Author Topic: Kyrie Finally Getting the Respect he Deserves  (Read 6671 times)

Kyrie Finally Getting the Respect he Deserves
« on: September 20, 2018, 03:43:27 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
ESPN has ranked Kyrie Irving 20th overall among active NBA players. 

20. Kyrie Irving

Charles Krupa/AP
Boston Celtics | G

Previous rank: 25

2018-19 projected RPM wins: 6.9

As a young star, Irving charted as high as No. 8 in NBArank based on his immense potential. Now he's settled in as a top-20 player because he has averaged only 63 games played in his seven seasons -- and his defensive effort is not a lengthy visitor. But at age 26, with a full return to health and the possibility of playoff heroics ahead, Uncle Drew can rise again. -- Royce Webb

source: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24668157/nbarank-2018-19-11-20-best-players-season

It's nice to see the Celtics have a top 20 guy.  Your thoughts?

Re: Kyrie Finally Getting the Respect he Deserves
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thought Kyrie should have been higher. I think he is definitely better than Simmons, Towns, Draymond and Oladipo. I see Kyrie around top 15.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
if he was a Laker he d be about 10 th

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
How Ben Simmons / KA Towns are above KI makes no sense to me.  Simmons was really exposed in the playoffs.  I don't think he should be considered a top 20 player.  Towns as well.

Oladipo seems to be questionable as well at 15, but to me he seems to have proven more in last year's playoffs than Simmons / Towns.

I dunno, I stopped going to ESPN's web site and reading their stories a couple of years ago.  It feels like hype not quality.  I suppose any top whatever list is going to spark outrage, I mean that is the point right?

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I didn't realize they had Simmons and KAT above Kyrie... that does seem egregious.  I suspect they're taking potential growth into account.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
How Ben Simmons / KA Towns are above KI makes no sense to me.  Simmons was really exposed in the playoffs.  I don't think he should be considered a top 20 player.  Towns as well.

Oladipo seems to be questionable as well at 15, but to me he seems to have proven more in last year's playoffs than Simmons / Towns.

I dunno, I stopped going to ESPN's web site and reading their stories a couple of years ago.  It feels like hype not quality.  I suppose any top whatever list is going to spark outrage, I mean that is the point right?
Two of the past 3 seasons Irving has played 60 games or less.  Simmons played 81 last season.  Towns has played 82 games each of his 1st 3 seasons.  If Oladipo is close offensively, he gets the nod for his defense. 

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:56:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Two of the past 3 seasons Irving has played 60 games or less.  Simmons played 81 last season.  Towns has played 82 games each of his 1st 3 seasons.  If Oladipo is close offensively, he gets the nod for his defense.

Well I thought the list was who is the best player, not who missed the least number of games.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I didn't realize they had Simmons and KAT above Kyrie... that does seem egregious.  I suspect they're taking potential growth into account.
Yep.  Chances are that those two will improve more than Irving over the course of the season.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That’s actually a pretty rough ranking for a guy like Kyrie who is already so popular. As others have said, I think the injuries have hurt his ranking quite a bit. Not that I would have agreed with it, but I suspect he would have been around #10 if he had been healthy through the playoffs last season; he just has that kind of notoriety and flash.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Well I thought the list was who is the best player, not who missed the least number of games.

Esp coming from a Sixer fan that was hilarious.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Joel Embiid's 94 games in 3 seasons hasn't really impacted his rankings
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Strange you mention Kyrie's injuries but not Simmons missing the entire 2016-17 season or, in other words, playing in less than half the games he should have thus far in his career.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not sure I'd call ranking Kyrie as the 20th best player is giving him his due, but whatever, rankings like these don't mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 01:53:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Joel Embiid's 94 games in 3 seasons hasn't really impacted his rankings

Yeah that's why I found it funny that the Sixers guy reasoned Kyrie's injuries when their players have the same issues.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 07:01:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This sounds about right to me. 

IMO, Simmons is wildly overrated.  That doesn't mean he doesn't still have high potential, but you make a good point about him being exposed in the playoffs.

Towns too has become a bit overrated.  His defense is lacking.  I thought he had a higher trajectory after winning the Skills Competition a few years ago, but he doesn't seem to impact winning as much as one would expect for a top-15 player.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:26:25 AM by Surferdad »