Poll

If you had to choose someone, who would you pick?

Jayson Freakin' Tatum!
42 (85.7%)
Ben 'Shoot like Julius Randle,' Simmons!
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?  (Read 10296 times)

Re: Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum. Younger, no injury history, and has a gamestyle that is proven to be successful. His shooting and scoring knack propels him ahead of Simmons.

Simmons is definitely overrated. People had no idea how to defend him (except CBS come playoffs) so he put up layup after layup because people were even somewhat concerned with him shooting. His game, as it stands now, does not translate to long-term success. Even Rondo is a monumentally better shooter than Simmons

p.s. Julius Randle is offended you compared him to Simmons
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tatum is better but the way 76ers use Simmons I see Simmons always being a better stat stuffer.

So for fantasy basketball I draft Simmons ahead of Tatum. In the real NBA I take Tatum.
This is unfair. Simmons is a tremendous passer and rebounder. Much better than Tatum in those areas. Those stats aren't empty stat stuffing stats. He is also an extremely good finisher, something Tatum really needs to work on. Sure, Tatum is a better shooter but Simmons is still average in his scoring efficiency.
Playoffs, Simmons got exposed while Tatum soared. I'm sure teams will be playing Simmons a lot more differently. If Simmons doesn't develop that shot he is going to be in trouble. Tatum has no flaws other than he isn't going to have a high usage rate. Tatum is basically a bigger version of Klay Thompson in that sense. Two things to also consider is whenever Tatum was at point foward he did well passing. Tatum is also a better defender than Simmons. Tatum isn't simply a better scorer he is a better overall player.
Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference. Also, Tatum's defense isn't all that much better than Simmons. It just isn't. And Tatum isn't close to being the rebounder or passer Simmons is. Never will be.

As for the playoffs, Tatum is in a better system and has better and smarter team mates than Simmons has. The Celtics knew they could pack it in and guard Simmons and Embiid tight because they knew no one else on the Sixers were good enough to win games. Sure, its a roadmap to beat the Sixers and it will force the Sixers and Simmons to adjust and develop their schemes and games but that is to be expected.

Simmons is going to get better just like Tatum will. He isn't going to just stay the same player the rest of his career. Simmons has a very similar game to that of the Greek Freak and he was a pretty awful shooter his first few years too and is still a poor outside shooter, but he is now a top 6 player in the league.
That's just false. Tatum is a better scorer any person who watched both guys play will say the better scorer is Tatum. Tatum can scorer on anyone while Simmons has been shut down in games. And most NBA "experts" would tell you Simmons is a poor defender while Tatum is underrated.

As for a better system. A system's success is dependent on the skills of the team's players. Tatum and Horford were the main cogs to the system in the playoffs allowing others to thrive off what they did. Yet Simmons' weakness hinders Embid and his strength doesn't allow a PG to be a PG on his team.

It's easily Tatum over Simmons
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:58:38 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Tatum is better but the way 76ers use Simmons I see Simmons always being a better stat stuffer.

So for fantasy basketball I draft Simmons ahead of Tatum. In the real NBA I take Tatum.
This is unfair. Simmons is a tremendous passer and rebounder. Much better than Tatum in those areas. Those stats aren't empty stat stuffing stats. He is also an extremely good finisher, something Tatum really needs to work on. Sure, Tatum is a better shooter but Simmons is still average in his scoring efficiency.
Playoffs, Simmons got exposed while Tatum soared. I'm sure teams will be playing Simmons a lot more differently. If Simmons doesn't develop that shot he is going to be in trouble. Tatum has no flaws other than he isn't going to have a high usage rate. Tatum is basically a bigger version of Klay Thompson in that sense. Two things to also consider is whenever Tatum was at point foward he did well passing. Tatum is also a better defender than Simmons. Tatum isn't simply a better scorer he is a better overall player.
Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference. Also, Tatum's defense isn't all that much better than Simmons. It just isn't. And Tatum isn't close to being the rebounder or passer Simmons is. Never will be.

As for the playoffs, Tatum is in a better system and has better and smarter team mates than Simmons has. The Celtics knew they could pack it in and guard Simmons and Embiid tight because they knew no one else on the Sixers were good enough to win games. Sure, its a roadmap to beat the Sixers and it will force the Sixers and Simmons to adjust and develop their schemes and games but that is to be expected.

Simmons is going to get better just like Tatum will. He isn't going to just stay the same player the rest of his career. Simmons has a very similar game to that of the Greek Freak and he was a pretty awful shooter his first few years too and is still a poor outside shooter, but he is now a top 6 player in the league.
That's just false. Tatum is a better scorer any person who watched both guys play will say the better scorer is Tatum. Tatum can scorer on anyone while Simmons has been shut down in games. And most NBA "experts" would tell you Simmons is a poor defender while Tatum is underrated.

As for a better system. A system's success is dependent on the skills of the team's players. Tatum and Horford were the main cogs to the system in the playoffs allowing others to thrive off what they did. Yet Simmons' weakness hinders Embid and his strength doesn't allow a PG to be a PG on his team.

You need to find some new NBA "experts".  Simmons is a rather good defender.  He had a 101.4 defensive rating. 

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Right now, it’s very close but I think I’d take Tatum.  I think Simmons has more upside though.  Tatum is a good bet to be a better version of Carmelo Anthony.  But if Simmons learns to shoot he will be similar to Lebron James, never mind Draymond Green like the OP mentioned.

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference.

Uh, what? This is a joke, right? Tatum is categorically, hands-down a better scorer than Simmons. He can score at all three levels; Simmons can only score on one level. Further, Tatum has shown that he can score on all types of defense - man, zone, pressure, etc. - and can both do it on his own (iso) or via ball movement. How exactly did Simmons do when we sagged off of him in the playoffs?

This just isn't a sensible argument that can be made by a reasonable person.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference.

Uh, what? This is a joke, right? Tatum is categorically, hands-down a better scorer than Simmons. He can score at all three levels; Simmons can only score on one level. Further, Tatum has shown that he can score on all types of defense - man, zone, pressure, etc. - and can both do it on his own (iso) or via ball movement. How exactly did Simmons do when we sagged off of him in the playoffs?

Of course it's a sensible argument. Don't be ridiculous. Tatum may be able to score more ways but Simmons is elite at scoring inside and finishing where Tatum is mediocre. His elite ability inside makes up for his lack of shooting.

Gianni's isn't a good shooter but is an elite scorer. LeBron wasn't a good shooter for many early years but was a elite scorer. Wade was similar. Just because you can't shoot from outside doesn't mean you aren't a scorer.

Tatum had a TS% of 58%. Simmons was at 56%. Not much difference there despite Tatum's great three point shooting and better FT shooting. Simmons scored a half point higher per36 taking less than 1 shot more per36. These stats show that an argument that Tatum is unquestionably a better scorer than Tatum is, to be nice, bunk.

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Of course it's a sensible argument. Don't be ridiculous. Tatum may be able to score more ways but Simmons is elite at scoring inside and finishing where Tatum is mediocre. His elite ability inside makes up for his lack of shooting.

Gianni's isn't a good shooter but is an elite scorer. LeBron wasn't a good shooter for many early years but was a elite scorer. Wade was similar. Just because you can't shoot from outside doesn't mean you aren't a scorer.

Tatum had a TS% of 58%. Simmons was at 56%. Not much difference there despite Tatum's great three point shooting and better FT shooting. Simmons scored a half point higher per36 taking less than 1 shot more per36. These stats show that an argument that Tatum is unquestionably a better scorer than Tatum is, to be nice, bunk.
Nick, sorry but this is not your best argument.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think it makes complete sense. What exactly are you refuting.? The stats? The fact that bad shooters can't be great scorers? That Simmons isn't elite inside which makes up for his inability to score effeciently from outside? That Tatum is better than mediocre from inside? He shot 32% from inside 3 feet. That borders on bad. What exactly is so poor about my argument? I think Tatum is a better shooter. Much better. I think Simmons is as good a scorer if not slightly better. There's a difference between being a scorer and a shooter. I think these two players exemplify that. And, as I said earlier, I think Simmons is better right now based on last year. But I think Tatum will be better in time.

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

You need to find some new NBA "experts".  Simmons is a rather good defender.  He had a 101.4 defensive rating.
Ah no they put him on the opposing teams worst offensive player to hide him. Sometimes they move him to the Center on defense just to keep him away from ball handlers. He will play the point on offense then grab the worst guy. That's his thing

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I think it makes complete sense. What exactly are you refuting.? The stats? The fact that bad shooters can't be great scorers? That Simmons isn't elite inside which makes up for his inability to score effeciently from outside? That Tatum is better than mediocre from inside? He shot 32% from inside 3 feet. That borders on bad. What exactly is so poor about my argument? I think Tatum is a better shooter. Much better. I think Simmons is as good a scorer if not slightly better. There's a difference between being a scorer and a shooter. I think these two players exemplify that. And, as I said earlier, I think Simmons is better right now based on last year. But I think Tatum will be better in time.
Worse TS numbers means he isn't better. And considering the doubles Embid gets opens up Simmons to get a few bunnies every game, that pads the inside fg% compared to Tatum who mostly is slashing from the 3pt line trying to finish while getting hacked.

Seriously do you watch the games?

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Those guys aren't comparable to Ben Simmons in terms of shooting though. At all. Those guys are willing to take outside shots, and are actually a threat to hit them.

Simmons, on the other hand, has a worse 3PT% than Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. Simmons scores a bit more than DJ, is slightly more efficient from the line, but way less efficient from the field.
He's a worse FT shooter than Dwight, worse from the field, and hasn't come close to the points Dwight put up in his prime.
You wouldn't make the argument that Dwight was a better scorer than TD when they were playing against each other during the late 2000's, would you? Despite D12 shooting better from the field than TD almost ever did, TD was the better scorer, no?

Those are the guys who Simmons is comparable to on offence way more than LeBron or Giannis. Giannis and LeBron have both attempted over 100 three's multiple times, with LeBron attempting over 350 numerous times. Simmons shot 11 threes and hit 0
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Seriously do you watch the games?
I hate when people say this. I find it terribly insulting.

No, I don't watch games. Never have. Just decided to join a basketball blog and post heavily in it for 10 years just for the hell of it.

I have a difference of opinion and am giving the reasons why. I have shown everyone complete respect. I expect same same in return.

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Simmons 1 pt game was proof he is overrated especially as a scorer

I agree with nick. I think Simmons is a lot of hype

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Simmons 1 pt game was proof he is overrated especially as a scorer

I agree with nick. I think Simmons is a lot of hype
So does Tatum's 6 games of 5 points or less prove he isn't a great scorer? One game is never proof of anything for any player. Players have bad games and series. It happens. Steph Curry didn't exactly look like an MVP in two different NBA Finals. He was very un-Curry like. It happens.

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out but in last years playoffs it was Tatum and it wasn't close.

Playoff numbers for both

16.3 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.8 bpg, 4.4 tpg, 3.4 fpg, 54.1 TS%, 36.9 mpg
18.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.5 bpg, 2.2 tpg, 2.6 fpg, 57.8 TS%, 35.9 mpg

Not sure what stats you were looking at, but those numbers seem fairly close as the better shooter takes care of the ball better, but is basically worse every where else.

I'm seeing Simmons per game vs Celtics in the playoffs:  14pts  8 rbs 6 ast no 3pt % 69% FT 43% FG

Tatum per game vs Sixer's in playoffs: 23pts 3 ast 3 rbs 31% 3pt 81% Ft 52% FG