Poll

If you had to choose someone, who would you pick?

Jayson Freakin' Tatum!
42 (85.7%)
Ben 'Shoot like Julius Randle,' Simmons!
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?  (Read 10346 times)

Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It's been an tumultuous season... Somewhere, along the horizon, 76ers fans crowd alongside each other like a pack of murderous crows. Seeking solace, they warm themselves with whispers of, "rookie of the year, ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, ROOKIEE OF THE YEAR!!" As if to prove the point that Simmons is better than Tatum...

So who do you choose?

Personally? I like Tatum's personality, and his silent but killer assassin-like ego. I loved his 1 on 1 battle against Embiid in the Hanlen's workout video, where he proclaimed, "4-1 is all I know." And the stare down on LeBron after he famously dunked and chest bumped him.

But I also love how dangerous Simmons can be in the offense. If he could ever improve his shooting form, (which seems like Julius Randle's sadly...) then he would be the perfect fit for Steven's system. His unbelievable mobility and height along with his precise court vision seems like the modern day Draymond Green.

I would choose Tatum still, but I would trade anyone not named Kyrie or Tatum for Simmons.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Who is better... Tatum or Simmons?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I don't mean to sound like a complete homer, but there isn't anyone on the Sixers that I would trade for Tatum (straight up, forget salaries). I'm sorry, I'm just not a believer in Simmons and Embiid doesn't feel like he'll be around for many more years. I think the same goes for Brown. I might give up Horford for Embiid because I think their timeline is about the same but that's in an isolation environment... in reality Horford is better for the Celtics than Embiid.

Quote from: Monkhouse
"But I also love how dangerous Simmons can be in the offense. If he could ever improve his shooting form, (which seems like Julius Randle's sadly...) then he would be the perfect fit for Steven's system."
It's just not that easy. People can become better shooters over time, but he's starting with a broken shot. He has to learn a brand new shooting form and then master that to being "NBA ready." I'd say minimum 5 years if he works his ass completely off.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:52:57 PM by Erik »

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out but in last years playoffs it was Tatum and it wasn't close.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't mean to sound like a complete homer, but there isn't anyone on the Sixers that I would trade for Tatum (straight up, forget salaries). I'm sorry, I'm just not a believer in Simmons and Embiid doesn't feel like he'll be around for many more years.

Oh, yeah definitely I agree, me neither. But I was just asking who's game seems more appealing or could have more impact. That being said, I'm not giving up on Simmons, although I sort of dislike his ego in the off-season. Brown/Tatum were working out with the greats, and Simmons was in Paris, Dubai, and Miami taking pics for his Instagram account.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Right now it’s Simmons for me, but it ultimately depends on if he develops a jump shot. The Celtics showed how important it is that Simmons develops that part of his game. If he can’t do it, I think Tatum overtakes him pretty quickly.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out but in last years playoffs it was Tatum and it wasn't close.

Playoff numbers for both

16.3 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.8 bpg, 4.4 tpg, 3.4 fpg, 54.1 TS%, 36.9 mpg
18.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.5 bpg, 2.2 tpg, 2.6 fpg, 57.8 TS%, 35.9 mpg

Not sure what stats you were looking at, but those numbers seem fairly close as the better shooter takes care of the ball better, but is basically worse every where else. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Right now it’s Simmons for me, but it ultimately depends on if he develops a jump shot. The Celtics showed how important it is that Simmons develops that part of his game. If he can’t do it, I think Tatum overtakes him pretty quickly.
Yeah, as of this minute I think Simmons is the better player, but I think Tatum has higher upside and will eventually become the better player, maybe as soon as next year.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 03:55:20 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think Tatum is the better overall player.   Simmons may be more athletic but Tatum is more cerebral and that makes up fo anything he lacks in athleticism.  Tatum has a huge advantage in shooting they aren’t even on the same planet.  Now if Simmons learns how to shoot then he might have an edge. 

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think Simmons is a better player now and has the higher ceiling.  But I think Tatum is more likely to reach his ceiling.  Tatum’s ultimate upside is dependent upon improving skills that he has already demonstrated to some degree.  Meanwhile, Simmons has ‘best player in the NBA’ upside that is locked behind an absent jumpshot.

Simmons is a worse shooter than early-career Rondo.  Think about that.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tatum is better but the way 76ers use Simmons I see Simmons always being a better stat stuffer.

So for fantasy basketball I draft Simmons ahead of Tatum. In the real NBA I take Tatum.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Tatum is better but the way 76ers use Simmons I see Simmons always being a better stat stuffer.

So for fantasy basketball I draft Simmons ahead of Tatum. In the real NBA I take Tatum.
This is unfair. Simmons is a tremendous passer and rebounder. Much better than Tatum in those areas. Those stats aren't empty stat stuffing stats. He is also an extremely good finisher, something Tatum really needs to work on. Sure, Tatum is a better shooter but Simmons is still average in his scoring efficiency.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

This is unfair. Simmons is a tremendous passer and rebounder. Much better than Tatum in those areas. Those stats aren't empty stat stuffing stats. He is also an extremely good finisher, something Tatum really needs to work on. Sure, Tatum is a better shooter but Simmons is still average in his scoring efficiency.
I suggest you go watch Playoffs versus Sixers videos if you haven't

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Playoffs, Simmons got exposed while Tatum soared. I'm sure teams will be playing Simmons a lot more differently. If Simmons doesn't develop that shot he is going to be in trouble. Tatum has no flaws other than he isn't going to have a high usage rate. Tatum is basically a bigger version of Klay Thompson in that sense. Two things to also consider is whenever Tatum was at point foward he did well passing. Tatum is also a better defender than Simmons. Tatum isn't simply a better scorer he is a better overall player.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Playoffs, Simmons got exposed while Tatum soared. I'm sure teams will be playing Simmons a lot more differently. If Simmons doesn't develop that shot he is going to be in trouble. Tatum has no flaws other than he isn't going to have a high usage rate. Tatum is basically a bigger version of Klay Thompson in that sense. Two things to also consider is whenever Tatum was at point foward he did well passing. Tatum is also a better defender than Simmons. Tatum isn't simply a better scorer he is a better overall player.
Tatum is not a better scorer than Simmons. He is a better shooter. Big difference. Also, Tatum's defense isn't all that much better than Simmons. It just isn't. And Tatum isn't close to being the rebounder or passer Simmons is. Never will be.

As for the playoffs, Tatum is in a better system and has better and smarter team mates than Simmons has. The Celtics knew they could pack it in and guard Simmons and Embiid tight because they knew no one else on the Sixers were good enough to win games. Sure, its a roadmap to beat the Sixers and it will force the Sixers and Simmons to adjust and develop their schemes and games but that is to be expected.

Simmons is going to get better just like Tatum will. He isn't going to just stay the same player the rest of his career. Simmons has a very similar game to that of the Greek Freak and he was a pretty awful shooter his first few years too and is still a poor outside shooter, but he is now a top 6 player in the league.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:56:26 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If my life depended on a shot I ain't taking Simmons.