Author Topic: Which player that was your binkie/most hyped ended up being a huge bust?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I honestly thought for sure Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker would be sure-fire Allstars by the 3rd or 4th year. Embiid has exceeded expectations, but I'm frankly concerned about the longevity of his knees/health.

D' Angelo Russell was also another player I believed would've exploded after that ice in my veins game, but then he had the snitching on teammates debacle, and terrible % FG percentage...

I also believed Sullinger was either the next Z.BO or Kevin Love 2.0.

Very disappointed in how majority of these players were so over hyped and given so much leeway as generational talents, but plenty of them possess similar negative traits, like being lazy/selfish.

Wiggins still has a few years, since he's only 23, same for Parker. But I'm not convinced those two can become anything more than fringe All-stars.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Which player that was your binkie/most hyped ended up being a huge bust?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Injuries, like Parker's are always tough to account for.  Sullinger was a pick in the 20's, so I think it is hard to count him as a bust (though he certainly should have been better). 

I thought Noel was going to be very good, especially after that first season where he was a monster defensively.  And the inverse of him was Okafor.  I thought his pure scoring was going to be awesome.  Those two guys both have questionable work ethics though and that is very difficult to gauge, especially for fans that don't get to talk with the players and those around them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Way back in the day I thought Stromile Swift was gonna be an excellent player because he was super athletic and I sort of assumed the skill would develop under NBA coaching. Not so much. Okafor also looked like a stud in college. Thought Greg Monroe was gonna be an All-Star caliber guy, and he kinda looked to be on that trajectory for a few years but then plateaued and dropped off as the game left him behind.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Terry Furlow, but he was killed in a traffic accident.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I have a stack of graded Jonathan Bender rookie cards.  I thought he was going to be pretty awesome.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Anthony Randolph is a big one for me.

Way back in the day I thought Stromile Swift was gonna be an excellent player because he was super athletic and I sort of assumed the skill would develop under NBA coaching. Not so much.

Oh yeah, Stromile. I was a big fan of him. Even after stardom was out of the question, I kept expecting him to put it together and become a quality starting PF. Never happened. I thought Houston got a steal when they signed Swift to play alongside Yao.

I have a stack of graded Jonathan Bender rookie cards.  I thought he was going to be pretty awesome.

Loved Bender. So much talent. Durant before Durant (at least that was the hope!).

That Indiana team was awesome. Al Harrington and Bender. Then Jermaine O'Neal came along. All that young athletic talent. Plus Tinsley at PG. Then they added Ron Mercer and Ron Artest.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Corey Brewer. 

I mean, he wasn't a huge bust, but I really thought he was gonna be a bonafide stud.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Duplicate post
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:06:57 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Not a major bust, but i'd say for me Gerald Green.
When the Celtics drafted him the hype was unreal. First time I bought season tickets thinking the Green/Big Al/Pierce (and later Rondo) combo was the next big 3. He stunk, and that team was horrific.. but at least he won the dunk contest, and more importantly led to the actual next Big 3!

My favorite player growing up was Bobby Hurley, Duke stud, not so much in the NBA. He did get into that awful car accident that contributed to ending his career early but was doing very little before it. Granted he was on the Kings where many promising careers die early.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lots of them.

Acie Earl.  Gerald Green.  Brandan Wright.  Corey Brewer.  Jared Sullinger.  Perry Jones III.  Harry Giles (TBD).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
Kedrick Brown for me.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I thought Jerome Moiso and Kedrick Brown were going to be awesome.  I used to fall for the tools and athleticism trap all the time, especially for young Celtics players.  I’m much more level headed nowadays since I’ve been dissapointed so many times.  It’s the reason I won’t get too excited about, say, the #27 pick in the draft.  #27 means that the other teams think there are 26 better/safer players to select. 

I used to think Justin Reed, Orien Green, and Gabe Pruit would have 12 year NBA careers.  I thought Brandon Hunter would be awesome. I thought Gerald Green would be a perennial allstar.   I thought Stojko Vrankovic and Jiri Welch would be very good players.  Nowadays I pretty much assume late 1st rounders and 2nd rounders won’t amount to much of anything.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta be Nerlens Noel for me. He was a neighbor and childhood friend of my son. Was just so excited for him after watching him play for Everett High his freshman year. Followed him at Tilton Academy, then Kentucky. I thought he was going to be a defensive monster in this league.

Sadly, in high school he hooked up with a bunch of loser knuckleheads in the city and they followed him all the way to the pros. Their influence on him is evident. After that first year, nothing. Just a bag full of nothing.

He's only 23-24 years old so hopefully he's learned his lesson after losing tens of millions of dollars and rededicates himself to his craft. We will see.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:16:29 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I thought Ron Mercer was going to be the man.  Turns out, the man was drafted a year later.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Too many to name, though let's try.

I cringe looking back on the 2001 NBA Draft, thought Eddy Curry was going to be the next Shaq, thought DeSagana Diop was going to be a better version of Mutombo, thought Kedrick Brown was going to be what Jaylen Brown is now and projects to be.

Thought  Danny Fortson would be the next Barkley (even before he was on the C's).

Thought Ron Mercer would be a perennial 20+ppg performer  (before he was on the C's) and thought for sure have his number hanging in the rafters.

Thought Lamar Odom would be a better version of a prime Grant Hill.

Thought Steve Francis would have a long stretch where he'd play like present day James Harden.

Liked a lot of PGs.  Liked Speedy Claxton, Marcus Banks.  Bought into the NYC PG hype for guys like Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, God Shammgod, Sebastian Telfair.  Thought Marcus Williams would have a Rondo-like career.  Kenny Brunner (Bad Santa on the And1 tour) played a year at Georgetown where he was leading the Big East in apg then abruptly left school to transfer to Fresno State where he was then kicked off the team for using a samurai sword to rob a man, thought he'd have a Terrell Brandon-like career.  Jamaal Tinsley was probably the only guy I liked who actually had a decent NBA career.  Thought Mustafa Shakur looked like an All-Star caliber PG (before college).

Thought Mike Sweetney would have a Zach Randolph-like career.

Thought Jay Williams would have Chris Paul level of success (don't be fooled, it wasn't the motorcycle injury that did him in, he was terrible in the NBA before that).

Thought Dajuan Wagner would be like a  prime Gilbert Arenas.

Thought Shawn Respert would be a shorter Ray Allen (turns out he was battling stomach cancer throughout his career though, so I'll give myself a pass here).

Thought Ronnie Brewer would break out like Gerald Wallace did.

Thought Courtney Lee would turn into a fringe All-Star, a lesser version of Jimmy Butler, a better version of Avery Bradley. Thought Bill Walker could actually be like Jimmy Butler or Ron Artest. (This was before both were Celtics).

Thought Fab Melo could be the next Rudy Gobert (this was before he was a Celtic).

Various players I liked that barely sniffed the NBA or never even made it, that I thought would have long NBA careers as role players: Ed Cota, Julius Hodge, Laron Profit, Alvin Jones, Lavor Postell, Danya Abrams, Dion Glover, Patrick Ewing, Jr.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:35:04 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class