Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 406691 times)

Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
I'm amazed at how few C-bloggers come from the Boston area. Up until I came to this blog, I always thought that all Celtics fans were from New England. I guess this shows the power of the Internet (or my ignorance). I'd be curious to see a thread about why people (not from NE) became Celtics fans. I don't believe that it just happens if you live in a place like Nebraska. You need either a Boston connection or a family member who rooted for the team while you were growing up or a dream to be Larry Bird.   

« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2008, 09:44:35 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
I'm from the Southeastern US. I am a Celtic fan because my family got me into it. My parents grew up in Michigan, but my Dad really liked the Russell Celtics and he's been a fan ever since. He raised all of us to be Celtic fans too.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »

Offline NoBlarney

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
I live in a small mining town in Nevada.  I started pulling for the Celts when I was 8 years old, mostly because my Dad was a fan. That was in 1965.  All through school I was the only one that liked Boston.  I never stopped.

« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm amazed at how few C-bloggers come from the Boston area. Up until I came to this blog, I always thought that all Celtics fans were from New England. I guess this shows the power of the Internet (or my ignorance). I'd be curious to see a thread about why people (not from NE) became Celtics fans. I don't believe that it just happens if you live in a place like Nebraska. You need either a Boston connection or a family member who rooted for the team while you were growing up or a dream to be Larry Bird.   

I probably would've never been a Cs fan if there was a pro hoops team within 100 miles of me.  I grew up in Waveland, MS (about 40 mintues east of New Orleans), and the Jazz were gone in '79.  I identified with the Cs because of the shamrock and name (Irish roots), Larry and their general working class demeanor when compared to the flashy Lakers.  Once drawn in, if there are compelling aspects to the team and players, then you're stuck, and the Cs didn't lack for compelling personalities or for drama.

When you capture a kid's imagination, then actual proximity to Boston is the least of your concerns.  The 80s, thankfully, featured a lot of Cs games, so one could keep cultivating one's fanhood.  It was definitely increasingly difficult to maintain close ties when things went lean because TV spots went way down. 

Then comes the explosion of the net and league pass, and you can follow closer than ever.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm from South East New England.

« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
Southeastern Mass here!

"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

How about watching that same white guy
you mentioned, playing like he was born
to do so? For me, that was what it was.
For all I knew at the time, basketball
was a "black" sport. I'd only watched the
Globetrotters beat up the Generals
on so many occasions. That was what I knew
about basketball.
That wasn't me being racist or fascist or
whatever. That was just me being a kid who
really didn't know much about anything.

Besides, I totally fell in love with the
Celtics color scheme and their logo.

I had no connection to the Boston area
and I still don't. I'm the only one in my
family who likes b-ball.
I think us fans come in so many shapes and
forms, it's quite interesting.

By the way, the "Where are you from?" thing
works on different levels.

« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2008, 01:52:01 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Quezon City, Metropolitan Manila, Philippines  ;D

my dad was an avid faker fan and i watched and cheer for every team they played against. saw toine and been a celt fan ever since. twas in 97 i think

oh my dad and i ddnt get along sooo..  ;D

« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline jsilva982

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Originally: Gloucester, MA. 
Currently: Washington, DC.

« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Originally... Derry, NH
Currently.... Alton, NH
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2008, 08:38:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I chimed in about 15 or so pages ago but I thought I'd assure those outside of Boston that Boston based Celtics fans do indeed blog here.

I was born, raised, and still reside in Everett, Mass which, for those not familiar with the area, borders Boston(Charlestown) on the north and our city hall is all of 1.3 miles away from Boston City Hall.

Which makes me wonder, does anyone here live closer to the TD BankNorth Garden than I do? If I hopped in the car I could drive and be in front of the Garden in probably 5 minutes or less.

« Reply #296 on: July 07, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Charlestown, Rhode Island here! here!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #297 on: July 07, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »

Offline bray17

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
Ashland, Kentucky here --

Home of such notables as Brandon Webb, Ashley Judd, and Charlie Manson.

I work just across the river in Huntington, WV; the same small town where our future friend Bill Walker grew up. 

« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Winnipeg

« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2008, 09:00:38 PM »

Offline Sheriff

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Melbourne, Australia.