Author Topic: Rank the Celtics' Wings  (Read 515 times)

Rank the Celtics' Wings
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
ESPN had one of their 5-on-5 debates about their own rankings and question 3 was about Celtic wings:

3. How would you rank the Celtics' wings for this season?

Spears: Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart. Tatum and Hayward have potential to be top-25 players this season. I envision Brown as a top-50 player and Smart in the top-100.

NBArank: This year's best players

Our prediction for the top players in 2018-19:
• 100-51: Young Lakers, Doncic and Fultz
• 50-31: Wall, Booker and DeRozan
• 30-21: Mitchell, Tatum, McCollum
• 5-on-5: Biggest rankings questions
• Why NBArank is tough on some stars
• 5-on-5: Predicting future top-10 superstars

MacMullan: The symbiosis of this group may determine how far Boston advances. You have two young players (Tatum and Brown) champing at the bit to shine. You have a stalwart veteran (Gordon Hayward) who must mentally overcome a horrific injury, and an alternately maddening, exhilarating and demanding 29 percent career 3-point shooter (Marcus Smart) who keeps everyone honest. Are there enough minutes for all of them? A pleasant conundrum for Brad Stevens to consider.

Arnovitz: (1) Hayward is coming off a devastating injury but still is a skilled ballhandling forward with incredible size and a sweet stroke. (2) Tatum is a more creative playmaker and more proficient shooter than even the Celtics projected he'd be this early into his career. (3) Brown is now sniffing 40 percent from 3-point range, all while he's grown into a reliable perimeter defender who is less prone to mistakes. (4) Smart's competitive spirit is infectious, but he's a terrible liability as a shooter.

Pelton: Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Smart. Hayward is the toughest to rank because we don't know what kind of impact his yearlong injury will have. The sample of players coming back from similar injuries is limited. Hayward has accomplished more than any of the others but could easily be the least effective this season if his game and shot have rusted.

Windhorst: Tatum is the most valuable Celtic, in my opinion, so he's first for me. Because Brown plays so effectively at both ends of the floor, I have him second, but I don't feel great about it. Hayward was tremendous in Utah two years ago, but I'm giving him a bit of a grace period as he returns. Smart can't shoot and it limits his overall value, but there will be nights -- and some could come in May and June -- when he'd rank No. 1.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24722213/nbarank-5-5-debate-jayson-tatum-donovan-mitchell-kristaps-porzingis
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008