Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 398327 times)

Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »

Offline UK Celtic

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 15
Thanks Bob.

I actually wondered if some poor guy was translating everything written on CelticsBlog into Chinese, Japanese etc. I feel a bit stupid now.

Thanks for the info.

I noticed that there's a Union Jack in the upper left corner. I'd like to think that my fellow Brits would realise that 'flavor' still means 'flavour' etc and that Americans call trousers 'pants' but I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't.

I still remember hearing an American tourist loudly talking about their 'fanny' in a public place.  It took me a while to realise that they were talking about their backside.  In England a 'fanny' refers to a very diffrent part of the anatomy.

Remember this if you ever visit Britain and decide to bring a 'fannypack' with you. :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 07:16:47 PM by UK Celtic »
"I've got like six Myspace pages.  You know I'm famous now"
- Future Hall-of-Famer DeShawn Stevenson

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
I live in Bermuda now,

I have one question after having been there twice.  How, pride, do you Bermudans not kill 3/4s of us Americans who rent mopeds there and make left and right turns directly into traffic because we can't get used to driving in the left lane?   ::)

Actually, Moped accidents are far too high on the fatality list on the island. It's not just the Americans going the wrong way, it's natives swerving in and out of traffic.

I've lived here just over a year now. One thing that helps is the 35 mph speed limit. The other is that a lot of the roads are so narrow, there's really only one side of the street :)

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2007, 08:07:49 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I recall a time in London when I was with some of my American friends.  We were coming out of the Tube when an older gentleman overheard their accents.  He come over with a big smile and asked them if they had seen the "werewolf".  My friends, being young (High School), were completely clueless as to what he was asking.  He took one look at their faces and burst out laughing.  I had to explain to them that he was referencing the movie An American Werewolf In London.

Upon typing this, the memory is a lot funnier than what I can express in words.  Thought I would   share never the less....             

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »

Offline green18

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
North Conway, NH / Kennebunk, ME / South Boston, MA / Florence, NJ  / Bangor, ME (next year)

With quite a few stops in between (NY, OR, ID, etc.)

I live in Hamilton Township Roy, were practically neighbors.

Nice.  You're basically right up the street.  Let me know if you want to get tickets when the Celts are in Philly.

http://www.stubhub.com/philadelphia-76ers-tickets/?event_id=441423

Lower Center 101 row 14 sounds good to me. The Celtics bench is in 124. I sat in 124 row 01 before. Too close to the court. You can only see from the players knees and up when they go down the other end. 101 row 01 is right behind Mike and Tommy. That would be fun. Let me know what you think.

My sister lives off of Neck Rd by the CVS. I am down there most weekends watching football this time of the year.

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2007, 10:15:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Worcester, MA---> Chestnut Hill, MA--->Somerville, MA (4 years now and loving it)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2007, 02:11:33 PM »

Offline celtfan 3.0

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
  • Slusho makes me happy!
I live in Bermuda now,

I have one question after having been there twice.  How, pride, do you Bermudans not kill 3/4s of us Americans who rent mopeds there and make left and right turns directly into traffic because we can't get used to driving in the left lane?   ::)

this happened to me in antigua, but i was in a rental car! lol not only do u drive on the opposite side of the road, u sit on the opposite side of the car while doing it! almost hit cars, people, goats, dogs, etc! the force wasnt strong with me that week, lol.

The hardest thing about driving on the other street is actually (at least for me) is not being in the other lane, but the blinkers and windshield wipers are on the opposite side of the steering wheel.  Every time I want to make a turn, my wipers come on.  That's frustrating.  Driving a stick with your left hand was actually not as hard as I thought, and I've only turned into the wrong late twice.  But the [dang] wipers......

Also, I heard when I was in Greece that the number 1 cause of death for American tourists in Greece is moped accidents.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is bunny. Please copy and paste him to your sig so that he can achieve his dream of world domination.

Reggie Miller - "The East is a crap shoot."
Dan Patrick - "Emphasis on crap."

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
I've lived here just over a year now. One thing that helps is the 35 mph speed limit. The other is that a lot of the roads are so narrow, there's really only one side of the street

Going 35MPH on a moped felt like going 90 on my motorcycle.  I've never driven a car where the lanes are backward, but the scariest thing is riding in the back of a cab for the first few times when you're not used to the direction of the traffic.   

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
This topic is turning into a public service thread. Allow your crazy Uncle Bob to make a few contributions...

When you are in London, trust your driver. He is an expert in how to scotch up and throw the vehicle you are riding in, into something like either a 480 or 960 degree spin (left or right--sometimes both) in order not to slam into the double-decker tourist bus that has either gotten caught in high power and telephone lines and/or has tipped over and spilled Americans all over the place.

If you are in downtown Paris and need to cross the street, move with the herd. That is the only way to cross a downtown street in Paris and live to see the other side. Try to stay in the middle of the pack. It is the safest place for you. French drivers will never attack the herd as a whole. Even though they have superior advantage, they realize that direct, forceful attack against such a large group might inadvertently result in some personal injury to themselves. So when the herd moves, they stop, lay back, churn out hydrocarbons and wait for the central portion to pass so they can then pick off all the young, old, sick and weak stragglers.

If you are in Athens and decide you would like to take an excursion though the local country side, forget about driving altogether. The Greek people are universally humane and will restrain you with force if necessary rather than see you snuff your own life out prematurely behind the wheel of an automobile in Greece. What they will allow you to do is take a "crash course" in Greek highway navigation. It is a complex thing that involves knowing way more than just how to operate a motor vehicle. They will usually start you out in a position I can only describe to other Americans as "riding shotgun".

Gaining mastery of that position is essential if you wish to become the friends of Greeks in any significant ways. Never fear, they will provide you with an assortment of tools to designed to accelerate your learning experience. That usually involves at least a hair-raising car ride that would make "Mad Max" soil his trousers and a sack full of empty wine bottles, empty food cans, cat litter, cats, rancid meat, rotten tomatoes and eggplant, perhaps a busted mandolin or two and other things that cannot be mentioned here that you, as "shotgun" are expected to hurl at other motorists when needed. Notice I said, "when", not "if".

Trust me, they'll provide you with cues and teach you all you need to know about it. Once you get it under your belt, it's great fun. I realize this may sound a bit far out there, but in my opinion, you really haven't lived until you've seen what a fifteen pound leg of stinking mutton can do to the top of a car or one of its windows at highway speed.

The old saying is true, "Travel broadens one."
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I'm from the place where American Patriots first struck against the crown by attacking and sinking the hated British revenue schooner HMS Gaspee in 1772, which started the process that lead to the American Revolution - Pawtuxet Villiage, Rhode Island.

That darn Boston Tea Party )1773) must have had a better publicist. 

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I live in Bermuda now,

this happened to me in antigua, but i was in a rental car! lol not only do u drive on the opposite side of the road, u sit on the opposite side of the car while doing it! almost hit cars, people, goats, dogs, etc! the force wasnt strong with me that week, lol.

The hardest thing about driving on the other street is actually (at least for me) is not being in the other lane, but the blinkers and windshield wipers are on the opposite side of the steering wheel.  Every time I want to make a turn, my wipers come on.  That's frustrating.  Driving a stick with your left hand was actually not as hard as I thought, and I've only turned into the wrong late twice.  But the [dang] wipers......

Also, I heard when I was in Greece that the number 1 cause of death for American tourists in Greece is moped accidents.

fortunately i had an automatic. i totally know what u mean about the wipers vs. turn signals! lol

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline UK Celtic

• Derrick White
If you are in downtown Paris and need to cross the street, move with the herd. That is the only way to cross a downtown street in Paris and live to see the other side. Try to stay in the middle of the pack. It is the safest place for you. French drivers will never attack the herd as a whole. Even though they have superior advantage, they realize that direct, forceful attack against such a large group might inadvertently result in some personal injury to themselves. So when the herd moves, they stop, lay back, churn out hydrocarbons and wait for the central portion to pass so they can then pick off all the young, old, sick and weak stragglers.

Brilliant ;D.  It's funny because it's so very true.

Quote from: TripleOT

link=topic=9915.msg169090#msg169090 date=1189372257
I'm from the place where American Patriots first struck against the crown by attacking and sinking the hated British revenue schooner HMS Gaspee in 1772, which started the process that lead to the American Revolution - Pawtuxet Villiage, Rhode Island.

That darn Boston Tea Party )1773) must have had a better publicist. 

What a terrible place!  Hopefully, one day Pawtuxet Village will be demolished and a memorial to the great HMS Gaspee will be erected in it's place.

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2007, 05:34:49 PM »

Offline UK Celtic

• Derrick White
Before I get bombarded with angry PMs.....

That was a joke. ;)

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Before I get bombarded with angry PMs.....

That was a joke. ;)

Actually, we create a memorial of the HMS Gaspee every year. 

Then we burn it.

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2007, 06:09:19 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
The first trip I made to Europe was also the first I ever made to New York City. I had one hour to make a plane transfer from JFK airport to La Guardia. In spite of the language barrier (him from New York, me from Kentucky) I managed to convey my need to this man with whom I was placing my destiny (I didn't realize that at the time).

What ensued was a taxi cab ride across New York composed of such nightmarish fabric, it could result in years of waking up in cold sweats from the sounds of one's own screams. The irony of this was that when I came back from Paris, I almost managed to leap out of my jet in order to kiss and caress the runway blacktop of New York in such a way that I imagine most people would consider vulgar.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2007, 02:58:06 PM »

Offline MiniBird

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Amager, there is another poster from Denmark on CelticsBlog, I think he's called 'MiniBird' so you are not alone!

Right on the money there UK Celtic... I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark.

but i will be going on a small trip exactly 2 weeks from today...
guess where i'm going!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D