Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 398297 times)

Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2007, 03:36:28 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I was born in Tokyo, moved to MA when I was 7, moved around a bit within the state and a brief stint in New Hampshire, was overseas for a year, and now live in Oakland.  I would love to live in Melbourne, Australia at some point in my life.
Along these lines, I'm thinking it could be fun to see who are the CelticsBlog posters who live closest to the North and South Poles...?  :)

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »

Offline UK Celtic

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 15
I was born in Tokyo, moved to MA when I was 7, moved around a bit within the state and a brief stint in New Hampshire, was overseas for a year, and now live in Oakland.  I would love to live in Melbourne, Australia at some point in my life.

I'd love to visit Tokyo some time in the future, seems like an incredible city and an amazing country.  I've heard that Westerners are in a stunned daze for the first few days they are there.

Melbourne is another cool place I'd like to go.  Apparently, it has the highest quality of life of any city in the world.
"I've got like six Myspace pages.  You know I'm famous now"
- Future Hall-of-Famer DeShawn Stevenson

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2007, 10:20:31 AM »

Offline sexyscottish

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 217
I'm in the US now, but was born in Tokyo if that counts

It definitely counts, 3.0...who would I have to argue with? ;D
----------------------------------------
I'm from Auburn, Maine transplanted to Iowa for 30+ years.

No kidding, I used to live in Auburn Maine.  Best place I've ever lived.  And I'm from Scotland originally, as if it was hard to see, but live in Conneticut now.
"Sometimes it seems like you love this team more than me."--my wife during many a Celtics game.  Thank God she can't read my mind.  ;0)

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2007, 11:34:38 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
massachusetts, by way of mos eisley, tattoine ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:14:05 PM by dark_lord_rises_again »

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
I live in Bermuda now,

I have one question after having been there twice.  How, pride, do you Bermudans not kill 3/4s of us Americans who rent mopeds there and make left and right turns directly into traffic because we can't get used to driving in the left lane?   ::)

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2007, 11:58:22 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I only did presently.

Concord, NH-->Centralia, IL-->Ilsan, South Korea.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »

Offline Ref10

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
Born and bred and bleeding green all my life in Masachusetts. ;)
Bob

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 01:15:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I live in Bermuda now,

I have one question after having been there twice.  How, pride, do you Bermudans not kill 3/4s of us Americans who rent mopeds there and make left and right turns directly into traffic because we can't get used to driving in the left lane?   ::)

this happened to me in antigua, but i was in a rental car! lol not only do u drive on the opposite side of the road, u sit on the opposite side of the car while doing it! almost hit cars, people, goats, dogs, etc! the force wasnt strong with me that week, lol.

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Hilarious post, DL

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »

Offline green18

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
North Conway, NH / Kennebunk, ME / South Boston, MA / Florence, NJ  / Bangor, ME (next year)

With quite a few stops in between (NY, OR, ID, etc.)

I live in Hamilton Township Roy, were practically neighbors.

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
North Conway, NH / Kennebunk, ME / South Boston, MA / Florence, NJ  / Bangor, ME (next year)

With quite a few stops in between (NY, OR, ID, etc.)

I live in Hamilton Township Roy, were practically neighbors.

Nice.  You're basically right up the street.  Let me know if you want to get tickets when the Celts are in Philly.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2007, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico

This is a wonderful thread. As Jeff indicated, we regularly receive visitors from over 100 countries around this old world. I would expand a bit on that. The numbers Jeff provided reflect a very short range sample. I would add that internet visitation numbers are notoriously skewed also and the issue becomes greater the further away from the U.S. the statistics are gathered.

For an example, we know we have some "unique visits" and "unique visitors" that may in fact represent dozens if not hundreds of individuals connecting to CB on multiple occasions. So for instance, when we see visitors from Yemen, we don't know if we are seeing one American abroad just checking in, or a large number of local persons as well who love basketball and are hooking up with us on a regular basis.

Here's another interesting tidbit. Any sampling of CelticsBlog visitation will produce a list of at least fifty language variations. Yep, that's not a typo folks. The top ten include two forms of English, two forms of Spanish, French, Italian, German, Chinese, Portuguese and a large number of computers that are configured to handle many languages. After those ten, the list becomes truly fascinating.

There's an interesting offshoot from this as well. You wouldn't believe how much our auto-translation service is used. Thanks to Google providing developers like myself with access to their technology, we currently offer automatic translation of around 99% of everything in this website into nine different languages.

It is not a perfect system. The translations are not always the best and are for the most part "read only". Still, they have expanded the usability of CelticsBlog in a major way and many people put them to good use. When Google finishes the testing of their new Arabic translation system, I look forward to adding it to our website.

In my years, I've done some touring of the Earth. I won't recount those excursions here other than to say they occupy nearly all of the top rankings of profound experiences I've been granted in this life. Thus when I come to CelticsBlog, there is nothing more special to me than seeing the constituency of this assemblage. Yo Denmark, Yo Yemen, Yo Puerto Rico. Thank you all for the blessing of your presence in this place.

BTW, I'm originally from Kentucky, USA. Naturally, that explains my obsession with basketball.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Plymouth, MA

Me too, what part? I live in South Plymouth. Don't worry, I have no intentions of staging a rendevous behind Marshalls or anything like that.

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline irishmafia2010

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
South Hadley, MA but currently going to school in New York when it is looking like a great time to be a Boston sports fan. 

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

This is a wonderful thread. As Jeff indicated, we regularly receive visitors from over 100 countries around this old world. I would expand a bit on that. The numbers Jeff provided reflect a very short range sample. I would add that internet visitation numbers are notoriously skewed also and the issue becomes greater the further away from the U.S. the statistics are gathered.

For an example, we know we have some "unique visits" and "unique visitors" that may in fact represent dozens if not hundreds of individuals connecting to CB on multiple occasions. So for instance, when we see visitors from Yemen, we don't know if we are seeing one American abroad just checking in, or a large number of local persons as well who love basketball and are hooking up with us on a regular basis.

Here's another interesting tidbit. Any sampling of CelticsBlog visitation will produce a list of at least fifty language variations. Yep, that's not a typo folks. The top ten include two forms of English, two forms of Spanish, French, Italian, German, Chinese, Portuguese and a large number of computers that are configured to handle many languages. After those ten, the list becomes truly fascinating.

There's an interesting offshoot from this as well. You wouldn't believe how much our auto-translation service is used. Thanks to Google providing developers like myself with access to their technology, we currently offer automatic translation of around 99% of everything in this website into nine different languages.

It is not a perfect system. The translations are not always the best and are for the most part "read only". Still, they have expanded the usability of CelticsBlog in a major way and many people put them to good use. When Google finishes the testing of their new Arabic translation system, I look forward to adding it to our website.

In my years, I've done some touring of the Earth. I won't recount those excursions here other than to say they occupy nearly all of the top rankings of profound experiences I've been granted in this life. Thus when I come to CelticsBlog, there is nothing more special to me than seeing the constituency of this assemblage. Yo Denmark, Yo Yemen, Yo Puerto Rico. Thank you all for the blessing of your presence in this place.

BTW, I'm originally from Kentucky, USA. Naturally, that explains my obsession with basketball.

tp for the very cool and interesting facts on the blog. thanks for sharing bob!