Author Topic: Official NBA 2k8 Information/General 2k8 stuff Thread  (Read 43868 times)

Re: Official NBA 2k8 Information/General 2k8 stuff Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »

Offline emaz31

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Not sure if this has been covered already, but has anyone figured out the dunk contest (on 360)? Usually I can pick stuff up in video games pretty quickly, but I've tried this thing for hours and the best I could do is one dunk about every 15 attempts. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the success of the dunks.
The tutorials seem pretty helpful, but they don't translate to the actual dunks at all. Anyone got advice?

« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Looking for some new people to play this with.  I've got it for 360.  My live account is shiggins03, find me online or PM me.  Always looking for new people to play with.

« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
For those of you who are frustrated with the layups, just dunk everything.  I used to have that problem, I would get really mad every time I played the game.  Just hit the right thumbstick up to dunk, if the player can't dunk because he's too short or its too crowded he just takes a layup

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
kevin garnett is the cover athlete for nba 2k9.

can't wait for this.

link

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I agree PP is awful in this game. I don't know if it's cause he has a longer release than other players, but I just can't play with him. Ray Allen is unstoppable on open looks. If you're on the break try dunking it instead of going for a layup, but I agree you do miss an inordinate amount of easy layups.

Backing down with KG in the post in pretty much guaranteed points every time. Also Rondo can drain the open 3 for some reason with some consistency.

pierce is deadly if you know how to use the shot stick, he's an amazing player going to the hoop.

never, ever, ever use shoot to take the ball to the rim, it will always do the defualt lay up/ dunk.

instead, use the thumb stick. its realative to the ball. so if paul has it in his right hand and you have the guy beat to the right, flick it that way for a righty lay up, lefty to try to go lefty, back to try to draw contact, forward to try to power past.

once you master the shot stick, pierce is unstoppable.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I agree PP is awful in this game. I don't know if it's cause he has a longer release than other players, but I just can't play with him. Ray Allen is unstoppable on open looks. If you're on the break try dunking it instead of going for a layup, but I agree you do miss an inordinate amount of easy layups.

Backing down with KG in the post in pretty much guaranteed points every time. Also Rondo can drain the open 3 for some reason with some consistency.

pierce is deadly if you know how to use the shot stick, he's an amazing player going to the hoop.

never, ever, ever use shoot to take the ball to the rim, it will always do the defualt lay up/ dunk.

instead, use the thumb stick. its realative to the ball. so if paul has it in his right hand and you have the guy beat to the right, flick it that way for a righty lay up, lefty to try to go lefty, back to try to draw contact, forward to try to power past.

Yea I've actually been meaning to repost here...I started using the shot stick recently and it is a lot easier to shoot with Pierce. Can't wait for 2k9.

« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Yea I've actually been meaning to repost here...I started using the shot stick recently and it is a lot easier to shoot with Pierce. Can't wait for 2k9.

yea, keep working with the stick, i only use X (shoot button) for jumpers.

also, another tip, get like, 5-8 feet from the basket with a smaller guy in front of you with paul, start a heasitiation dribble (RT tap on 360) and then immeditly flik the shot stick to the rim side.

he has some explosive moves off chaining the 2 moves like that.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
just tp'd you crownsy, i could use some of that.

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Thanks, happy to help. i used to get destroyed down thier when i tried to use X to finsh around the rim.

once you get used to the stick being relative to what hand the ball is in, its pretty fun, since you can really get specific with what shoulder your taking the defender to.

also, do you guys use real game sliders?

if not i can post a good one when i get home, makes the game more realistic and less arcadey.

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
KG's hook shot is almost unstoppable on the game. I played a 7 year franchise and KG was gold for the first couple of years. After that, he got old and fatigued after about 3 minutes. I put him as my 6th man but he was not to happy about that. That's when KG started wearing a Bulls uniform. ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
if any are interested, this guys sliders give you a more realistic game than the default settings, slows down the rotations on 3 point shooters (which is ridiculous out of the box, guys can close out faster than you can pass to the open man) and generally makes the game more realistic (less missed bunnies, ect)

http://www.sportsgamer.com/forums/nba-2k/184845-playmakers-nba-2k8-sliders.html

« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
been a long while since i checked out this thread...

but if you're interested, over at operationsports.com there is a roster file you can pick up for the 360 where a guy named "portlandblazer" has created the playoff teams going all the way back to 1980...they are AWESOME as you can relive the epic battles of the past.  the rosters are spot-on, and this guy knows his basketball history.

you'll need to register there, and you'll also need the Xchange program which allows you to take downloads from your pc and put them onto a memory card, then onto your 360 hard drive.

pm me if you have any questions about it.

btw, my 360 just crapped out the other day, so i have to send it off to microsoft (RROD)...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
how do i download updated rosters on xbox 360? i tried looking on the xbox live marketplace but its not there. (i just bought the game recently).

Become Legendary.

« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2008, 03:22:22 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
nevermind i figured it out.

Become Legendary.