Author Topic: Celtics depth chart / lineup questions (merged)  (Read 21714 times)

Re: Celtics depth chart/linup questions (merged)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline fin_dawgg

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
i dont see posey playing the 4 but i do see this for sum reason.. i dont think perk would be in clutch situation becuase they dont wana foul.. everyone would drive in on perk and most likely pick up the foul plus i see glen davis playing better D and rebounding better

Kg
Davis
posey
pp
ray

With Doc anything is possible, I didn't envision a line up that featured Green playing the 4 with Gomes at the 5 but it happened.  Davis is much more polished on offense, and a good rebounder, but I don't see him as being a better defender or rebounder than Perk.  Coach Ray has had two seasons to help Perk develop and if healthy it's not unreasonable to think that Perk will have an excellent season.   

The line up has to be a consistent rotation.  After the starters Pollard, House and Posey will see regular minutes.  I'm not Banking on Allen making a meaningful contribution for a little while.  Lets not forget that Tony struggled for quite some time after his last knee surgery which was insignificant by comparison.  I would like to see another true PG to help solidify the rotation but that seems unlikely.  Be that as it may, the Celtics are adequate 6, 7 and 8 off the bench.  If Tony Allen is able to return to form, the Celtics will have one of the better benches in the league.

--Fin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:48:24 PM by fin_dawgg »

Would the starting line up look something like this?
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 06:47:42 AM »

Offline Mogreen17

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
I may be a little off in some areas but here's how i see it:

Rondo/House/Pruitt
R.Allen/T.Allen
Pierce/Posey/Powe
Garnett/Scalabrine/Davis
Perkins/Olowokandi/Pollard

Please note that the subs are in no particular order. But if you ask me i think we're looking good.

I don't know much about Brandon Wallace and Jackie Manuel, but feel free to add them in where they belong

Re: Would the starting line up look something like this?
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
First of all Olowokandi is not on the team.  Second, this thread already exists:
http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=9756.0

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »

Offline Green_for_life

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Third...

No way Powe is a SF...

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »

Offline FrieCod

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 18
Yeah, switch Scal and Powe and I think you pretty much have it. We won't have Kandiman on the team.  We do have Brandon Wallace and Jackie Manuel though.  Can't see either of those guys playing much.  I think for depth we might need to drop one of those guys for a center.

96 Minutes
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 12:27:01 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
While there is little to no disagreement that KG will be logging some serious minutes at the 4-5 postions, there does seems to a divergence of opinion on how Doc will use the interchangeable bigs on our roster.

I tend to believe that Doc will use Perk the most, but otherwise rotate Perk, Vanilla Thunder, BBD, Powe, Posey, and 66 on a regular basis, giving them all some regular minutes that will fluxuate depending on matchups, foul trouble, and quality of play.

Here is my break down.

96 minutes

KG           36
Perk         22   
Scal         10   
BBD          09   
Powe        09   
Posey       05     
66            05

What's yours?

Re: Celtics depth chart / lineup questions (merged)
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
KG 35
Perkins 30
Pollard 15
Scali  16

Posey as a 6th man
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline durpman

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
1 R Rondo
2 R Allen
3 P Pierce
4 K Garnett
5 K Perkins

6th man Posey

Its quite obvious to me that this is going to be the starting lineup. You do not want Garnett playing alot of the Center position. Posey should help by subing for Pierce, Garnett, and moving Pierce to the 2 spot and playing Posey and Garnett in the forwards. Hopefully Pollard is healthy and can give you 10-15 mins a game and if he clicks up his time from there. But there is a lot of pressure on Perkins to improve (more so than Rondo we know he is going to be good and improve).

Re: Celtics depth chart/linup questions (merged)
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 07:03:05 PM »

Offline celtpride34pp20ra5kg

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 3
i dont see posey playing the 4 but i do see this for sum reason.. i dont think perk would be in clutch situation becuase they dont wana foul.. everyone would drive in on perk and most likely pick up the foul plus i see glen davis playing better D and rebounding better

Kg
Davis
posey
pp
ray

I agree with that one bigtime. Or replace davis with Powe. Either way.

The Team - The way I see it...Balance
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 02:45:44 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
There have been a lot of moves over the summer, some O love some not so much.

Here is the way I see the teams depth chart today on talent and with an eye on the future.

PG. Rondo, Pruitt, House
SG. R Allen, T Allen, Jones
SF. Pierce, Posey, Wallace
PF. Garnett, Powe, Davis
C . Perkins, Batista, Pollard

I can't really see a future for Scalabrine on the team and with this in mind I would really not like to see him get minutes ahead of Powe or Davis. I believe they offer long term solidity to the team

I love the Batista signing and hope he develops along the lines of Nene who I  would love to see in Green

The beauty of it all is that for Rondo, Perk, T Allen, Powe, Pruitt, Davis, Jones and Wallace it's time to learn from some real class acts. Suddenly the C's haven't lost youth, I kad been concerned that the team could get run off the floor - I am not concerned with that anymore - the team is young but the right balance of young and experienced.

Additions/moves I would like to see a move that ships Scal out and brings in a vet PG (I know it has all been said before)I would also like to see one big body come in under the boards. As much as I like Powe and Big Baby I think there is only room for one little big man

Re: The Team - The way I see it...Balance
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 03:20:07 AM »

Offline alskor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
Well, unfortunately for you House, Pollard and Scal will all be playing a good amount of minutes.

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 03:39:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
To say we are well balanced is really looking at this in the best possible light.

We have no big man outside of KG who has averaged over 5ppg in this league. We have no big man that played more than 22mins in the last couple of years.

We have no backup PG.

Then TA and the injuries and that could be anything this season, especially early on.

Oh and Scal has to be on our team he's the only big outside of Garnett that can guard quicker or more perimeter orientated bigs. And we need KG down low on the glass so Scal will be getting time because Perk is the only big needed more than Scal at this junction.

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 05:10:13 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
To say we are well balanced is really looking at this in the best possible light.

We have no big man outside of KG who has averaged over 5ppg in this league. We have no big man that played more than 22mins in the last couple of years.

We have no backup PG.

Then TA and the injuries and that could be anything this season, especially early on.

Oh and Scal has to be on our team he's the only big outside of Garnett that can guard quicker or more perimeter orientated bigs. And we need KG down low on the glass so Scal will be getting time because Perk is the only big needed more than Scal at this junction.

Remember the limited success Allan Ray had taking the ball up the court, then hanging out in the corner for open threes? I have no doubts Eddie House will have lots of success doing that - and for the record, Dahntay came into the league as a pg.

Backup Point guard, Check.

On the injury front, we have skilled reserves behind the big three that have produced in the NBA - Posey, Scal, and Jones.

Depth, Check.

I would argue that Powe and Wallace can also guard those perimeter oriented bigs, but I know nothing about Batista.

Defensive replacements, Check.

You raise a legitimate concern about the lack of experience and skill at the center position, and I would not be surprised to see some combination of Powe-Davis-Pruitt-Allen get shipped out to net a half decent post defender, maybe one of the Collins Brothers.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2007, 05:37:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

We have no backup PG.

Remember the limited success Allan Ray had taking the ball up the court, then hanging out in the corner for open threes? I have no doubts Eddie House will have lots of success doing that - and for the record, Dahntay came into the league as a pg.

Backup Point guard, Check.

On the injury front, we have skilled reserves behind the big three that have produced in the NBA - Posey, Scal, and Jones.

Depth, Check.

I would argue that Powe and Wallace can also guard those perimeter oriented bigs, but I know nothing about Batista.

Defensive replacements, Check.

You raise a legitimate concern about the lack of experience and skill at the center position, and I would not be surprised to see some combination of Powe-Davis-Pruitt-Allen get shipped out to net a half decent post defender, maybe one of the Collins Brothers.

The thread was about balance, we're not a very balanced team. It's almost impossible to be when you have Ray, Paul and Kevin at their paychecks. Just the way it is.

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2007, 05:58:23 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Scal is going to play a lot of minutes. He can do it pretty well close to a superstar like KG.