Author Topic: Why Jaylen Brown is a Future Superstar (video)  (Read 4116 times)

Why Jaylen Brown is a Future Superstar (video)
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:46:52 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
By Any Means Basketball did a video on Jaylen Brown, focusing on just how versatile of a scorer he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSha52xjk0

And, in case you missed it, they did already do one on Tatum:

https://youtu.be/rJjs9VbkwTQ

I can't wait to see what these guys look like this season and, hopefully, for the next decade.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Why Jaylen Brown is a Future Superstar (video)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Thanks for sharing. I think Brown's skills are a bit underrated. He is an amazing athlete, but he does have pretty good handle, vision, shooting, and moves.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Thanks for sharing. I think Brown's skills are a bit underrated. He is an amazing athlete, but he does have pretty good handle, vision, shooting, and moves.

Jaylen is also an excellent two way player and has a top notch work ethic. I love that kid. He was also playing through injury throughout the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Yeah, his handle isn't great but it's become an underrated part of his game, I think, because where he's actually lacking is in reading a defender. He's getting better at that too but often when he loses the ball its because of a decisions he's made, not his handle.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Yeah, his handle isn't great but it's become an underrated part of his game, I think, because where he's actually lacking is in reading a defender. He's getting better at that too but often when he loses the ball its because of a decisions he's made, not his handle.

In the half-court Jaylen doesn't have enough shake to get by a quality defender unless they're already off balance (rotating/closing out). He gets in trouble when he tries to do too much. You can tell Brad has drilled in shoot, drive, or kick and it's working wonders. He's only 21 so he has plenty of time to work on his half-court isolation play. As of right now he's excellent at his role and only going to be better.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Sorry but have to disagree, he can't take people off dribble in iso like Tatum, he mostly only do line drives or simple euro steps, change direction, rely on his size/athleticism not skills
Also he doesn't pass all that much, and his BBall IQ has some holes in it

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

In the half-court Jaylen doesn't have enough shake to get by a quality defender unless they're already off balance (rotating/closing out). He gets in trouble when he tries to do too much. You can tell Brad has drilled in shoot, drive, or kick and it's working wonders. He's only 21 so he has plenty of time to work on his half-court isolation play. As of right now he's excellent at his role and only going to be better.

I am not settling with his current level of ballhandling and vision. If he improves both of these at a good rate, it's the difference between a Jimmy Butler ceiling and a Kawhi Leonard ceiling
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I am not settling with his current level of ballhandling and vision. If he improves both of these at a good rate, it's the difference between a Jimmy Butler ceiling and a Kawhi Leonard ceiling

I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to Jimmy Butler, however I think they are only really comparable on defense.  On offense Brown is much more above the rim player with a better 3 point shot, and Butler has a much more refined game within the 3 point line.  I’m not sure they will ever be similar on offense.  Maybe in terms of level of play as a ceiling, but not a comparison in style IMO.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Sorry but have to disagree, he can't take people off dribble in iso like Tatum, he mostly only do line drives or simple euro steps, change direction, rely on his size/athleticism not skills

Plenty of stars aren’t the greatest iso scorers, but if he can continue to improve his ballhandling and get a quicker first step, he could be a pretty good iso player with his athleticism and shooting.

His bball IQ is very high imo, but he sometimes overthinks things instead of just feeling the game out, like he’s too calculated sometimes. I think as he gets more games under his belt he will find the balance between cerebral and natural.

The passing is another aspect that he is too methodical, has a plan in his head and tries to execute (sometimes the defense reads it and forces him into really tough shots that he takes). As a young wing, it takes time to learn to pass out and I think as he gets better at attacking, he will know he has four players around the arc who can all stroke it and they will swing it for the right shot.

I am a growing believer in Brown that he has superstar potential.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those complaining about Brown's handle and ability to drive, I don't think you are giving the kid enough credit. Brown's first year, he dribbled high and didn't protect the ball during drives. He also had no moves. Just straight to the basket.

In his second year, his dribbling was much lower and handle was tighter. He developed a Eurostep and learned to finish through contact. Also, when shut off he developed a nice fadeaway. And he learned to pass much better on drives where he got shot down, hitting the open man much better. The growth from year one to year two, was unbelievably incredible. He obviously  worked on it all offseason. I can't wait to see what he brings differently this year. You might see some shake and bake stuff and learning to create better and be much better in the pick n roll.

To me this shows great dedication, work ethic and BBIQ. His court vision won't ever be great on the offensive end and the best I think we will ever see is he will become an average passer, but other than that he will be a tremendously well rounded two way superstar, in my opinion.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
For those complaining about Brown's handle and ability to drive, I don't think you are giving the kid enough credit. Brown's first year, he dribbled high and didn't protect the ball during drives. He also had no moves. Just straight to the basket.

In his second year, his dribbling was much lower and handle was tighter. He developed a Eurostep and learned to finish through contact. Also, when shut off he developed a nice fadeaway. And he learned to pass much better on drives where he got shot down, hitting the open man much better. The growth from year one to year two, was unbelievably incredible. He obviously  worked on it all offseason. I can't wait to see what he brings differently this year. You might see some shake and bake stuff and learning to create better and be much better in the pick n roll.

To me this shows great dedication, work ethic and BBIQ. His court vision won't ever be great on the offensive end and the best I think we will ever see is he will become an average passer, but other than that he will be a tremendously well rounded two way superstar, in my opinion.
There is no doubt he improved almost everything hugely during his first summer, but can he do it again like he claimed? i have my concern since he seems not working as hard as last summer but we will see

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Plenty of stars aren’t the greatest iso scorers, but if he can continue to improve his ballhandling and get a quicker first step, he could be a pretty good iso player with his athleticism and shooting.

His bball IQ is very high imo, but he sometimes overthinks things instead of just feeling the game out, like he’s too calculated sometimes. I think as he gets more games under his belt he will find the balance between cerebral and natural.

The passing is another aspect that he is too methodical, has a plan in his head and tries to execute (sometimes the defense reads it and forces him into really tough shots that he takes). As a young wing, it takes time to learn to pass out and I think as he gets better at attacking, he will know he has four players around the arc who can all stroke it and they will swing it for the right shot.

I am a growing believer in Brown that he has superstar potential.
Oh i hope you are right that his sometimes mental block is due to thinking too much, didn't feel that way myself though

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

There is no doubt he improved almost everything hugely during his first summer, but can he do it again like he claimed? i have my concern since he seems not working as hard as last summer but we will see
What makes you think he hasn't been working as hard as last offseason? Because he went to some business seminars? Last year there was little in the news about his offseason work and he came back a different player. Again, there has been little news of his offseason work. I think it's a mistake to just assume he isn't working as hard as he did last year.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

What makes you think he hasn't been working as hard as last offseason? Because he went to some business seminars? Last year there was little in the news about his offseason work and he came back a different player. Again, there has been little news of his offseason work. I think it's a mistake to just assume he isn't working as hard as he did last year.

Right. Just because we've seen him do a couple of things that aren't basketball doesn't mean he hasn't still been in the gym for multiple hours every day.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Last summer he post several hard working out videos, this summer he post videos of playing baseball, piano, streetball and lazy workout to be specific, the fire obviously isn't there, this is my gut feeling and i'm usually pretty accurate about it so