Author Topic: Is this a basketball blog or a political blog?  (Read 11706 times)

Re: Is this a basketball blog or a political blog?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
In July-August b-ball threads become redundant analysis or speculation about how this player or that team did in the past or will do in the future.   There is almost nothing new happening and therefore very little fresh to discuss.  So, for some of us, the daily news in politics offers respite from the lack of basketball/ Celtics news.  Count me as glad for the opportunity to read about and discuss politics here. 

At the same time, I look forward to Celtics news.  Pre-season in only about 5 weeks.

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As a reminder, anybody who wants to opt out of the Current Events forum can do so.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
you mean i am allowed to NOT read a thread if i so choose??  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
It is interesting that the political posts dominate other sports posts (NFL, MLB, college basketball, college football). 

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If you want to discuss basketball, by all means start a thread and discuss it. I am sure most of those posting in the political threads will also enjoy the discussion.

Since very few basketball threads are being made and this is probably an important time in our nation's history, many want to discuss it. Nothing wrong with that.

My guess is starting mid September, there will be countless basketball threads to enjoy.

Yep. Just not a whole of basketball going on. Or football.
I'm surprised there isn't more on the Red Sox, though. I guess that's cuz they are just so awesome that there's nothing to debate....
:)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
guess we slow for BB headlines.

i enjoy reading the diversity of comments on current events .   Some are quite eye opening.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't mind the political stuff. I'm an independent so I rather enjoy when things do go back and forth but that is very lite on here to the blogs credit. I also like that it shows we are very diverse but still part of C's community and love this team/franchise. A lot of it the post serve as news and reminders of the things that are going on outside of basketball.

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don’t ever post in the political threads, but two observations:

1. The fact that is a basketball site is what makes it such a good place for political discussion. Most political sites these days are hopelessly one-sided echo chambers where people just hear things that reinforce their views, no matter how wacky. But here, people come from all across the spectrum because something other than politics brings them here, so you see a whole range of views. Most other political sites would be well-served to have that diversity.

2. As an obsessive follower of politics, i find the discussions here to be as civil and intelligent as it gets, especially given the range of views. I frequently learn things here I haven’t seen raised anywhere else.

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948

1. The fact that is a basketball site is what makes it such a good place for political discussion. Most political sites these days are hopelessly one-sided echo chambers where people just hear things that reinforce their views, no matter how wacky. But here, people come from all across the spectrum because something other than politics brings them here, so you see a whole range of views. Most other political sites would be well-served to have that diversity.

2. As an obsessive follower of politics, i find the discussions here to be as civil and intelligent as it gets, especially given the range of views. I frequently learn things here I haven’t seen raised anywhere else.

Well said.  The fact that this blog (especially political threads) is well-moderated is what makes it great.  Discussions on other sports blogs - or the internet in general I guess you could say - devolves so frequently into insults and personal attacks that it really doesn't make sense to take the time to put forth a cogent argument since it will either be ignored or ridiculed by unreasonable people.  And though I doubt we really change each others minds here on C'sBlog, whether it's an opinion on basketball or politics, this is not the case here.  If you put forth a reasonable argument, you'll get a reasonable response.

Nobody comes to C'sBlog for their daily news or specifically for political discussion.  But this place is abnormally good to discuss just about anything really.  Ask for advice or an opinion on one of life's many challenges or mysteries and you'll likely get quality feedback.  Or just random stuff.  There's a long thread about drinking/rating craft beers for example.  Look at the top right of the forum page.  It's not just a "basketball blog".  It's "CelticsBlog, a Boston Celtics community".  And that's the way I see it anyway - a community that can discuss non-basketball topics rationally and civilly.  It doesn't hurt that many of the frequent users of this forum are articulate, highly-intelligent people I might add.

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I agree with the lack of other things to talk about this time of year, but, does everything in the world have to be about Trump?

We essentially lynched Nixon, so I understand not liking a politician or whatever, but, I follow sports to get away from that yack. It was equally unbearable when they wanted to impeach Clinton. You should have seen it. 24/7 Clinton b--w--jb talk it just made you turn off the TV.

Sometimes, I think the mass of anti Trump sentiment just helps him.

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
What an odd thread title.

I wonder if the author's sub-text might be just trying to insinuate that there is nothing out of the ordinary going on. That it's just Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, boring nothing to see here. As if there isn't something extremely out of the ordinary going on.

Also,
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This.

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 12:04:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I agree with the lack of other things to talk about this time of year, but, does everything in the world have to be about Trump?

We essentially lynched Nixon, so I understand not liking a politician or whatever, but, I follow sports to get away from that yack. It was equally unbearable when they wanted to impeach Clinton. You should have seen it. 24/7 Clinton b--w--jb talk it just made you turn off the TV.

Sometimes, I think the mass of anti Trump sentiment just helps him.

We essentially lynched Nixon?