Author Topic: CB Draft 2011 Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 33238 times)

CB Draft 2011 Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:25:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Atlantic Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Boston - KCatTheStripe - Pending

Philadelphia - MGent - Pending

New York Knicks - Gainesville Celtic - Pending

New Jersey Nets - riah32 - Pending

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: CB Draft 2011 Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Taking a cue from Sacramento, I may not be around the computer as much tomorrow, a quick presser that will hopefully be updated. If I do, I'll post in the thread.

C: Greg Monroe (38) Al Horford (7) Aaron Gray (3)
PF:Al Horford(33) Darrel Arthur (15)http://
SF: Hedo Turkoglu (35) James Jones (13)
SG:Eric Gordon (37) Rodney Stuckey (11)
PG: Jrue Holliday (30)Rodney Stuckey (10) Jameer Nelson (8 )

Donatus Montejunas, CJ Watson,  Jan Vesely

Strategy: Pick and roll your brains out. With three above average ballhandlers in Holiday, Gordon and Hedo and two bigs who excel off picks, we're going to make you hurt. Add in our tenacious defense at the guard and frontcourt positions and we'll make your life miserable the whole 48 minutes.

Best Decision : Trading down from 2.4 when i was stuck between Gordon and Granger.

Worst Decision: I know people will want to talk about the trade. And for the record, the only thing I regret about it was giving up Deng. I think Arthur is comprable to Taj and I am not a believer that Duncan still has it. I watched the Memphis series too closely to know that while he could still be a valuable member of a team, he cannot be the focal point of any offense or defensive strategy. He simply doesn't have it anymore.

Which leads me to my worst decision, going with what I thought would get me votes instead of the team i had originally targeted to build, which was building around a frontcourt of Bosh/M.Gasol/Deng. I should have gone with that. And because I didn't I found my self sending out a trade offer just to get rid of Duncan because I didn't feel I could have defended him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:45:25 AM by KCattheStripe »

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
NJ Nets

Coach: Scott Brooks

Pg: Mike Conley    PPG  APG RPG  
                   13.7 6.5 3.0

SG: Rip Hamilton     PPG APG RPG                      
                     14.1 3.1 2.3

Sf: Kevin Durant PPG APG RPG  
                 27.7 2.7 6.8

PF Luis Scola           PPG RPG BLKPG
                        18.3 8.2 0.6

C:Kendrick Perkins PPG RPG BLKPG PER
                   6.0 8.0 0.9

Rest of the squad:
PG Kyrie Irving/ Jordan Farmar
SG: Rudy Fernandez
SF:CJ Miles
PF:Charilie V/ Drew Gooden
C: Joel Anthony/Vuveic

Toughest Decison would have been taken Durant #1 over Lebron. I just dont like Lebron and really wanted to take Durant.

Worse Decison: Not really sure if I have one.

Best decision: traded my 4th rounder for 2 5th rounders

Outlook: I think we have a legitamate chance to contend. I built this team around Durant and have all the pieces around him to make a winner. I also have so trading chips in drew Gooden and Charlie Villanevea. I think this team is built perfectly where there wont be to much complaining about minutes and touches either.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:37:40 AM by riah32 »
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Question for Boston: Jameer Nelson is only two seasons off of an All-Star appearance and he has more playoff experience than Holiday and Stuckey combined. He's wearing Ray-Bans on the bench?

Likewise, no room for 2011 sixth pick Jan Vesely? Considered by many the most-NBA ready of this years European draftees.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:37:44 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
(sorry i haven't done projections or per36 calculations... :'( I'll be in a meeting most of the morning but if you ask questions I will answer during/around lunch. More pics to come too.)

Introducing...... Your New York Knickerbockers!!!!!

Introducing...... Your New York Knickerbockers!!!!!

A terror to opposing teams! Bwaaahaha....!

1a. Roster

PG - Deron Williams / Keyon Dooling
SG - Jodie Meeks / Nick Young / Raja Bell
SF - Luol Deng / Austin Daye / Wesley Johnson
PF - Taj Gibson / DeJuan Blair
C - Tim Duncan / Ronny Turiaf / Jordan Hill

Overseas (a year away) - Jonas Valanciunas

Coaches - Tom Thibodeau, Clifford Ray

1b. Rotation & minutes

PG - Deron Williams (37), Keyon Dooling (11)
SG - Jodie Meeks (22), Nick Young (28)
SF - Luol Deng (37), Austin Daye or Wes Johnson (11)
PF - Taj Gibson (30), DeJuan Blair (24)
C - Tim Duncan (28*), Ronny Turiaf (12)

Situational minutes - Wesley Johnson or Austin Daye, Jordan Hill, Raja Bell

* Duncan’s minutes will go up throughout our 2011-12 playoff run. During the regular season Hill and Johnson will probably play 4-5 min/gm combined.

2. 2010-11 statistics

Pos.
Starting Five
PG
SG
SF
PF
C
6th Man
SG
Bench
PF
C
PG
SF
SG
PF/C
SG
Player

Deron Williams
Jodie Meeks
Luol Deng
Taj Gibson
Tim Duncan

Nick Young

DeJuan Blair
Ronny Turiaf
Keyon Dooling
Austin Daye
Wesley Johnson
Jordan Hill
Raja Bell
Height

6-3
6-4
6-8
6-9
6-11

6-6

6-7
6-10
6-3
6-11
6-7
6-10
6-5

Min/gm

Pts

Reb.

Ast

BLK

STL

3P

3. Roster Breakdown

The NBA’s best point guard
Deron Williams, 6-3, 26 years old
20.1 ppg,   10.3 apg, 4.0 rpg, 1.2 spg, 1.6 3pt in 37.9 mpg (2.9 ast/to ratio, 21.1 PER)

A slam dunk, Deron Williams is the premier PG in the NBA and arguably one of the 10 best players in the NBA. This is his and Duncan’s team. We’ve surrounded him with shooters and rebounding big men with good hands.  In a conference rich in PGs, Deron stands at the top.

The glue guy who shoots 39.7% from downtown
Jodie Meeks, 6-4, 23 years old
10.5 ppg,   2.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.9 spg, 1.9 3pt in 27.9 mpg (.600 TS%, 39.7% from 3pt)

Meeks is a developing SG who started on a playoff team last year. His role is to space the floor for Deron Williams. Some folks will say he's a week link -- but we disagree. We think a starting 5 with 3 stars like Deron, Deng and Duncan needs a couple hard working role guys like Meeks and Gibson to balance it out. There's only one ball after all.

Meekss a talented shooter who sports a blistering .600 true shooting% and shot 40% from downtown last year. Meeks has had to fight for respect in the league but has found a home in the starting lineup alongside 3 all-stars. Meeks plays the game the right way — commiting less than 1 turnover a game last year (in 28 mpg).

Mr. Underrated
Luol Deng, 6-8, 26 years old
17.4 ppg,   5.8 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.6 bpg, 1.4 3pt in 39.1 mpg (.460 FG%, .345 3p%)

Deng is still only 26 years old and has blossomed into one of the most underated all-around games in the NBA. He’ll be asked to do a bit of everything – defend (4th in NBA in Defensive Win Shares last year), score, rebound, pass, and lead. Another efficient basketballer who understands Ubuntu.

The Banger
Taj Gibson, 6-9, 25 years old
7.1 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.3 bpg, 0.5 bpg, 1.4 3pt in 21.8 mpg

Gibson is the long, athletic PF that Duncan will love playing beside. Taj will hit the glass and defend his heart out. A terrific shot blocker and defender, Gibson will be the beneficiary of Deron Williams’ laser passes. Like Meeks, he’s a tough-nosed guy who understands his role and takes care of the ball (0.9 TO in 22 mpg).

The Big Fundamental/The Ring Bearer
Tim Duncan, 6-11, 34 years old
13.4 ppg,   8.9 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.9 bpg, 0.7 spg in 28.4 mpg (.500 FG%, 21.9 PER, 18th in REB%)

Tim Duncan, a 4-time NBA champion, isn’t who he used to be. He won’t reach his career 21/11/3/2 averages. But he is still a winner who will teach this team — along with Coach Thibs — what it takes to win that title for NYC. Duncan is still one of the leagues most efficient big men offensively, a rock defensively, one of the most skilled passing big men and a guy who plays every game to win. Deron Williams is the team’s best player, but this is still Duncan’s team to lead.

The Sixth Man
Nick Young, 6-6, 25 years old
17.4 ppg,   2.7 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.3 bpg, 1.6 3pt in 31.8 mpg (.387 3p%)

Coach Thibs is taking a play out of Red’s playbook and using Young as his 6th man and designated bench scorer. Good thing b/c Young does one thing really well — he scores the ball. We think Nick Young will thrive, playing with a veteran cast accoustomed to playing the right way.

When the Knicks stole him for two 12th round picks there was some hue & cry over his lack of rebounding & assists — a debate echoed over at Bullets Forever (the CelticsBlog for Washington fans).

In his article “Nick Young - Selfish black hole? or Efficient scorer? Associate Editor Rook6980 (who’s seen more of Young than everyone on CelticsBlog put together) argues the latter (emphasis added):

Quote from: Rook6980 in "Nick Young - Selfish black hole? or Efficient scorer?"
My position is that Nick is an efficient scorer - but because of his role in the Offense, he is not asked to "create" offense, but rather to finish offensive plays...

I decided to look back at the 2010-2011 season and watch each and every offensive play available to me on MySynergySports.com.  I hoped to draw some conclusions from watching the actual plays. I hoped to gather some facts that either proved or disproved my point. And of course, since there's no actual basketball, I'm kind of going into withdrawal...

Spot up shooting, Screen plays, Iso's and Transition make up more than 75% of the offensive plays Nick was involved in. After watching all 1,105 plays, I was blown away by how efficient Nick was at spot-up shooting, especially 3-point spot ups. He shot 46% (69% TSP , or 1.38 points per play) from the 3-point line in spot up situations...For comparison Ray Allen, the premier shooter in the League, shot 49% in spot up 3-point situations last year.

Out of 1105 offensive plays, I saw exactly THREE instances where Nick shot the ball and a teammate was (semi) open either under the basket, or closer to the basket with a clear lane to the hoop... THREE TIMES - and he hit one of those shots.

To those who insist on pointing to the anemic assist numbers for Nick - let's remember what his role was on the team. His role was not to dominate the ball. He was not supposed to hold his dribble, survey the court, look for openings in the defense, create driving opportunities, which in turn create open shots for teammates - and then pass to them to take a shot. It was Nick's job to be continually moving without the ball. Running around screens. Setting up in the corners. His job was to get open and shoot. If he didn't get open, he didn't get the basketball. It's hard to get assists when you don't have the basketball - and when he DID get the basketball, it meant he was open and his Coach and teammates expected him to shoot. Clearly the Wizards coaching staff were maximizing Nick's strengths (46% spot up 3-point shooting - ability to catch-and-shoot off screens), and minimizing his weaknesses.

This is exactly how we plan ot use Young — as a finisher and skilled shooter off the bench who’s scoring will punish other 2nd units.

The Rest of the Bench

The Boards Monster
DeJuan Blair, 6-7, 22 years old
8.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.5 bpg in 21.4 mpg

Blair is a tremendous rebounder (top-12 in Reb. %) who grabs nearly 3 offensive boards a game despite playing less than 22 mpg. He’ll play alongisd both Duncan and Gibson at times, giving Coach Thibs another active body on the front line. He’s another gritty lunchbox type guy who plays hard every possession.

The Shot blocker
Ronny Turiaf, 6-10, 28 years old
4.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.1 bpg, 0.5 spg in 17.8 mpg

A prototypical backup Center, Turiaf is an great shotblocker for his size (only 6-11) and above average passer. He and Blair will compete for every rebound, loose ball.

A bit of everything
Austin Daye, 6-11, 22 years old
7.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.5 bpg, 0.5 spg, 1.0 3pt in 20.1 mpg (40.1% from 3pt)

A bit of everything
Wes Johnson, 6-11, 22 years old
9.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.9 apg, 0.7 bpg, 0.7 spg, 1.3 3pt in 26.2 mpg

Wes Johnson and Austin Daye will split the backup SF mins, with Daye getting the nod early on. Daye gives Williams another spot up 3-point shooter to find when running the offense. He should have stayed in school another year but is growing into a solid all-around player, averaging 1/2 a block and steal a game in just 20 mins. His length will come in handy against other SFs like Durant, Hedo and Granger in the East Conf.

Johnson has a higher ceiling, is more athletic and dynamic but is still developing into a solid NBA rotation player on a playoff team. His stats are better than Daye’s but they were part of a horrendous MIN team. We’re anticipating big things in the near future — including serving as the successor in 2012-13 to Nick Young’s role of 6th man. There will be plenty of games where, because of matchups, Johnson is called on first over Daye.

The Wiley Vets
Keyon Dooling, 6-3, 30 years old
7.1 ppg, 3.0 apg, 1.5 rpg, 0.7 spg, 1.0 3pt in 22.0 mpg (2.7 ast/to ratio)

Dooling was a draft bust who’s developed into a solid bench contributor. He’ll be asked to come in and run the team for 10-15 min/gm. He finds the open man, takes care of the ball and defends hard.

Deeper bench
Jordan Hill, 6-10, 23 years old
5.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 bpg in 15.6 mpg

Raja Bell, 6-5 34 years old
8.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.8 spg, 1.0 3pt in 30.8 mpg

Hill is a developing big man who rebounds and defends well. Like Dooling he’s outgrowing the hype that came with being drafted too high and settling into a role as an enforcer.

Bell’s best years are behind him but he’s still an above-average bench defender and shooter. He’ll play situationally (for 5-7 mins against guys like Wade or Eric Gordon) mostly for defensive purposes. A great veteran presence who’s hungry for a ring and will help bring along the younguns.

4. Draft philosophy

With the 21st pick in a 24-team draft we knew building a contender woudl be tough. When we missed out in the 2nd round on the few pairings we thought would be fun to build around (esp. reuiniting Horford/Noah), we decided to take the best players at each draft slot -- while still building a cohesive team — and to move down when possible to gather more assets. The goal was to then try and package players to get a star talent that we missed out on by having a late first pick.

Our picks were:
1.24 - Al Horford
2. 15 - Tyreke Evans
3. 4 - David West
4.10 - Jameer Nelson
4.21 - Andrei Kirilenko
6.10 - DeJuan Blair
7.13 - John Salmons
9.4 - Jodie Meeks
9.13 - Ronny Turiaf
10.21 - Wesley Johnson
11.4 - Jonas Valanciunas
11.11 - Austin Daye
11.13 - Mario Chalmers
12.14 - Keyon Dooling
13.4 - Jordan Hill
13.11 - Dahntay Jones

We think that paid off with 2 blockbuster trades which we’ll discuss below.

5. Toughest Decision

1. Taking Al Horford over Russell Westbrook — I had Westbrook rated higher than Horford but (a) I had Westbrook (taken 41st overall!) last year and wanted to mix things up and (b) felt like there was more depth at guard than center.

2. Drafting Tyreke Evans over Monta Ellis — Heart vs. Head. I think Tyreke is a more gifted all around player who I think can lead a team deep in the playoffs. But I knew how people here feel about him and thought about playing it safe. But i decided to take the guys *I* think are the best, not who necessarily give me the best chance at getting votes.

6. Best/Worst Move

Best moves— the pair of deals that leapfrogged me from borderline playoff team to contender.

MIL sent Deron Williams
NYK sent Tyreke Evans, Andrei Kirilenko, John Salmons

and

BOS sent Tim Duncan, Luol Deng, Taj Gibson
NYK sent Al Horford, David West, Jameer Nelson

The first deal, with Edgar, came about really quickly after he put Williams on the block. I knew that my only shot would be to come in high talent-wise and 1 star + 2 solid role players got it done. That deal left me with a better, more balanced, core of:

Williams / Meeks / Daye / West / Horford

The 2nd deal was a harder decision, but ultimately a no-brainer. The keys to the deal — since i *did really like the David West/Al Horford front line pairing— were:

1. Duncan -- (Yelled a la Cedric Maxwell....) "I got Duncan! I got Duncan!".... I got Tim Duncan to be my 2nd best player alongside arguably the game’s best PG, Deron Williams. Duncan wins titles, he's a leader and can get everyone else motivated to win the title this year. Horford will be better over the next 10 years but Tim D gives me a better shot to win THIS YEAR. Like Rudy T said... "Never underestimate the heart of a champion!"

2. Deng -- Luol is a HUGE upgrade at the SF position and I guy who's game i love. Scorer, defender, rebounder. That upgrade cost a slight downgrade at PF, but Blair/Gibson (and Jordan Hill) gives me 80% of what West (who is injured and I was planning would be out til January) gave me at the 4. If Jason Terry can be the 2nd best player on a title team, Deng is awesome as the 3rd best guy on a contender.

(Deng and Gibson were elated to be reunited with Tom Thib in this trade!)

3. Valanciunas -- Duncan won't be around forever, maybe only another year or 2. So Valanciunas comes in next year as the understudy -- meaning we compete for the title this year AND reload next. In 2012-13, Valanciunas is Duncan to Duncan's David Robinson. I don't make this deal w/o a young center like Val to take over for Duncan alongside Deron and Deng.

Worst moves — (1) Trading down from 2.4 to 2.15 (with IP). I had planned on drafting Noah and building around Horford/Noah and foolishly gambled that Joakim would still be there 11 picks later. My backup was to take one of Tyreke Evans or Monta Ellis so it wasn’t horrible. (2) Probably reaching on Jameer Nelson at 4.10. This and the Turiaf pick were the only times i felt i deviated a little from takign the best player and reaching a little for need. Instead of Nelson I should have taken Dorrel Wright.

7. Your outlook for this coming season

It's pretty simple... with the Best PG (Deron), the most accomplished champion of this generation (Duncan) and a skiled, efficient supporting cast that fits well together, the best case scenario is an NBA Finals run and a shot at the title depending on matchups.

The Atlantic is the CelticsBlog Drafts’ best top-to-bottom division but we think we’ve got a legit shot at taking it.

Worst case scenario — Duncan gets injured and we squeak into the 8th seed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:46:34 AM by Gainesville Celtic »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Question for Boston: Jameer Nelson is only two seasons off of an All-Star appearance and he has more playoff experience than Holiday and Stuckey combined. He's wearing Ray-Bans on the bench?

Likewise, no room for 2011 sixth pick Jan Vesely? Considered by many the most-NBA ready of this years European draftees.

Yes, Jammer is a fine player but he is someone who has ridden some considerably large coattails to all star status. On these Celtics he's viewed more as a super Eddie House. You're also underselling Stuckey's playoff experience playing the same role we're asking him to do now, 6th man covering for both guard positions.

As for Vesley, I have nothing but love for the European Blake Griffin, and it's entirely possible that by season's end he could be the starter, he's that talented, but for now he's behind Jones because Jones just played this role on a team in the NBA finals.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Questions for Boston:

1.  Where does your leadership come from?

2.  Seemingly, Holiday, Gordon, and Turk all need the ball in their hands to be successful.  How do you see your offense running?

3.  I won't get into the Duncan trade, since you addressed it.  What was your thinking with the David West trade?  Do you think you got fair value?

4.  Where do you see yourself in your division / conference?  Can you make the playoffs?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Yes, Jammer is a fine player but he is someone who has ridden some considerably large coattails to all star status. On these Celtics he's viewed more as a super Eddie House. You're also underselling Stuckey's playoff experience playing the same role we're asking him to do now, 6th man covering for both guard positions.

As for Vesley, I have nothing but love for the European Blake Griffin, and it's entirely possible that by season's end he could be the starter, he's that talented, but for now he's behind Jones because Jones just played this role on a team in the NBA finals.

I disagree with Nelson.  In real life, he would still be starting ahead of Holliday.  He is the better PG then Stuckey.

I think your team would be better served with a closer to 50/50 split between Nelson and Holliday at PG, then playing 10 minutes of small ball with a three guard team (Stuckey at SF) 

Otherwise, you are wasting some of your better talent. 

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Questions for Boston:

1.  Where does your leadership come from?

2.  Seemingly, Holiday, Gordon, and Turk all need the ball in their hands to be successful.  How do you see your offense running?

3.  I won't get into the Duncan trade, since you addressed it.  What was your thinking with the David West trade?  Do you think you got fair value?

4.  Where do you see yourself in your division / conference?  Can you make the playoffs?

1. The locker room leadership comes from Horford, Jameer, Arthur and Hedo. All players with significant experience in the league who have all been vital members successful teams.

2. I think Holiday adapted well this year to not needing the ball as much, considering he played alongside Iggy/Meeks/ Lou Williams. Gordon was productive alongside Baron and Griffin, in fact his production went up-- he was more productive with Bdiddy, but that probably has more to do with him coming back from injury after Baron was gone--.  Yes, all these players are effective with the ball but the reason they're so effective is that they are willing passers who make smart decisions. Something Coach Pop will love.

3. Considering David West is 31 years old and coming off a major injury that has doomed the production of other bigs before him-- looking at you Elton Brand-- then yes, I do feel like I got fair value.http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-03-27/season-ending-knee-injury-likely-to-impact-david-wests-value-as-free-agent

4. You may laugh, but I think we're the most well rounded team in the conference.  I think NYK has starting line-up issues with Blair and Meeks. I don't like the PF  situation in Philly ( Dwest and Kenyon are too inury prone for me). So based on overall talent and depth at all positions, I think we're capable of finishing second in the division and easily making the playoffs as I think everyone in our division will.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

I disagree with Nelson.  In real life, he would still be starting ahead of Holliday.  He is the better PG then Stuckey.

I think your team would be better served with a closer to 50/50 split between Nelson and Holliday at PG, then playing 10 minutes of small ball with a three guard team (Stuckey at SF) 

Otherwise, you are wasting some of your better talent. 

I don't think Jameer would start over Holiday, Jameer's size has consistently been an issue in the pick and roll game with Howard as well as allowing bigger point guards easier penetration. Plus, Holiday averaged more assists per game than Jameer without the benefit of a Dwight Howard.

Stuckey off the bench is a game changer and that's why he's getting so many minutes on this team, to be able to continue to apply pressure even when some of the starters are out.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Great job with the photoshopping, GC.  It earns you extra credit with me. ;)  Some questions:

1.  KC seems to think he reached on Tim Duncan.  Do you agree?  Is he still a 1st round player?

2.  What have you seen out of Taj Gibson and Jodie Meeks that makes you think they can make up 40% of a championship contender's starting lineup?

3.  Is Deron Williams a leader, or just another selfish superstar?  He's traditionally had issues with teammates and his coach.  Is he a great leader, or just a guy who puts up good numbers?

4.  Who are the other players on the floor when Nick Young is in the game, and what type of offense are you running during those times?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I would prefer to see Nick Young start at shooting guard instead of Jodie Meeks.

(1) Not a fan of Meeks. He provides nothing outside of floor spacing.
(2) I think that is a great lineup for N.Young to be apart of.

The defensive backbone of Duncan, Taj and Deng will provide great protection for Young. Plus, the passing of Deron Williams will be great for him offensively + that unit needs another scorer given Timmy's decline.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
A question to all GMs, to some extent:

As of right now, without hearing all arguments, here's how I see things shaking out:

1.  Philly
2.  New York
3.  New Jersey
4.  Boston

And here's how I see the bottom of the conference preliminarily:

7. New Jersey
8. Orlando
9. Boston

Explain why I'm right / wrong, and if you're Boston, convince me you're better than New Jersey and/or the Magic.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
A question to all GMs, to some extent:

Explain why I'm right / wrong, and if you're Boston, convince me you're better than New Jersey and/or the Magic.

Gladly, although I think the Knicks are going to be severely hindered by Duncan's continued regression and starting Gibson and Meeks and Philly will be hampered by not having a fully healthy PF.

New Jersey faces a real problem in that Perk and Scola will consistently get in each other's way. Scola needs to be in the post to be his most effective which means you have to clear out Perk, which would allow for easy double teams on Scola. Also, the two of them and they're lack of mobility and range threat will make it harder for Durant and Conley to get to the bucket. Additionaly, Rip Hamilton hasn't played more than 60 gmaes the past two seasons and is 33, I don't think he can play more games than he has this season and his only back up is Rudy Fernandez. This team is talented, I just don't think the pieces fit that well.

Orlando has a great point guard and that's about it. Maggette's production cratered this past year as he was only able to play 20 minutes a game. JRich is a good player but worse than Eric Gordon at this point and his front court is the cast of the " Not Ready for Primetime" players.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I think Wesley Johnson is one of those players, a little like K.Durant, who was played out of position as a rookie and could see a nice bump from switching back to his natural (SF) position.