Author Topic: Annual "celtics have fringe stars" ESPN post.  (Read 3201 times)

Re: Annual "celtics have fringe stars" ESPN post.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 08:10:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I didn't read enough of the article to get a feel for how the points system really worked, but how is Chris Paul a 15-pt player, while Kyrie is only 2? When Kyrie was in Cleveland, he was a super-duper star, but now he is barely worth a mention?

Also, don't worry Hayward/Cs fans - KAT and Beal also rated out as 1-pt players.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Come on it was based on the last 3 seasons (when both Irving and Hayward have missed significant time) and actual finishes on All NBA Teams or in RPM.  Now RPM is a silly statistic, but those rankings have absolutely nothing to do with the current season or where they project players will end up this year.  Not surprisingly lots of overreaction on this blog.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I didn't read enough of the article to get a feel for how the points system really worked, but how is Chris Paul a 15-pt player, while Kyrie is only 2? When Kyrie was in Cleveland, he was a super-duper star, but now he is barely worth a mention?

Also, don't worry Hayward/Cs fans - KAT and Beal also rated out as 1-pt players.

I feel like if you judge CP3's resume / reputation, championship excluded, you could rate him really high.  IMO but speaking objectively, he's probably one of the 5 best PGs of all time.

What I find even stranger is Lillard is something like a 9 right, and Kyrie is a 2?  Lillard seems like one of the better comps for Kyrie as an individual player, but Kyrie has a ring and more AS appearances despite being years younger... and he's less than 25% of Lillard?  Huh?  That's simply indefensible.

I didn't click on the article because I don't want to give ESPN traffic, but I'm tempted to check it out because it will help me quickly and very simply reverse engineer which basketball statistics are utterly useless.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 08:36:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The first paragraph pretty clearly explains their points. 

▪Five points: First-team All-NBA or a top-5 finish in RPM

▪Three points: Second-team All-NBA or a top-10 finish in RPM

▪One point: Third-team All-NBA, All-Star selection or a top-15 finish in RPM

They took the last 3 seasons.

Chris Paul got 15 points because in each of the last 3 seasons he was either 1st Team All NBA or finished in the top 5 in RPM. 

It really is that simple.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well, I guess this confirms it: the Cavs won the Kyrie trade. They got a 3 star player, while we just got a two star player.

[dang].
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Come on it was based on the last 3 seasons (when both Irving and Hayward have missed significant time) and actual finishes on All NBA Teams or in RPM.  Now RPM is a silly statistic, but those rankings have absolutely nothing to do with the current season or where they project players will end up this year.  Not surprisingly lots of overreaction on this blog.

And not surprisingly, you defend anything anti-celtic.

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Who cares? That Kyrie wasn't all nba last season makes it an irrelevant honor, other than it can help overrated players like KAT get a supermax. 

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
TP to OP for the funny subject line.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 10:57:35 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Chris Paul and Karl Malone.....so many titles between them :)

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Chris Paul and Karl Malone.....so many titles between them :)

Could you imagine a Finals matchup between Chris Paul and John Stockton? Who would finally get that elusive championship? I say Chris Paul gets injured 5 minutes into game one and ends up missing the series. His backup does a decent enough job and helps his team win the title. John Stockton loses another Finals, while Chris Paul gets no credit because he missed virtually the entire series.