Author Topic: Celtics depth chart / lineup questions (merged)  (Read 21673 times)

Re: Celtics depth chart/linup questions (merged)
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 03:27:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Perk will prob foul out by the time the last 5 minutes roll around.

Why?

How many times did he foul out last year?

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 03:40:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Really depends on the situation.

Yep.  I am hoping for a lot of blow out games where Pruitt, Manuel, Wallace, Davis and Powe are on the floor to start the 4th quarter.....

But being realistic, I think it will probably be the players that start the games: Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG and Perk.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Will be no perkins and most likely be

garnett, posey, pp, r. allen, rondo

how do you feel about such a lineup from 5 minutes and lower?? looks like we could score, but can we cohesively shut down the others team offense as well??

For me once tony allen is 100 percent back we might have to utilize him in situations where a guy like kobe gets hot and we need to shut him down. R. Allen at that point could take a sit, but i wonder how he might feel about that

I feel ray allen with his so so defense (or is it lack of effort) could really hurt us some games and of course his offense save us in others

I go this one.

pg Pruitt
sg House
sf Wallace
pf BIG BABY
C  Poew

The Cs will be up by 30 and the scrubs will be playing!!!!

8)

- Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 06:22:11 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
It's all depends on if where winning or losing in the 4th. I expect to see a defensive lineup if ahead and more of a scoring lineup if trailing in the fourth.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:14 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Cant wait to see all 12 players playing in every game. It will be a very interesting season. Well, I want to see 11 players playing in every game. Scal can stay in bench making sure the towels are all dry for timeouts. He should be good at that.

And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 06:42:56 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
You know how Billy Beane says the baseball season is thirds? First third is figuring out what you have and need, second third is getting it, final third is making the playoffs. I consider each individual game similar. First half is primarily each team going with what they have and making small adjustments. Half time you figure out what matchups and situations favor you, down the home stretch you have to adjust to end game scenarios (e.g. having good foul shooters handle the ball.)

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 06:51:28 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
You have foul shooters handling the ball in a baseball season?  :o
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Cant wait to see all 12 players playing in every game. It will be a very interesting season. Well, I want to see 11 players playing in every game. Scal can stay in bench making sure the towels are all dry for timeouts. He should be good at that.

Hi Rey days without seing u, how is the fishing.    :D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 12:50:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Will be no perkins and most likely be

garnett, posey, pp, r. allen, rondo

how do you feel about such a lineup from 5 minutes and lower?? looks like we could score, but can we cohesively shut down the others team offense as well??

For me once tony allen is 100 percent back we might have to utilize him in situations where a guy like kobe gets hot and we need to shut him down. R. Allen at that point could take a sit, but i wonder how he might feel about that

I feel ray allen with his so so defense (or is it lack of effort) could really hurt us some games and of course his offense save us in others

I think you're correct Triboy.  That is the best combination of experience, defense and offense at every position which I think is critical at the end of games.  Nothing against Perk, but you really want your best players including your best FT shooters at the end.

I would say, however, that Posey and not Tony Allen would draw a defensive assignment like Kobe or LeBron.  Tony doesn't have quite the length of Posey.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 03:11:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hear all the complaints about our lack in depth on the 1 and 5 positions.  So, I'm curious on which team you guys think has the best roster depth in the NBA in all 5 positions.  This has nothing to do with the coaching and system intangibles, I'm only talking about individual player skills and talent.

For the Celtics, this is what I consider to be their depth... on a 15-man roster.  Yes, I do realize that only 12 players suit up, so if you think that 15-man roster is not representive we can surely modify it.  Well here it goes:

PG: Rajon Rondo/Ray Allen/Tony Allen/Pruitt/Eddie House
SG: Ray Allen/Paul Pierce/Tony Allen/Eddie House/James Posey/Pruitt/Manuel
SF: Paul Pierce/James Posey/Scalabrine/Wallace
PF: Kevin Garnett/Davis/Powe/Scalabrine/James Posey/Wallace
C:  Kendrick Perkins/Kevin Garnett/Pollard/Davis/Powe/Scalabrine/Wallace

The depth can be tweaked a bit, but this is how I envision our depth chart in all positions.  So which team do you think has the best depth 1-5, and if you can include a depth chart similar to the one above it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 03:15:46 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 03:49:40 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I'm with you, the nitpicking going on right now is over the top, someone out of manuel/bbd/pruitt/wallace will be a steal, someone will pan out more than we expect.  Beyond that there's a lot of veterans and proven credible guys, it's just how they adapt to their roles that will determine how deep the team really is.  And Eddie House, TA and Pollard are massive injury concerns, I think that's the problem.  On paper we're deep but in reality it's a major concern no matter how you slice it.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Well, at the moment I see we have great depth in most, if not all, positions, which is only possible because of all the players we have to be very effective in multiple positions, especially our star players.  But I'm really curious on which teams you guys think have the best depth because I very much think you guys are going to have a hard time finding one.

Lack of depth is relative, if we are deeper than other teams then we don't lack depth, the other team does.  We are a well balanced team, and I bet you that other teams that are stacked on the 1 and 5 positions, which should be our worst positions, have a lot of depth and talent problems on the other positions.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 09:47:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I actually think our depth is going to be fine.  Danny will pick up a vet PG by the trading deadline and we've got a just good enough crew after the big 3, starting 5 and top 6.  But filling in your top guys at 2 or more positions to show depth isn't quite getting to what people are talking about in questioning the bench.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I actually think our depth is going to be fine.  Danny will pick up a vet PG by the trading deadline and we've got a just good enough crew after the big 3, starting 5 and top 6.  But filling in your top guys at 2 or more positions to show depth isn't quite getting to what people are talking about in questioning the bench.
I agree, and if you want folks to respond Bud, it would be useful for YOU to do research on other teams before starting a thread like this.  Do your homework.  Analyze how the C's stack up.  Make your point.  Add some value to conversation.  Don't ask us to study other teams.

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 10:15:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I don't have a point, this thread was posted in "Around the NBA" because I was curious on which teams you guys thought had the best depth.  It was moved here to "Celtics Talk", but I had no intentions of proving a point.  As you can see, I never mentioned that I thought the Celtics had the best depth, I used them as an example because it's the team I know the most.

It would be pointless for me to study all 27 teams and all their players.  So if you have a team that you think has the best depth, bring it here, make a chart on what you think their depth is and I can study that specific team in more detail.

If you would actually think a couple of steps ahead, you would see what the purpose of this thread is.  First, is to satisfy my curiosty on the opinions of the posters here.  Secondly, it would give us a chance to nitpick all the teams that we consider as the "elite" teams just as we nitpick our Celtics.  Again, this thread wasn't meant for a Celtics discussion, it was meant for a discussion for "Around the NBA".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:23:24 AM by BudweiserCeltic »