Author Topic: Which player that was your binkie/most hyped ended up being a huge bust?  (Read 4805 times)

Re: Which player that was your binkie/most hyped ended up being a huge bust?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Too many to name, though let's try.

I cringe looking back on the 2001 NBA Draft, thought Eddy Curry was going to be the next Shaq, thought DeSagana Diop was going to be a better version of Mutombo, thought Kedrick Brown was going to be what Jaylen Brown is now and projects to be.

Thought  Danny Fortson would be the next Barkley (even before he was on the C's).

Thought Ron Mercer would be a perennial 20+ppg performer  (before he was on the C's) and thought for sure have his number hanging in the rafters.

Thought Lamar Odom would be a better version of a prime Grant Hill.

Thought Steve Francis would have a long stretch where he'd play like present day James Harden.

Liked a lot of PGs.  Liked Speedy Claxton, Marcus Banks.  Bought into the NYC PG hype for guys like Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, God Shammgod, Sebastian Telfair.  Thought Marcus Williams would have a Rondo-like career.  Kenny Brunner (Bad Santa on the And1 tour) played a year at Georgetown where he was leading the Big East in apg then abruptly left school to transfer to Fresno State where he was then kicked off the team for using a samurai sword to rob a man, thought he'd have a Terrell Brandon-like career.  Jamaal Tinsley was probably the only guy I liked who actually had a decent NBA career.

Thought Mike Sweetney would have a Zach Randolph-like career.

Thought Jay Williams would have Chris Paul level of success (don't be fooled, it wasn't the motorcycle injury that did him in, he was terrible in the NBA before that).

Thought Dajuan Wagner would be like a  prime Gilbert Arenas.

Thought Shawn Respert would be a shorter Ray Allen (turns out he was battling stomach cancer throughout his career though, so I'll give myself a pass here).

Thought Ronnie Brewer would break out like Gerald Wallace did.

Thought Courtney Lee would turn into a fringe All-Star, a lesser version of Jimmy Butler, a better version of Avery Bradley. Thought Bill Walker could actually be like Jimmy Butler or Ron Artest. (This was before both were Celtics).

Thought Fab Melo could be the next Rudy Gobert (this was before he was a Celtic).

Thought Mustafa Shakur looked like an All-Star caliber PG (before college).

Various players I liked that barely sniffed the NBA or never even made it, that I thought would have long NBA careers as role players: Ed Cota, Julius Hodge, Laron Profit, Alvin Jones, Lavor Postell, Danya Abrams, Dion Glover, Patrick Ewing, Jr.
Dude, you had a lot of binkies!!!

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I homerifically supported RJ Huntah, but in my defense it was in part because I could yell "AhhhJay Huntahhhh!!!" and he looked like Prince.  I remember being properly brought back to reality though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Ha! Binkies probably not the right term here.  I wasn't in love with these guys more than others, I just watched a lot of basketball and thought these guys are going to be like this at the next level.

This is probably why I was never hired as a scout.  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I cringe looking back on the 2001 NBA Draft, thought Eddy Curry was going to be the next Shaq, thought DeSagana Diop was going to be a better version of Mutombo, thought Kedrick Brown was going to be what Jaylen Brown is now and projects to be.

Thought  Danny Fortson would be the next Barkley (even before he was on the C's).

Thought Ron Mercer would be a perennial 20+ppg performer  (before he was on the C's) and thought for sure have his number hanging in the rafters.

Thought Steve Francis would have a long stretch where he'd play like present day James Harden.

Liked a lot of PGs.  Liked Speedy Claxton, Marcus Banks.  Bought into the NYC PG hype for guys like Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, God Shammgod, Sebastian Telfair.  Thought Marcus Williams would have a Rondo-like career.  Kenny Brunner (Bad Santa on the And1 tour) played a year at Georgetown where he was leading the Big East in apg then abruptly left school to transfer to Fresno State where he was then kicked off the team for using a samurai sword to rob a man, thought he'd have a Terrell Brandon-like career.  Jamaal Tinsley was probably the only guy I liked who actually had a decent NBA career.  Thought Mustafa Shakur looked like an All-Star caliber PG (before college).

Thought Jay Williams would have Chris Paul level of success (don't be fooled, it wasn't the motorcycle injury that did him in, he was terrible in the NBA before that).

Thought Shawn Respert would be a shorter Ray Allen (turns out he was battling stomach cancer throughout his career though, so I'll give myself a pass here).

Thought Courtney Lee would turn into a fringe All-Star, a lesser version of Jimmy Butler, a better version of Avery Bradley. Thought Bill Walker could actually be like Jimmy Butler or Ron Artest. (This was before both were Celtics).

Thought Fab Melo could be the next Rudy Gobert (this was before he was a Celtic).

Various players I liked that barely sniffed the NBA or never even made it, that I thought would have long NBA careers as role players: Ed Cota, Julius Hodge, Laron Profit, Alvin Jones, Lavor Postell, Danya Abrams, Dion Glover, Patrick Ewing, Jr.

Forgot about Dajuan Wagner. I can only imagine how much hype he would have gotten in the YouTube mixtape era.

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I thought Evan Turner and Ben McLemore would be bonafide all stars by now..

Terrence Jones, Stanley Johnson, Shabazz Muhammed, Jahlil Okafor are a few others in recent memory that come to mind.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Liked a lot of PGs.  Liked Speedy Claxton, Marcus Banks.  Bought into the NYC PG hype for guys like Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, God Shammgod, Sebastian Telfair.  Thought Marcus Williams would have a Rondo-like career.  Kenny Brunner (Bad Santa on the And1 tour) played a year at Georgetown where he was leading the Big East in apg then abruptly left school to transfer to Fresno State where he was then kicked off the team for using a samurai sword to rob a man, thought he'd have a Terrell Brandon-like career.  Jamaal Tinsley was probably the only guy I liked who actually had a decent NBA career.

Sounds like a glass 9/10ths full kinda guy!
Yup

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Sounds like a glass 9/10ths full kinda guy!

You ever see a college player that Dick Vitale didn't like?  That's me apparently.  Those guys were all my diaper dandies and PTPers!  It's awesome, baby!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Tyus Edney
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Montross

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Tyrus Thomas and Ron Mercer are two that come to mind as players i thought would be great but ended up doing about nothing.

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Man didn't Lamar Odom (pronounced O-dom not Oh-dumb) fall off a cliff basketball wise.

Had high hopes Fab Melo and Jared Sullinger could make a really deadly front court.

Still in the Luol Deng fan club, have a little bit of hope for WCS, and Nerlens Noel.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tyrus Thomas and Ron Mercer are two that come to mind as players i thought would be great but ended up doing about nothing.

Yes, Tyrus Thomas for me.  I must have written dozens of posts saying he was going to be the next great thing, based on how he dominated defensively at LSU.

I'm sure there were some others, although can't recall at the moment.

Ah, Dante Exum. I thought he was going to be really good as well. Not sure how much injuries derailed his game, but he has had a disappointing career thus far.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:26:11 PM by footey »

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
A couple of Cs binkies for me were Marcus Banks and Brandon Hunter. I just couldn't accept that 7 steal and 16 rebound games weren't a sign of greatness! Well, for a while.

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
James Young
Gerald Green- he turned it around and became a useful player but I thought he was gonna be TMac

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Marcus Smart. He's obviously a serviceable player but I really thought he was going to be Wade-like.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler