences. The All-Stars (at least the guys probable to make it in the next few years) were all gone. There was some good proven talent left at the SG and PG positions, but nobody in my mind came close to Derrick Williams. His scoring efficiency and versatility were unparalleled in college last year, and while he's not going to equal those numbers on the pro level, especially not initially, he's all-star talent in the waiting. We're building a team here, and Derrick Williams was what was best for the team.

Pick 5:
With my 5th pick I went all defense, and made another trade up for Tony Allen (in the 6th round). He was the best fit for me at the time, especially when I was planning on starting Derrick Williams at the 3. After this though was where it got interesting.

The rest of the picks, and the rest of my team: I could've stopped there, and played it safe. The draft is deep, and there was plenty of talent left on the board. But, I didn't. I drafted Corey Maggette, and while Maggette is a talented player, I haven't seen him bring more to a team than he took away since the Clippers were in the playoffs. That goes double for Milwaukee last year. I traded Maggette for Jared Dudley. Then, I packaged Dudley/Tony Allen for my 5th cornerpiece, James Harden, and traded up in the draft to get a 3pt shooting, hard defending, glue guy in Carlos Delfino.

That turned the tide for me and turned me into 'kinda contender' and a likely 4th or 5th seed into a true contender, and in my mind the most talented team in the league. The second popword is buzinga. I followed up the Delfino pick with other capable role players. Ramon Sessions, Fransisco Garcia, Anthony Tolliver, Tiago Splitter, Jonas Jerebko, Josh Childress. I traded some for better fits and ended up with the masterpiece you see below:

The Rotation
Player (minutes at listed position)
Point Guard: Kyle Lowry (37), Ramon Sessions (11)
Shooting Guard: James Harden (32), Anthony Morrow (16)
Small Forward: Carlos Delfino (25), Derrick Wiliams (13), Jonas Jerebko (10)
Power Forward: Amar'e Stoudemire (24), Derrick Williams (15), Jonas Jerebko (9)
Center: Andrew Bogut (32), Amar'e Stoudemire (10), Robin Lopez (6)

Deep Bench: Patty Mills, Anthony Tolliver, Gerald Hendersen

Reasoning: I limited Amar'e and Bogut's minutes because both guys are injury risks. One of the biggest contributors to injury is exhaustion. D'Antoni ran Amar'e into the ground last year, and that resulted in Amar'e getting injured against the Celtics in the playoffs (after TORCHING the Celtics), and likely knocking out the Knicks in 4 games flat.

Both guys could probably survive 3 minutes or so a game a piece, but those 3 minutes are big ones. They were the difference for KG that allowed him to continue to play at a high level last season. They were part of the reason Glen Davis was asked to defend centers when KG was in the game, and why Glen Davis likely played 4-5 minutes more than he should've per game. They're an important difference.

I limited Harden to 32 because frankly he's never played as many minutes as I'm going to ask him to, and its going to take some time to acclimate to that.

I'm limiting Delfino because I'm playing Jerebko. I'm playing Jerebko now because I am a big believer in him now. But, that's not the whole reason. I'm also playing him because if Amar'e or Bogut go down for significant time, he'll be the first guy to see a big minutes burst, along with Anthony Tolliver and Robin Lopez. Jerebko is used to big minutes, and I can't throw him in cold, but at 6'10 and a tenacious defender, he's a valuable asset, and on top of that, if Derrick Williams doesn't produce like I expect him to, Jerebko can sop up those minutes. I gotta keep him loose

**Note on Projected Stats**
-I know that the scoring stats are off. I took each player's minutes played from 2011 (the exceptions being Derrick Williams, Andrew Bogut, Robin Lopez, Kyle Lowry and Jonas Jerebko. The third pop?word is 'Neal Peart'. The reasons being injury which is projected to be healed, difference in depth chart, or the fact that he was in college in 2011), then divided each numerical stat by minutes played, then multiplied that by the minutes I have them playing. The biggest increase was James Harden from 24 to 32. No NBA team has averaged over 115 points since the early 90's, and this team won't be the first. PPG for these guys will drop from where I projected, but I think FG%'s for some of them will go up, and as will overall team efficiency. Lowry and Bogut are two guys that'll probably drop a little.

Projected Scoring Stats

Projected Rebounding/Assists/TO's/PF/Defense

Positional breakdown:

Point Guard:
Kyle Lowry (37 minutes) runs the show. After the All-Star break, when the Rockets stopped show-casing Aaron Brooks and let Lowry run the show, Lowry averaged 37.5 minutes per game, 17.5 points, 7.6 assists, 44.7% FG and 41% 3pt%. Before the trade deadline, the Rockets were 29-31. After, they went on to go 13-7, and nearly sqweak into the playoffs. Lowry has been waiting his entire life for a legitimate starting and featured role at the PG position in the NBA, and while he only got it because Aaron Brooks was injured, he kept it because he deserved it. Ramon Sessions will perform in the role of understudy and backup. While I hate it that I'm just one of a litany of GM's who have willfully limited Sessions' minutes, the fact of the matter is that Lowry is just a lot better. Sessions should be a starter in the NBA, but he isn't going to steal any minutes from Kyle Lowry. In the minutes he does have, he'll bring his decent defense, superb slashing skills, and efficient ball handling skills.    

Shooting Guard:
James Harden proved last season and especially in the playoffs that he's more than ready to assume a prominent role in the offense. He's a deadly pick and roll partner for Amar'e Stoudemire, and a versatile offense threat in his own right. While his defense doesn't compare to his backup in OKC (Thabo), he's not below average there, and in fact his defensive rating was better than alleged defensive stalwarts Arron Affalo, Chauncey Billups, and Kirk Hinrich. On top of that, he weathered his Sophomore Slump and persevered! Harden should only improve on his game from last season. The fourth p0p-w0rd is Lowry. Anthony Morrow, while not the well-rounded player Harden is, was a 42% shooter from distance last season, and that was on what most people would agree is too many attempts. He is the guy John Hollinger once referenced as 'if not the best shooter in basketball, on the short list.'  

Small Forward: This is where some opinions start to differ on my amazing team. Carlos Delfino is the starter. Delfino's defense at the 3 takes strain away from Bogut, and allows him to help on Amare's man if necessary, and to play more focused team defense. Delfino is also a proven 3pt threat who can stretch the floor and does not demand touches. The fifth p%p w%rd is Gigandor. The majority of the rest of the minutes are sopped up by Derrick Williams, who at his size and range will present a mismatch to any SF in the league on the offensive end. Jerebko will fill in here too as a hustle-man, primarily next to Derrick Williams when he plays the 4, in which Jerebko takes on the more dangerous of the forwards.

Power Forward:
Amar'e plays the majority of the minutes here, due in fact to him being the best scoring power forward in the NBA. However, Derrick Williams logs a solid 15 minutes here, because his speed and shooting ability will be a considerable change of pace, especially playing next to Amar'e at the center (which I will get to). Jerebko sops up some minutes here as well, lending some toughness to the ends of quarters.

Center:
Bogut plays all 32 of his minutes here, because he's the second best center in basketball (if I haven't made that evident). But, behind him is the 2nd team All-NBA center, Amar'e Stoudemire. Both guys bring different tool sets to the table, and both will end up playing varied positions there depending on their efficacy. Bogut brings stability, defense, and predictable efficiency. Amar'e brings explosiveness, fast-tempo, and offensive mismatches against virtually every starting and backup center in the league. Robin Lopez plays garbage time to stay loose, and regain his confidence.

Question You're Eager To Ask, #1:
Andrew Bogut hasn't played 82 games in a season since his rookie year, 6 years ago. What will you do if he suffers an injury that keeps him out for substantial minutes?

Answer: Bogut's primary ailment last year was his elbow which suffered a gruesome injury in 09/10. By the time this off-season ends, he should be completely healed. That's by his own admission. That matters, because Bogut has never minced words regarding his injury. He's never pretended he was healthy when he wasn't, and for that, I take him at his word.

However, Bogut has not played a full healthy season since his rookie year (6 years ago), and because of that, preparations must be made. That is the fundamental reason I traded the higher-ceiling, more versatile Tiago Splitter for Robin Lopez. Lopez has demonstrated the ability to be a starting caliber center in the NBA, and while he was limited by injury last season, I believe him able to regain that level of ability again.

If Bogut goes down for 15 games or so, the frontcourt rotation becomes:

PF: Amar'e Stoudemire (20), Derrick Williams (15), Jonas Jerebko (10), Anthony Tolliver (8)
C: Robin Lopez (18), Amare Stoudemire (15), Anthony Tolliver (15)

I feel like that rotation is still more dangerous than most in this substantially deeper league, and offers a very versatile mix of defense, offense, and toughness. If I'm a 65 win team when Bogut plays an entire season (which I think I am), I'm a 60 win team if he plays 70.

Question You're Eager To Ask, #2: What if Bogut's hypothetical injury is season ending?

Answer: Well, what happens if your second best overall player goes down with a season-ending injury? Basically, you're a little screwed. Not even a little, you're weakened, much more than planned when you drafted your team.

But, crap happens. I don't think it is a likelihood, I don't think it it will happen. But, if it did, consider this: Robin Lopez started next to Amar'e Stoudemire in his last year in Phoenix, and Robin Lopez helped Amar'e and Steve Nash guide those Suns to a 66% win record, and was believed to be the missing piece to supplanting the Lakers in the conference Finals. It didn't turn out, but it did turn into a 6 game series. Are we as good without Bogut? Heck no. But are we still better than most? Yes.

Question You're Eager To Ask, #3: What happens if Amar'e suffers a significant injury?

Answer: This one is a little trickier than Bogut's. Without Amar'e, this team is substantially worse. The sixth P*p werd is 'Ron Paul'. Amar'e's a lot more versatile than Bogut, and because of that my team suffers greatly. First, let me say, I've taken precautions. In the seasons where Amar'e has played 35 minutes per game or less, he averages less than 2 games lost per regular season. (I'm discounting the year he struggled to make it back from knee surgery and only played 16 games to poor effect)

I'm also not asking Amare to play the majority of his minutes at the center position. That will decrease wear and tear, and should decrease any chance of injury.

But lets bear out your little projection. If Amar'e is injured, I'd use the following rotation:

PF: Tolliver (20), Williams (15), Jerebko (13)
C: Bogut (35), Lopez (13), Tolliver (whatever is left if foul trouble happens)

Why Tolliver? Because he has 3pt range, is a capable defender, and has shown the distinct ability to seamlessly step into the starting role. Also, my bringing along of Williams is a distinct plan; I don't want anything but predictability for Williams, because frankly I think the best way to treat a rookie is to keep them as regular as possible. Too much time can be as bad as too little time or a short leash for development, and Williams isn't ready for 32 minutes a game yet, or a starting role.

Question You're Eager To Ask, #4: What if both Bogut and Stoudemire are down for extended time at the same time?

Answer:
Now you're just being a tool, and that's against the rules. What happens if your whole team all finds out they have malaria at the same time from a charity team event in Haiti? Yeah...you like that? Eat it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:38:27 AM by IndeedProceed »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Starters
PositionNameHeightPPGFG%3FG%FT%APGRPGSPGBPGTO
PGJose Calderon6’39.844%37%85%8.92.91.20.12.2
SGJoe Johnson6’718.244%30%80%4.74.0.70.12.0
SFDorell Wright6’916.442%38%79%3.05.31.50.81.6
PFChris Bosh6’1118.750%24%82%1.98.30.80.61.8
CNene 6’1114.562%20%71%2.07.61.20.91.8
Coach: Flip Saunders
Reserves

PGGeorge Hill6’211.645%38%86%2.52.50.90.31.2
PF/CEd Davis6’107.758%0%56%0.67.10.61.00.7
G/FLuc Richard Mbah a Moute 6’86.746%0%71%0.95.30.90.41.0
SGBrandon Rush 6’69.142%42%76%0.93.20.60.51.0
PF/CJoel Przybilla 7'11.862%0%57%0.44.40.00.20.7
PGNate Robinson 5’96.840%33%83%1.91.50.50.11.2

Alternates

SFShawne Williams 6’97.143%40%84%0.73.70.60.80.7
SFMarreese Speights 6’105.450%25%75%0.53.30.10.30.6

Regular Season Minute Breakdown

PGJose Calderon (30)George Hill (12)Nate Robinson (6)
SGJoe Johnson (28)George Hill (10)Brandon Rush (10)
SFDorell Wright (26)Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (16)Joe Johnson (6)
PFChris Bosh (34)Ed Davis (14)
CNene (30)Ed Davis (12)Joel Przybilla (6)

Drafting Philosophy
I had the last pick in the first round, which this year I was actually hoping for.  With the sandwich picks and 3.1 I knew I could get a solid core if I played it fairly safe (which I normally do).

The way I draft is to take players that compliment each other, and in the end assemble a likable cast of players that can play as a unit and have a fairly balanced team in regards to skill set, and this year I think I did that very well.

With my first two picks I wasn't really targeting anyone specific because most of the time certain players fall for reasons unknown before the draft begins.  But I was hoping to get a talented big, and a talented wing to start my 1-2punch.  I was able to accomplish that when Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh fell (I did think these solid consistent players would be undervalued). This really set the tone for what type of team I was going to have. Last year I went with a star player (Durant) and tried to surround him with quality chemistry role players, but I didn't provide enough offense around him. This year was going to be a very balanced offensive attack.

Then in the third round I had the luck of taking which good player would fall to me.  I was looking at with the 3.1 pick Luol Deng and Nene.  Nene's highly skilled offensive game and super-efficient scoring would be an awesome compliment to the midrange game that JJ and Bosh posses.  Nene would have tons of room to operate and make his high percentage shots.

In the 4th round I took George Hill who at the time was my starting PG, but I thought more of a 6th man.  I like his ability to guard both the 1 and the 2 effectively, and his ability to drive to the hoop and hit 3's.

The 5th round I wanted a glue wing, since I usually draft PG's as the last position in my strategies.  I wanted some smart veteran leadership in Grant Hill.  And with the first coaches pick this is where I started thinking about the triangle and Phil Jackson.  Unfortunately I changed from that idea as the draft went one to utilize the personnel and offense of this team. I then traded Grant Hill for Dorell Wright. Who can drive, hit midrange shots and shoot 3 pointers at a good percentage.

The rest of the draft was as follow
6.24: Jose Calderon
7.1: Ed Davis
8.28: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
9.1: Brandon Rush
11.1: Marreese Speights
12.24: Joel Przybilla
13.1: Shawne Williams
FA: Nate Robinson

Best Move
Being patient in the first 3 rounds and taking the best players that fell to me.  Also sticking with me JJ, Bosh and Nene core.  I knew a lot of people were interested in Nene, and I got countless offers for him that provided great great value.  But I liked the fit of him on my team to much to gamble on making a trade and not liking the fit as much even if my team could be a little deeper (while I love my bench I'm don't second guess this strategy at all).

Worst Move
While I don't think it is a bad deal really, the only trade I made this whole time was Grant Hill and 10.24 for Dorell Wright.  I think Grant fit this team well, but I liked the deep shooting that Dorell provided.  I don't think it is a bad move, but being the only one I made I do think about it.

Game plan:
Flip Saunders is an offensive mastermind.  When coupled with capable players he always has one of the best and efficient offenses in the league.  We will have a strong offense as Flip’s gameplan utilizes heavy ball movement and mid range jump shots, which this team excels at.  With Calderon running the show he should excel, he has a very good A/TO ration (~5to1) and is OK with not being primary offensive option (even though he shoots good %’s), while he is a good spot up 3pt shooter.

Wings: We have our primary option in Joe Johnson who at 6’7 is a large SG who can give a lot of players problems.  He is a very versatile player, who can take on some ball handling responsibilities when Calderon is out, and he has the size at 6’8 to play SF as well.  He is a very capable defender who can guard many types of players.  Dorell Wright is a long athletic wing who is an underrated shooter;  he made 2.4 3-pointers a game last season while shooting 38%.  He excels in the fast break, and can be a pest in the passing lanes. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is this teams defensive stopper, he can guard 3 positions if needed, but will most likely be put on the teams best wing when he is in the game, if needed his minutes will see a boost.  Brandon Rush is also a capable defender (not as good a Mbah a Moute) but he also one of the more accurate 3-point shooters in the league.

The big men rotation consists of mostly Chris Bosh, Nene, and Ed Davis.  I think Bosh and Nene compliment each other very well. Bosh can hit his mid range shot leaving room for Nene to work around the basket where no one can deny his efficiency as he is always at the top of FG%.  Ed Davis is an up and coming big man, who showed real promise in the second half of the year in Toronto.  Joel Przybilla while he had an injury last year, won't be asked for much beside coming in if others are in foul trouble and to be a big body by the basket to give some hard fouls and grab rebounds.

Player Roles
Joe Johnson: He is our primary option and will be the primary wing defender when in the game with Dorell Wright, when in the Rush or Mbah a Moute they will take over primary wing defense.

Chris Bosh: He is our second option, he can pick and roll with JJ and Calderon.  And will be utilized for his nice mid range jump shot to open up things in the paint.

Nene:  Will benefit from the spacing from our shooters and will have lots of opportunities to score in the post.  He will have space and if double teams start to meander over he will have players open who can hit their open shots.

Jose Calderon:  He is the highly efficient distributor, low turnover rate, and a very smart player.  He will be highly utilized under Flip Saunders philosophy and is a good shooter and will be called to make his open 3's.

George Hill:  The 6th man, he is a fast player who can defend the 1 and 2.  When he enters for Calderon he will share ball-handling duties with JJ.  If he enters for Dorell Wright, JJ will shift to the 3 and Hill will play the 2.

Ed Davis: First big off the bench.  He can block shots and is a good rebounder.  He shot 58% last year and has an improving jump shot.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute: Defensive stopper.  He can guard 3 positions and when in the game will guard the opposing teams best wing.

Brandon Rush:  Bench defense and 3 point shooting.  Good in transition.

Joel Przybilla: Junkyard Dog.  Will come in the game to provide some hard fouls and grab rebounds.

Nate Robinson:  High energy guy.  If bench is slumping Nate will come in to liven things up and provide some instant offense.  When Nate is on, he is one heck of an offense player.

Marreese Speights:  Will only be used if others are in foul trouble, but shoots jump shots at a high percentage.

Shawne Williams:  Very accurate 3-point shooter, an adequate defender.  Will only be used if bench needs more shooting.

Common Lineups
Calderon/JJ/Wright/Bosh/Nene
Hill/JJ/Wright/Bosh/Nene
Calderon/Hill/JJ/Bosh/Nene
Hill/JJ/Mbah a Moute/Davis/Bosh
Calderon/Hill/Mbah a Moute/Davis/Nene
Calderon/Rush/Wright/Davis/Nene

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:49:39 AM by Kwhit10 »

Re: 2011 CB Draft Northwest Division Press Conference
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Ugh. (and that's a Master P Ugh, not a exhausted Ugh)

2500+words.

I hid 6 little code words in there. If you list them in order, and ask me a question/respond to my team in some kind of intelligent way, you get 30 TP's.

Also if you print it out and hold it 20 inches from your face (all 5 pages at once), you see a sailboat. If you tell me what the captain is doing, you get 100 TP's.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker

2500+words.

I hid 6 little code words in there. If you list them in order, and ask me a question/respond to my team in some kind of intelligent way, you get 30 TP's.

Gumption, Buzinga, Neal Peart, Lowry, Gigandor, Ron Paul.

TP IP, nice write up.  You put a lot of thought.

How do you see your teams defense ranking in this 24 team league?  While it's safe to say the PPG per player will probably be decreased as to better players having roles reduced in a contracted league, what is your reasoning as to why their FG% would be going up?

And what about Alvin Gentry's style do you think helps this team, most specifically on the defensive side of the ball.  I think he's a good fit offensively, but this mold of coaching (fast paced offense) hasn't really gotten over the hump in terms of being the top team (D'Antoni, Gentry, also Don Nelson type teams).  What are your thoughts on that?

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Words, words, words, wall of text, and more words.  I'm voting for Utah, because they gave us pretty pictures.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

2500+words.

Gumption, Buzinga, Neal Peart, Lowry, Gigandor, Ron Paul.

TP IP, nice write up.  You put a lot of thought.

How do you see your teams defense ranking in this 24 team league?  While it's safe to say the PPG per player will probably be decreased as to better players having roles reduced in a contracted league, what is your reasoning as to why their FG% would be going up?

Well I can't speak for everyone, but when I projected my players' FG% I didn't project up. My point was that my PPG was way too high, and there was not a feasible way it was practical to reach given the # of FGA's in a current NBA game. However, all of my guys sans maybe James Harden are going to be in lineups with more talent now, so maybe the decrease in FGA's will be offset somewhat by a better efficiency.

And what about Alvin Gentry's style do you think helps this team, most specifically on the defensive side of the ball.  I think he's a good fit offensively, but this mold of coaching (fast paced offense) hasn't really gotten over the hump in terms of being the top team (D'Antoni, Gentry, also Don Nelson type teams).  What are your thoughts on that?

Well, first off, Alvin Gentry did get his Phoenix Suns to the Conference Finals 2 yrs ago.

But, in a larger sense, Alvin Gentry doesn't make his roster, and from what I've read, he doesn't control many of the decisions involving it. He's given a team,and he coaches it to the best of his ability. Last year was a low-point for him, but he's one of the most respected coaches in the league, his Phoenix teams are typically in the middle of the pack defensively which is a wonder considering the supporting cast that has been there recently, and I think he's the man for the job. The players love him.

TP (well 30 of them)

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
2011 CNBA OKC Thunder!

Kobe Bryant and Rajon Rondo, 2 nba superstars and all defensive 1st teamers have joined forces and bring their nba chmpionship rings together in OKC and form the best backcourt in the CNBA.

The Starters:

SG. Kobe Bryant 25.3 ppg, 4.7 apg, 5.1 rpg, 1.3spg

PG. Rajon Rondo 10.6 ppg 11apg,4.4 rpg, 2.2 spg

SF. Ron Artest 8.5 ppg, 1.5 spg, 2.1 apg, 3.3 rpg

PF. Tyrus Thomas 10.2ppg, 5.5rpg,1.6bpg

C. Sammy Dalembert 8.1 ppg, 8.3rpg, 1.2bpg

BENCH

6th man: Antawn Jamison 18ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.7 apg

PG/sg MO WIlliams 14ppg, 6.6 apg

c Darko Milicic 8.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg

sg Shannon Brown 8.7 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 1.2 apg

sf DeShawn Stevenson 5.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.1 apg

pf josh mcroberts 7.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.1 apg

sf/sg quentin richardson 4.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg

C. Ian Mahinmni 3.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg

Head Coach: Byron Scott

OKC rotation

rondo(34) williams(14)
bryant(32) brown(10) williams(6)
artest (30) stevenson(18)richardson(0)
thomas (24) jamison(24) mcroberts(0)
dalembert(30) milicic(18) mahinmi(0)

Statement

Offense:
i believe rondo and kobe will work well together. rondo will be bringing the ball up the court and starting the offense. Kobe will be getting a lot of shots in the offense as thomas and dalembert are not offensive minded. rondo will be highly effect with his passing skills and should have a lot of assists. he can work well with dalembert and thomas in pick and rolls and pick and pops.  fast breaks for alley oops to thomas should be nice. if kobe is double-team it will create either an open look for artest or rondo will just drive and score.

defense:

this is a really great defensive starting lineup. kobe rondo and artest are very good defenders, they some of the greats in the nba at defense.  thomas and dalembert are also very solid defensively and like to block shots...i don't think you will find a better defensive starting 5 in the CNBA.

bench:

the OKC bench is anchored by offensive firepower. mo williams(14 ppg) and antawn jamison(18ppg)two former all stars, will carry the bench.  also shannon brown and deshawn stevenson bring great finals experience to the bench. it is important to have a bench you can count on in the playoffs...Darko hasn't been the bust we thought he was going to be when he was drafted 2nd overall and has developed into a decent nba center.

Team Strengths:
kobe(top nba player, 5 rings
defense(defense wins championships)
3 point shooting
leaders(kobe rondo)
playoff experience
finals experience
great bench

closing thought:

this OKC team should be a dangerous team in the CNBA.  a team with kobe and rondo should make some noise through the playoffs. OKC is well balanced with offense and defense and finals experience and a deep bench..there is no reason why they can't go deep into the CNBA playoffs.

Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
2011 CNBA OKC Thunder!
Offense:
i believe rondo and kobe will work well together. rondo will be bringing the ball up the court and starting the offense. Kobe will be getting a lot of shots in the offense as thomas and dalembert are not offensive minded. rondo will be highly effect with his passing skills and should have a lot of assists. he can work well with dalembert and thomas in pick and rolls and pick and pops.  fast breaks for alley oops to thomas should be nice. if kobe is double-team it will create either an open look for artest or rondo will just drive and score.

You mentioned that Kobe will be getting a lot of shots.  I think it's well known Kobe teams do much worse when he is taking all the shots, as others just stand around and become complacent.  Also if Kobe were to be more team orientated are you worried the rest of your lineup lacks the shooting to support Kobe in this way?

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Question for the NUGS

KWit, first off, you did a tremendous job drafting for value at such a low position - muuuuch better than i did.

My question is: What option is Nene in your offense? it appears that he will again be somewhat of an afterthought with JJ and Bosh needing their touches and Wright coming from a chuck-it system in GS.  How much of a priority is it to feed Nene?  Do you trust Calderon to figure out the distribution himself or will JJ be handling the ball and making the call?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
2011 CNBA OKC Thunder!
Offense:
i believe rondo and kobe will work well together. rondo will be bringing the ball up the court and starting the offense. Kobe will be getting a lot of shots in the offense as thomas and dalembert are not offensive minded. rondo will be highly effect with his passing skills and should have a lot of assists. he can work well with dalembert and thomas in pick and rolls and pick and pops.  fast breaks for alley oops to thomas should be nice. if kobe is double-team it will create either an open look for artest or rondo will just drive and score.

You mentioned that Kobe will be getting a lot of shots.  I think it's well known Kobe teams do much worse when he is taking all the shots, as others just stand around and become complacent.  Also if Kobe were to be more team orientated are you worried the rest of your lineup lacks the shooting to support Kobe in this way?

with the starters kobe will get his shots. dalembert thomas can make jumpers and rondo can drive to score and artest is a 3 point threat spreads the floor.

also kobe will be out there with mo will stevenson jamison which is a great shooting lineup when rondo is on the bench
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
Question for the NUGS

KWit, first off, you did a tremendous job drafting for value at such a low position - muuuuch better than i did.

My question is: What option is Nene in your offense? it appears that he will again be somewhat of an afterthought with JJ and Bosh needing their touches and Wright coming from a chuck-it system in GS.  How much of a priority is it to feed Nene?  Do you trust Calderon to figure out the distribution himself or will JJ be handling the ball and making the call?

Nene, is technically the third option, but I feel he will be getting a lot of opportunities due to the mid range game of JJ and Bosh.  It is important to take advantage of these situations with Nene, especially since he shoots at such a high percentage.

Wright had a usage of 19.3% last year, with 5 players on the court that is what it should be. Joe Johnson had a usage rate of 26%, Bosh 23.5%, Nene 18.8%, Calderon 16.8%. That's a total of 104.4% so I think seeing a <1% drop in usage among the five would not effect the play they're accustomed too.
I trust Calderon to take care of the main ball distribution, he is a consistently a low turnover-high assist PG.  When out JJ will probably be a main ball handler.

If the Dorell Wright thing becomes a problem, I could see George Hill coming into the game for Wright at first with JJ sliding to the 3, then later on Wright subbing in for JJ.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
@Kwit . ...
Echo the sentiments on a great job.

My question is;

With your big men being average help defenders collectively, and your perimeter players not known for their defensive ability, would it make more sense to play a defensive minded 3 like mbah a moute,  as opposed to Wright?

I don't think offense will be your problem with your starters, so perhaps sacrificing a part of that would benefit your perimeter defense, which limits foul trouble on your bigs also.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
QUESTIONS FOR OKC

Rondo, i liked your team a lot more with mello.  It would of been a tough adjustment for kobe, but superstars figure it out.

My questions are: Seems like the best fit for Kobe is when he plays with your reserves.  Will this cause dissention amongst the starters/backups? Although i don't much care for Jamison, he is a better player than Ty Thomas - shouldn't he be out there for Kobe?

The defense will certainly be there, but how will Kobe react to the lack of offense with him on the floor? Rondo/Thomas/Dalembert have never been considered "knock-down" shooters - how do you keep Kobe from the "Kobe-face" if their shots don't fall??

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes