Author Topic: Win it all next year and put ourselves in full rebuild mode: Trade with Phoenix  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Thatīs pretty much the only realistic deal that would make sense to me, if we donīt want to blow it up.

Iīd prefer to trade Rondo for 2 Draft picks, and invest the MLE in a PG. That would give us 5 picks to combine with one of the big three for a top deal at the deadline.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Thatīs pretty much the only realistic deal that would make sense to me, if we donīt want to blow it up.

Iīd prefer to trade Rondo for 2 Draft picks, and invest the MLE in a PG. That would give us 5 picks to combine with one of the big three for a top deal at the deadline.

This could possibly be done in a multi-team trade.  Rondo is worth more than 2 draft picks though.  What young team needs a pg?  Sacramento? 

Sacramento gives:  2 future firsts (top 3 protected), Jason Thompson
Sacramento gets:  Rondo, JO (expiring)

Boston gives:  Rondo, LAC first rounder, Green, Bradley, Ray Allen, JO
Boston gets:  Nelson, Howard, Redick

Orlando gives:  Howard, Nelson, Redick
Orlando gets:  Sacramento's 2 picks, LAC first rounder, A. Bradley, Jeff Green, Ray Allen, Jason Thompson

Boston resigns West, Wafer, Krstic, a backup 3 with the MLE.  We get our backup 4 minutes from a draft pick, LLE, Big Baby resigning, or vet min signing.  Or the MLE is a 3/4 guy like (gulp) Al Harrington.  (Thankfully he's not available, but a guy like him)

I think Boston and Sac do this trade in a heartbeat.  But Orlando?  I dunno... it looks like Denver got more for a lesser player in Carmelo.  Does Dwight even agree to an extension with this kind of deal?  Likely not.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't know that this really improves us that much in the short term. Interesting though, depending on your view of Gortat. We'd become a team on offense with something of a post presence and aside from that be almost exclusively a jump shooting team. Our transition defense would take a big hit and we'd be one of the least athletic teams in the playoffs. I don't think Rondo for Nash really helps us get past Miami or Chicago. Again, it depends on what you think Gortat does for us.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Gortat + Garnett = defensively, the best big man pairing in the NBA?

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This could possibly be done in a multi-team trade.  Rondo is worth more than 2 draft picks though.  What young team needs a pg?  Sacramento?  

Minnesota, Clippers, Portland, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Cleveland...

How about this (Iīm improvising here)?

Rondo to the Wolves for the rights to Ricky Rubio and Utahīs 2012 first-rounder + Filler

It becomes more and more apparent that Rubio doesnīt want to play for Minny, but he might be interested in playing with the big three.

Or Rondo + their protected first to the Clippers for Kaman + Minnyīs Pick + unprotected first (donīt know if thatīs within the rules, maybe it would take 2 separate deals)

That would give us two unprotected first-rounders in 2012 from the Clippers and the Wolves. I donīt see any contender in the league that could put a better package together.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:33:35 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
not bad actually, I can't believe I'm saying that, but not bad

ultimately I don't think I'd do it though
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:45:46 AM by Jeff »
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Offline rastafarian

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I was positive my account was still on this website, i just forgot my username...sorry i bumped this topic

i still like my trade idea though

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=50908.0

I started this topic yesterday, perhaps the Mods can merge these two topics because I think this is a sensible idea. But the league might put the Ka-Bosh on it for the "best interests of the league".
The beatings will continue until morale improves