Poll

If Irving does not indicate to sign an extension by Dec (poll)

Keep him regardless to focus on winning the title. Worry about offseason later
39 (84.8%)
Trade him for best haul possible by the deadline. Team has enough to win
7 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: If Irving does not show interest to sign an extension by Dec (poll)  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lets say it is option 2

1) Would you trade Irving in a package to the Knicks for Frank Ntilikina, Tim Hardaway jr.,  and  future 1st

2) Would you trade Irving in a package to the Wolves for Andrew Wiggins + future 1st

3) Would you trade Irving to Spurs for DeJounte Murray, Pau Gasol, 2 future 1sts

3) Would you trade Irving to Nuggets for Jamal Murray and Will Barton or Garry Harris + 1st

Re: If Irving does not show interest to sign an extension by Dec (poll)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
keep him.  win the title.  team has far better chance to win title with him than without him.  titles are the goal here, not the constant accrual of young players that we hope will one day become good, never mind as good as Kyrie.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Yeah I'd say keep him and win the title, and he can walk after.

I'd love to stick it in the Cavs' face that we'd won that trade by winning the title with the contributing factor of Kyrie. Good point-guards can be easily found in drafts/summer. What really wins chips is 3-point shooting, defense, and star-caliber SFs these days.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Keep him.

If he does decide to leave (and eventually end up in NY as is heavily rumored) then NY would be foolish to give up ANYTHING for him.

Kyrie is enough of an independent man to not even be enthralled with Celtics Lore and the lure of winning multiple championships here in BOS. Today's young players are less concerned with Banners than forging their OWN paths.

Nothing wrong with that - at all.

As much as it would bother me to see Kyrie leave all I want for him to do while in BOS is be THE BEST HE CAN POSSIBLY be.

Be a great teammate - especially to the youngsters Jaylen and Jason. Teach them how to prepare and be professional.

Trust his teammates - especially Hayward, Big Al and Smart. This team has enough TALENT (when healthy) to let either Jaylen, Jason, or Hayward carry us offensively at ANY time.

Dig in DEFENSIVELY. His offensive game is OFF THE CHARTS. He has more handles than a Truckers Convention. But dig in DEFENSIVELY this season.

I think if he does these things we will be playing deep into June of 2019 and win it all. As good as GSW or HOU is they have not faced a defensive team like BOS - especially in a seven game series.

If he does these things he will be a finalist for MVP. If he wins a banner here next year he will DEFINITELY sweeten his legacy, make Coach Stevens and Danny Ainge COY and Exec of Year and we will STILL have enough talent IF he leaves to compete year and for next several years.

And I will NOT be mad at him if he does these things and leaves. I will wish Little Mountain the best.

But win one in BOS on the way out. Go out on TOP.

And to be honest the pictures I see of him in a Knicks uniform makes him look fat. Just my two cents. Kyrie looks sleaker in Celtics Green.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Keep him.

If he does decide to leave (and eventually end up in NY as is heavily rumored) then NY would be foolish to give up ANYTHING for him.

Kyrie is enough of an independent man to not even be enthralled with Celtics Lore and the lure of winning multiple championships here in BOS. Today's young players are less concerned with Banners than forging their OWN paths.

As much as it would bother me to see Kyrie leave all I want for him to do while in BOS is be THE BEST HE CAN POSSIBLY be.

Be a great teammate - especially to the youngsters Jaylen and Jason. Teach them how to prepare and be professional.

Trust his teammates - especially Hayward, Big Al and Smart. This team has enough TALENT (when healthy) to let either Jaylen, Jason, or Hayward carry us offensively at ANY time.

Dig in DEFENSIVELY. His offensive game is OFF THE CHARTS. He has more handles than a Truckers Convention. But dig in DEFENSIVELY this season.

I think if he does these things we will be playing deep into June of 2019 and win it all. As good as GSW or HOU is they have not faced a defensive team like BOS - especially in a seven game series.

If he does these things he will be a finalist for MVP. If he wins a banner here next year he will DEFINITELY sweeten his legacy, make Coach Stevens and Danny Ainge COY and Exec of Year and we will STILL have enough talent IF he leaves to compete year and for next several years.

And I will NOT be mad at him if he does these things and leaves. I will wish Little Mountain the best.

And to be honest the pictures I see of him in a Knicks uniform makes him look fat. Just my two cents. Kyrie looks sleaker in Celtics Green.

some good points.  But I don't remember the last time Ainge has let a marquee player walk without getting something back in compensation.   Last player maybe was Tony Allen? but he was considered a role player

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Why would Kyrie sign an extension in December? He can negotiate a much higher salary if he lets this contract expire and negotiates a new one. The fact he’s unwilling to sin an extension doesn’t tell us whether he’s willing to stay.   

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/06/02/kyrie-irving-contract-situation

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think if Ainge was really worried about this he'd have done something this summer.

I also think this team has a shot at a championship and you don't throw chances like that away.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Why would Kyrie sign an extension in December? He can negotiate a much higher salary if he lets this contract expire and negotiates a new one. The fact he’s unwilling to sin an extension doesn’t tell us whether he’s willing to stay.   

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/06/02/kyrie-irving-contract-situation

I can only think of 2 reasons: 1) Unless he's really worried about suffering a catastrophic injury in 2019; or 2) If he wanted to make the fans happy by indicating he's staying at the cost of money for himself. It would make zero financial sense to commit to anything in December or prior to this contract ending.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

And that’s part of the problem here, with the CBA.

Why can’t they do the extension before July 1? There’s no logical reason he can’t opt out and renegotiate for his max now. If they want to do their best to keep stars with their drafted teams, allow them to resign players during the season.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Though if Boston is serious about getting Anthony Davis, got to give Kyrie the extension sooner (or include him in a 3-way trade) or the Lakers will swipe Davis away from us. So yes, Kyrie is an important factor if we're trying to get Anthony Davis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Exactly.  It makes no sense for him to negotiate a new contract until after the season.  Ainge has said this as well. 

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Keep him.

some good points.  But I don't remember the last time Ainge has let a marquee player walk without getting something back in compensation.   Last player maybe was Tony Allen? but he was considered a role player

Ray Allen

Your list seems a little off, namely overrating the Knicks package, while underating the Nuggets one. Murray is a good player/excellent prospect on a rookie deal. Harris is another really good young player. That's a really good return. If you can add a 3rd team to send Harris, along with a pick and Morris, to upgrade the backup swing forward spot, then that is awfully tempting. I would even go so far to say that considering Murray is locked in contract wise, the Pelicans would probably have a lot more interest in him than an expiring Kyrie.

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Kyrie will resign after the season..

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Show interest and or work on a framework for next deal... nothing wrong with planning

But what if Irving and agent totally shun this?

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If he says he is not resigning then I'd trade him.