Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 403564 times)

Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Born and raised in Santa Margarita, CA, population 1,100.

Spent 4 years of college in Santa Barbara.... if you can find nicer weather, you're lying.

Currently 9 months into my career in the uber-expensive Bay Area, CA.

How similar is the Santa Barbara weather to that of Santa Monica?  As a big-time Dodger fan, I've stayed in Santa Monica for a couple of my trips out to Chavez Ravine and absolutely loved it there.  Just a beautifully crisp, clean feel to the air all the time.

-sw

P.S.  Pardon my general lack of knowledge of the Santa-related geography in Cali.  I'm really going to feel like a fool when they are right next to each other.

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

Spent 4 years of college in Santa Barbara.... if you can find nicer weather, you're lying.

How similar is the Santa Barbara weather to that of Santa Monica?  As a big-time Dodger fan, I've stayed in Santa Monica for a couple of my trips out to Chavez Ravine and absolutely loved it there.  Just a beautifully crisp, clean feel to the air all the time.

-sw

P.S.  Pardon my general lack of knowledge of the Santa-related geography in Cali.  I'm really going to feel like a fool when they are right next to each other.

They aren't that much different (about an hour apart I think).  Basically the difference between Santa Barbara and the other oceanside paradises on the California coast (Santa Monica, Malibu, San Diego, etc...) is that the highs in a Santa Barbara stay around 85-90, as opposed to the 90-95+ in the LA/San Diego areas. 

edit - just looked, the highest normal high in Santa Barbara 78 in August, and the lowest norm low is 40 (meaning no overnight freezes) in January.  Santa Monica gets mid-80s on the beach, but mid to high 90s inland.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:29:12 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
I was born in Boston, moved to Denmark with my mom and dad when i was 1 year old and i currently live in a town called Holstebro in Denmark.

The funny thing is that ive lived here for close to 24 years now and when my dad trys to speak danish i cannot understand more then 2 words out of 10 (he is that bad at it) but both me and my mom is fluent in Danish, makes for some interresting sitiuations at home when my mom curses in danish to my dad just for the fun of it.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Born in Portland, Maine; First few years lived on Sebago Lake year-round, (in Raymond ... my childhood house was bought by Dave Cowens, by the way); Raised in Gorham, ME; Went to school there until high school, then North Yarmouth Academy Prep School 9-12; then colleges and graduate schools in Worcester, Cambridge, and Boston, MA, Rhode Island, and North Carolina; Internships/Residencies in St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Florida and New York City; Back to Portland, Cape Elizabeth, and eventually full-circle to Gorham, ME, where I live now.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
born in detroit mich..got my first bass in motown..about 16years old family moved to denver colorado..i'm from the snow but denver got it bad..lived in denver for a few years then family moved to san diego cali...went to skool played a lil football in jr college...got older and moved to the desert..palm spring cali..thump city..

« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I was born in Managua, Nicaragua. I live in Costa Rica since 1985.

Jorge.

Pura Vida Mae! Love it that we have a Tico on the board!

« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
currently live in Cary, North Carolina. (in the middle of the triangle here surrounded by Raeigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Office is right in between Cameron Indoor and the Dean Dome. College basketball heaven...

« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Methuen, MA
to Amherst, MA for college
to North Hampton, NH for fun
to North Conway, NH for work and fun
to Park City, UT for work and fun
to Denver, CO now!
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I am from Mos Eisley, Tatooine, which is known to many as a pirate city. Overrun by criminal transients on the lam, Mos Eisley has been described as a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Mos Eisley is one of the largest spaceports on Tatooine. Its architecture is typical of the Tatooine style -- blockhouses largely sunken into the sand, providing some respite from the relentless desert suns. The city is arranged in a wheel formation, with the central power and water distribution plants at its hub. Circular docking bays and landing pads dot the city, and the sky is busy with interstellar traffic.

;)

« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I am from Mos Eisley, Tatooine, which is known to many as a pirate city. Overrun by criminal transients on the lam, Mos Eisley has been described as a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Mos Eisley is one of the largest spaceports on Tatooine. Its architecture is typical of the Tatooine style -- blockhouses largely sunken into the sand, providing some respite from the relentless desert suns. The city is arranged in a wheel formation, with the central power and water distribution plants at its hub. Circular docking bays and landing pads dot the city, and the sky is busy with interstellar traffic.

;)

I have a buddy that use to hang out at a cantina there. But one night he got a little wasted, bumped into a young farm boy, and then suddenly got his arm cut off by this old wizard. Luckily for him, they have made alot of progress with the biomechanical technology to create a life-like appendage that works just as well as the original.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Born and raised in Boston. Now living in Santa Cruz, CA.

« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

Offline Zoots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Oro Valley, AZ.

« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

They aren't that much different (about an hour apart I think).  Basically the difference between Santa Barbara and the other oceanside paradises on the California coast (Santa Monica, Malibu, San Diego, etc...) is that the highs in a Santa Barbara stay around 85-90, as opposed to the 90-95+ in the LA/San Diego areas. 

edit - just looked, the highest normal high in Santa Barbara 78 in August, and the lowest norm low is 40 (meaning no overnight freezes) in January.  Santa Monica gets mid-80s on the beach, but mid to high 90s inland.

Gotcha, much thanks for the clarification, BT.  Sounds like I'll have to concede and convert to your SB love then.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »

Offline swebb87

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Revere, MA here..

« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2008, 11:00:07 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Moved to Quincy, MA in August.