Author Topic: Zion Williamson is the final piece  (Read 13562 times)

Re: Zion Williamson is the final piece
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 07:32:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dRyoLKtrI

I know it isn't very strong opposition, but my gosh his athleticism and strength for someone his age is just crazy. The way he finishes through contact like it isn't even there is hilarious.

Small ball 5! ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No outside shot at all shot less than 25% from the high school three which is an easier shot.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/zion-williamson/KyC06n7eEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Also 63% FT shooter.

All folks have to do is slack off him, and dare him to shoot.  He will bully a lot of guys but in the NBA they pay guys to take charges like Baynes.   So he is no one 's final piece until he develops a better jumper.   I expect him to do well in college with that physique and athletic ability but face it, the NBA is full of athletes.

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
No outside shot at all shot less than 25% from the high school three which is an easier shot.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/zion-williamson/KyC06n7eEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Also 63% FT shooter.

All folks have to do is slack off him, and dare him to shoot.  He will bully a lot of guys but in the NBA they pay guys to take charges like Baynes.   So he is no one 's final piece until he develops a better jumper.   I expect him to do well in college with that physique and athletic ability but face it, the NBA is full of athletes.

I agree Celts4eva. However you must admit not a horrible option at say #5. Who knows Danny could go in another direction.

I'd be happy to have him even tho I haven't been the biggest fan of his game. His body and hops are off the charts.

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Also 63% FT shooter.

His shooting form has already undergone significant alterations since he was in HS. I don't think he'll ever be a dangerous threat from deep, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up Rondo-like (2016-2018 Rondo), who shoots mid-30's from behind the arc and can't simply be ignored.

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
His combination of size and athleticism is breathtaking. If he can become proficient in the other facets of the game, and that is a big if, he has the potential to be great, even at a less than ideal height.

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
His combination of size and athleticism is breathtaking. If he can become proficient in the other facets of the game, and that is a big if, he has the potential to be great, even at a less than ideal height.

Does some things incredibly, other things not as well. It doesn’t look like he has the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter right now - at all. So he either has to fix that (lose 30 pounds?) or show he can defend the 4 or 5. Scroll about halfway down this page to see Langford get by him easily.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/08/12/early-2019-draft-thoughts-zion-williamson/

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2018, 11:15:51 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
That free throw dunk..  :o :o
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 04:21:58 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
We should consider trading Brown for the right to draft him

Compare to year 2 Brown he is stonger, better leaper, slightly better body control, better touch, smoother, better passer and court vision, slightly better dribble, less cockyness and less distraction

Brown is much better at the 3 and proven durability

so if he can improve/prove those two we should seriously consider trade Brown for him

I say his best position is lost 20 pounds and play the 2 like Brown
(Korver isn't going to block Zion twice in one game that i'm sure, Zion will eat him alive even now)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:27:10 AM by playdream »

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 04:25:58 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
system lag

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 04:28:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Compare to year 2 Brown he is stonger, better leaper, slightly better body control, better touch, smoother, better passer and court vision, slightly better dribble, less cockyness and less distraction

so if he can improve/prove those two we should seriously consider trade Brown for him

Why on earth would we do this when we have what is looking like a top 5 pick and potentially another late lotto pick?? That's a seriously bad idea.

Brown is also a far better defender and actually has proven himself at the NBA level, unlike Zion. So no, trading JB for Zion would be dumb. We're trying to win now, are we not?

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 05:23:26 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Why on earth would we do this when we have what is looking like a top 5 pick and potentially another late lotto pick?? That's a seriously bad idea.

Brown is also a far better defender and actually has proven himself at the NBA level, unlike Zion. So no, trading JB for Zion would be dumb. We're trying to win now, are we not?
So we can get two top prospect, one of which may contribute right now and they play the same position but Zion can be better at almost everything

If he can get a 3 and prove his durability, of course defense also, he will be a far better prospect than Brown and will contribute since year 1 like Tatum, yes there will be serious chemical risk to consider when we are contending now but still worth consider, also Brown will looking to get paid Big money soon so looking on now and future it's definitely a way to think

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Holy Moly this kid looks so out of his league in college. Hard to see how he will be super successful in the NBA at 6'6, but his ball handling is surprisingly brilliant. Highlights from a Pre-Season game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dRyoLKtrI
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

So we can get two top prospect, one of which may contribute right now and they play the same position but Zion can be better at almost everything

If he can get a 3 and prove his durability, of course defense also, he will be a far better prospect than Brown and will contribute since year 1 like Tatum, yes there will be serious chemical risk to consider when we are contending now but still worth consider, also Brown will looking to get paid Big money soon so looking on now and future it's definitely a way to think
We might simply just be able to draft Zion outright, as most mocks have Barrett and Little going ahead of him. So really no need to trade one of the best wing prospects in the game for him. Worst case, we could package picks (Sac, Memphis & LAC spring to mind, or even our own first) for him.

Paying big money to guys is going to happen. We can't avoid that with all the talent we have 

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

We might simply just be able to draft Zion outright, as most mocks have Barrett and Little going ahead of him. So really no need to trade one of the best wing prospects in the game for him. Worst case, we could package picks (Sac, Memphis & LAC spring to mind, or even our own first) for him.

Paying big money to guys is going to happen. We can't avoid that with all the talent we have
As you said we may just draft Zion at 4th, keep the chemistry for one year run, see Brown's 3rd and Zion's first year, then go from there

The problem is i don't see play 4-5 is best for Zion , just too much height and length given up, also the wear down will be tremendous, we should use his athleticism and play him big2 or 3 just like Brown, so that means we need to give up one of them at the end

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He looks like a combination of Justice Winslow and Julius Randle.

I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him against high level competition in the ACC, but at this point, I haven't seen a lot to think he will be an all-star.