Author Topic: Hayward is 100% back. (been playing full court full contact 5 on 5 for 2 weeks)  (Read 4478 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Gordon Hayward is back to playing full-court, full-contact 5-on-5 basketball.

“I’m just excited to be out there,” Hayward told reporters Thursday. “It’s so much fun to be able to play again and play with my teammates."

Hayward said he's 100 percent and expects to play in Boston's season opener on Oct. 16th against the 76ers.

Hayward has played 5-on-5, full-court for two weeks.

“The past two weeks and the next probably month or so will be good to get back into the game and feel the rhythm, the timing and things like that," Hayward said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/celtics/2018/09/13/gordon-hayward-celtics-ankle-injury-return-ready-season-opener/1292048002/

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
For the love of all that's good, Gordon—NO ALLEY-OOPS!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I can't WAIT!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm looking forward to seeing our new draft pick! (not RWill)

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Not to be mean to GH, but it's time to trade this guy before he gets injured again and completely tanks his value and loses the entire prime of his career. 

He's the most redundant 30 million dollar contract in the NBA. 

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Won't be long before GH reminds everyone that he lead Utah to the WC semifinals and an All-Star appearance right before he came to BOS.

Some have forgotten just how great he is.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not to be mean to GH, but it's time to trade this guy before he gets injured again and completely tanks his value and loses the entire prime of his career. 

I think everybody would have rather signed [a hypothetical FA] Anthony Davis than Hayward, but talent is talent - especially at the wing position. I am perfectly satisfied having Hayward, Tatum, and Brown. It is fair to be worried about how he will return, but if his bone is structurally sound, then it is really just about getting back into shape. I would be much more concerned about an achilles or even an ACL.

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

I think everybody would have rather signed [a hypothetical FA] Anthony Davis than Hayward, but talent is talent - especially at the wing position. I am perfectly satisfied having Hayward, Tatum, and Brown. It is fair to be worried about how he will return, but if his bone is structurally sound, then it is really just about getting back into shape. I would be much more concerned about an achilles or even an ACL.

Huh?  Gordon Hayward was a FA when we had money... Anthony Davis wasn't.  If we hadn't of signed Hayward (or another max FA) we would have just lost the opportunity to do so IIRC.  We basically had to give someone worthy of a max one, or end up having to use that to give smaller deals to guys we ALREADY have on our team, and miss out on having the max guy as well.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ridiculously bad take  ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Won't be long before GH reminds everyone that he lead Utah to the WC semifinals and an All-Star appearance right before he came to BOS.

It's pretty hyperbolic to call a player great for leading a team to a second round sweep.

Especially since the Jazz went back to the "conference semi-finals" last year without Hayward and actually had an improved playoff record without him. 

I wouldn't put him in the hall of fame just yet.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Huh?  Gordon Hayward was a FA when we had money... Anthony Davis wasn't.  If we hadn't of signed Hayward (or another max FA) we would have just lost the opportunity to do so IIRC.  We basically had to give someone worthy of a max one, or end up having to use that to give smaller deals to guys we ALREADY have on our team, and miss out on having the max guy as well.

I think you missed my point - since you are basically agreeing with what I said. The previous poster indicated that it was time to trade the wasted contract/player, Gordon Hayward, before we regret it.

My response was that, yes, there are better players in the NBA than Hayward (Davis was my example - obviously he wasn't a FA), but he was an in his prime All-Star when we signed him and we really couldn't have asked for a better player [at the time] to join the Cs. We didn't have to give up anything to get him. And, by all reports, Hayward is looking fantastic!

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

It's pretty hyperbolic to call a player great for leading a team to a second round sweep.

Especially since the Jazz went back to the "conference semi-finals" last year without Hayward and actually had an improved playoff record without him. 

They added a superstar level rookie in Donovan Mitchell though, and Ricky Rubio , so its not like they lost Hayward and still got farther without him. They added significant talent to replace him.

That's like saying the Celtics lost Kyrie and Hayward and got farther in the playoffs than last year. Its because we added Tatum and unleashed Rozier and Brown, otherwise we'd have been booted easily in the 1st round.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

After GS and Houston, the West was significantly weaker than the previous season. And talk about hyperbole, nobody is putting Hayward in the hall of fame.

Other teams envy the Celtics for having lots of versatile wings, which fulfills the "positionless basketball" concept. But you on the otherhand, doesnt thing we need this. lol

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
The hot takes in this thread should keep us warm thru winter.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Here's an article from the Ringer about how Hayward will fit into the team.  Thought I'd share it.
https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/26/17903450/gordon-hayward-reintroduction

It's just two days until we get to see this team in action.