Poll

If you had to choose someone, who would you pick?

Jayson Freakin' Tatum!
42 (85.7%)
Ben 'Shoot like Julius Randle,' Simmons!
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?  (Read 10291 times)

Re: Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 10:41:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Tatum is better but the way 76ers use Simmons I see Simmons always being a better stat stuffer.

So for fantasy basketball I draft Simmons ahead of Tatum. In the real NBA I take Tatum.
This is unfair. Simmons is a tremendous passer and rebounder. Much better than Tatum in those areas. Those stats aren't empty stat stuffing stats. He is also an extremely good finisher, something Tatum really needs to work on. Sure, Tatum is a better shooter but Simmons is still average in his scoring efficiency.
Playoffs, Simmons got exposed while Tatum soared. I'm sure teams will be playing Simmons a lot more differently. If Simmons doesn't develop that shot he is going to be in trouble. Tatum has no flaws other than he isn't going to have a high usage rate. Tatum is basically a bigger version of Klay Thompson in that sense. Two things to also consider is whenever Tatum was at point foward he did well passing. Tatum is also a better defender than Simmons. Tatum isn't simply a better scorer he is a better overall player.
Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference.

Uh, what? This is a joke, right? Tatum is categorically, hands-down a better scorer than Simmons. He can score at all three levels; Simmons can only score on one level. Further, Tatum has shown that he can score on all types of defense - man, zone, pressure, etc. - and can both do it on his own (iso) or via ball movement. How exactly did Simmons do when we sagged off of him in the playoffs?

This just isn't a sensible argument that can be made by a reasonable person.
Of course it's a sensible argument. Don't be ridiculous. Tatum may be able to score more ways but Simmons is elite at scoring inside and finishing where Tatum is mediocre. His elite ability inside makes up for his lack of shooting.

Gianni's isn't a good shooter but is an elite scorer. LeBron wasn't a good shooter for many early years but was a elite scorer. Wade was similar. Just because you can't shoot from outside doesn't mean you aren't a scorer.

Tatum had a TS% of 58%. Simmons was at 56%. Not much difference there despite Tatum's great three point shooting and better FT shooting. Simmons scored a half point higher per36 taking less than 1 shot more per36. These stats show that an argument that Tatum is unquestionably a better scorer than Tatum is, to be nice, bunk.

Comparing Simmons' shooting to the likes of Lebron, Giannis, and Wade is about as non-analogous as they come. While they were not known as good three point shooters, each one of them, especially Wade and Lebron, had/have proficient (if not even dangerous) midrange games, and all were at least threats from the midrange and even three point shot, too. The same simply cannot be said about Simmons, who was given the Dwight Howard treatment most of the time out on the perimeter.

http://bkref.com/tiny/YLBZ5 - one of these is not like the other.

Watching the Boston/Philly series is all you need to know about who is the better scorer. The fact that simply sagging off of Simmons 4-5 feet totally nullified him in most games of the series highlights why Tatum's versatility clearly overcomes whatever advantage Simmons has at finishing at the basket.

And this is all besides the fact that Tatum is nearly two years younger, too. Once Tatum's body matures, he'll be even more dangerous due to being more explosive and having the strength and size to finish even better at the rim, which he is already no chump at.

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 10:48:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum is better but the way 76ers use Simmons I see Simmons always being a better stat stuffer.

So for fantasy basketball I draft Simmons ahead of Tatum. In the real NBA I take Tatum.
This is unfair. Simmons is a tremendous passer and rebounder. Much better than Tatum in those areas. Those stats aren't empty stat stuffing stats. He is also an extremely good finisher, something Tatum really needs to work on. Sure, Tatum is a better shooter but Simmons is still average in his scoring efficiency.
Playoffs, Simmons got exposed while Tatum soared. I'm sure teams will be playing Simmons a lot more differently. If Simmons doesn't develop that shot he is going to be in trouble. Tatum has no flaws other than he isn't going to have a high usage rate. Tatum is basically a bigger version of Klay Thompson in that sense. Two things to also consider is whenever Tatum was at point foward he did well passing. Tatum is also a better defender than Simmons. Tatum isn't simply a better scorer he is a better overall player.
Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference.

Uh, what? This is a joke, right? Tatum is categorically, hands-down a better scorer than Simmons. He can score at all three levels; Simmons can only score on one level. Further, Tatum has shown that he can score on all types of defense - man, zone, pressure, etc. - and can both do it on his own (iso) or via ball movement. How exactly did Simmons do when we sagged off of him in the playoffs?

Of course it's a sensible argument. Don't be ridiculous. Tatum may be able to score more ways but Simmons is elite at scoring inside and finishing where Tatum is mediocre. His elite ability inside makes up for his lack of shooting.

Gianni's isn't a good shooter but is an elite scorer. LeBron wasn't a good shooter for many early years but was a elite scorer. Wade was similar. Just because you can't shoot from outside doesn't mean you aren't a scorer.

Tatum had a TS% of 58%. Simmons was at 56%. Not much difference there despite Tatum's great three point shooting and better FT shooting. Simmons scored a half point higher per36 taking less than 1 shot more per36. These stats show that an argument that Tatum is unquestionably a better scorer than Tatum is, to be nice, bunk.

Comparing Simmons' shooting to the likes of Lebron, Giannis, and Wade is about as non-analogous as they come. While they were not known as good three point shooters, each one of them, especially Wade and Lebron, had/have proficient (if not even dangerous) midrange games, and all were at least threats from the midrange and even three point shot, too. The same simply cannot be said about Simmons, who was given the Dwight Howard treatment most of the time out on the perimeter.

http://bkref.com/tiny/YLBZ5 - one of these is not like the other.

Watching the Boston/Philly series is all you need to know about who is the better scorer. The fact that simply sagging off of Simmons 4-5 feet totally nullified him in most games of the series highlights why Tatum's versatility clearly overcomes whatever advantage Simmons has at finishing at the basket.

And this is all besides the fact that Tatum is nearly two years younger, too. Once Tatum's body matures, he'll be even more dangerous due to being more explosive and having the strength and size to finish even better at the rim, which he is already no chump at.
Comparing LeBron's, Giannis' and Wade's entire careers versus Simmons' rookie year is pretty non-analogous. My guess is Simmons will improve his shot as time passes much like those players did. If he doesn't it's clear who will be the better scorer as soon as next year, Tatum.

I also refuse to make my complete decision on both players based on one series. Way too small a sample size.

And, I completely agree with your last paragraph.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:56:23 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:01 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm one of the 3 that selected Simmons.

Based on the one season I think it was pretty clear.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 11:37:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Nick, sorry but this is not your best argument.
I think it makes complete sense. What exactly are you refuting.? The stats? The fact that bad shooters can't be great scorers? That Simmons isn't elite inside which makes up for his inability to score effeciently from outside? That Tatum is better than mediocre from inside? He shot 32% from inside 3 feet. That borders on bad. What exactly is so poor about my argument? I think Tatum is a better shooter. Much better. I think Simmons is as good a scorer if not slightly better. There's a difference between being a scorer and a shooter. I think these two players exemplify that. And, as I said earlier, I think Simmons is better right now based on last year. But I think Tatum will be better in time.

You are mistaken. Of the shots Tatum attempted, 32% of them came from within 3 feet. Of those shots he took within 3 feet, he made 63% which is a good number and a great number for a rookie.

You're right that Simmons is an elite finisher around the rim but Tatum is also quite good at finishing, you're misreading basketball-reference.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think it makes complete sense. What exactly are you refuting.? The stats? The fact that bad shooters can't be great scorers? That Simmons isn't elite inside which makes up for his inability to score effeciently from outside? That Tatum is better than mediocre from inside? He shot 32% from inside 3 feet. That borders on bad. What exactly is so poor about my argument? I think Tatum is a better shooter. Much better. I think Simmons is as good a scorer if not slightly better. There's a difference between being a scorer and a shooter. I think these two players exemplify that. And, as I said earlier, I think Simmons is better right now based on last year. But I think Tatum will be better in time.

You are mistaken. Of the shots Tatum attempted, 32% of them came from within 3 feet. Of those shots he took within 3 feet, he made 63% which is a good number and a great number for a rookie.

You're right that Simmons is an elite finisher around the rim but Tatum is also quite good at finishing, you're misreading basketball-reference.
Thanks for that. TP. You're absolutely right. I read that wrong. Strangely, I knew both stat percentages we're on the same line and thought I triple checked to make sure I was reading it right. Chalk it up to a senior moment.

My point still stands though. Simmons elite inside game makes up for his poor shooting game. It is possible to be a great scorer and not be proficient at scoring from everywhere on the court.

Giannis' rookie year he was an absolutely dreadful shooter. He shot 17% from 3-10, 10.5% from 10-16, 22% from 16-23 and shot just 1.5 threes a game, though he did shoot 34.7%. The next year however, he shot only .5 threes a game at 16%.

I really see a lot of comparisons in Simmons and Giannis' games.

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 12:12:18 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Thanks for that. TP. You're absolutely right. I read that wrong. Strangely, I knew both stat percentages we're on the same line and thought I triple checked to make sure I was reading it right. Chalk it up to a senior moment.

My point still stands though. Simmons elite inside game makes up for his poor shooting game. It is possible to be a great scorer and not be proficient at scoring from everywhere on the court.

Giannis' rookie year he was an absolutely dreadful shooter. He shot 17% from 3-10, 10.5% from 10-16, 22% from 16-23 and shot just 1.5 threes a game, though he did shoot 34.7%. The next year however, he shot only .5 threes a game at 16%.

I really see a lot of comparisons in Simmons and Giannis' games.

I've done the same thing before. BBR marks those shooting %'s in a confusing way.

But I do think you're way off. Simmons only mode of scoring is attacking the basket. He's an elite finisher but he can't do anything else. It's not just that he can't shoot, he can't really post up either. Tatum has shown potential is basically every possible area of scoring. I think the conversation of who is better is close and Simmons maybe even has the edge but the question of who is the better scorer isn't close. It's Tatum.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 03:08:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Tatum would win this question even on the 6ers forum.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 03:43:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Seriously do you watch the games?
I hate when people say this. I find it terribly insulting.

No, I don't watch games. Never have. Just decided to join a basketball blog and post heavily in it for 10 years just for the hell of it.

I have a difference of opinion and am giving the reasons why. I have shown everyone complete respect. I expect same same in return.
It was a serious question because I watched plenty of games of both guys. Simmons' game is more Rondo than LeBron. He is quick and has great length and vision. He isn't a freak athlete who imposes his will like GA or LeBron. He takes advantage of mismatches at both ends of the court by how the 76ers use him and his flaws do hurt his team again like Rondo. Do Simmons skill equal a great player, like Rondo yes they do. Tatum is unworldly on offense to the point that it makes me shake my head. Think how he was leading the way in three % for a time as a true rookie. He also has much better defense when squared up on guys you see him slide his feet and bother shots often when a guy tries to iso him. Tatum makes guys look foolish when they try hard on both ends that's skill. Simmons tends to catch guys sleeping, that is so limited it only takes a opponent to back off 3ft to neutralize. Understanding these differences takes watching the game and not just looking at stats or numbers. So that is why I pose the question.

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 04:32:08 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Seriously do you watch the games?
I hate when people say this. I find it terribly insulting.

No, I don't watch games. Never have. Just decided to join a basketball blog and post heavily in it for 10 years just for the hell of it.

I have a difference of opinion and am giving the reasons why. I have shown everyone complete respect. I expect same same in return.
It was a serious question because I watched plenty of games of both guys. Simmons' game is more Rondo than LeBron. He is quick and has great length and vision. He isn't a freak athlete who imposes his will like GA or LeBron. He takes advantage of mismatches at both ends of the court by how the 76ers use him and his flaws do hurt his team again like Rondo. Do Simmons skill equal a great player, like Rondo yes they do. Tatum is unworldly on offense to the point that it makes me shake my head. Think how he was leading the way in three % for a time as a true rookie. He also has much better defense when squared up on guys you see him slide his feet and bother shots often when a guy tries to iso him. Tatum makes guys look foolish when they try hard on both ends that's skill. Simmons tends to catch guys sleeping, that is so limited it only takes a opponent to back off 3ft to neutralize. Understanding these differences takes watching the game and not just looking at stats or numbers. So that is why I pose the question.
Yeah i basically have the same question, i mean even a Sixer fan will admit that Tatum is better on offense, how can a Celtic fan that watched games didn't see that, it's so obvious out there to a point if you still can't see it i really don't know what words will convince you

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 05:01:22 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say.

So because Simmons scored half a point more, while taking nearly a shot more, he’s somehow better?

Then you point to inferior TS% as some sort of reason Simmons is better? He was the better finisher last season, you’re right. He was Shaq around the rim, and better than LeBron’s career mark (ergo, unlikely to sustain). Tatum is polished in every offensive facet, he just needs to keep improving. Simmons obviously needs drastic fundamental changes.

Playoff numbers bear some mention as well, when Tatum emerged as one of our go-to weapons while Simmons faded.

Not sure about the Giannis comp either. Guess we can say Tatum is KD.

Tatum is a better scorer, nothing you have said backs up your claim he isn’t.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's a joke to say Simmons is more Rondo than Lebron.  In year one Rondo scored 6pts on 41% shooting.  Simmons scored 16pts on 55% shooting which is incredibly efficient regardless of where he was shooting from.  James shot 41% his rookie year.  So in year one Simmons was far more efficient than both of them.  And this isn't really part of this particular debate but Simmons averaged far more assists and rebounds as a rookie than Lebron.  It's ridiculous how some posters think every player on the Celtics will keep improving and all the players on other teams are finished products at 20 years old. 

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 07:27:16 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
It's a joke to say Simmons is more Rondo than Lebron.  In year one Rondo scored 6pts on 41% shooting.  Simmons scored 16pts on 55% shooting which is incredibly efficient regardless of where he was shooting from.  James shot 41% his rookie year.  So in year one Simmons was far more efficient than both of them.  And this isn't really part of this particular debate but Simmons averaged far more assists and rebounds as a rookie than Lebron.  It's ridiculous how some posters think every player on the Celtics will keep improving and all the players on other teams are finished products at 20 years old.
When all you can do on offense is inside 5 feet you will get a high percentage and more rebounds,that just shows how limited a player he is

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You technically should be comparing Rondo and LeBron's second years. Simmons has been two years in the league.

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
When all you can do on offense is inside 5 feet you will get a high percentage and more rebounds,that just shows how limited a player he is

Had he been a Celtic the narrative would have been
although everyone knows he can only do offence inside 5 feet he still gets a high percentage which shows how good he is at penetrating and when he develops his range he will be unstoppable

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Had he been a Celtic the narrative would have been
although everyone knows he can only do offence inside 5 feet he still gets a high percentage which shows how good he is at penetrating and when he develops his range he will be unstoppable

No way. Celtics fans would never make excuses for a poor-shooting point guard based on other aspects of his game.