Author Topic: Zion Williamson is the final piece  (Read 13560 times)

Re: Zion Williamson is the final piece
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
First of all the kings must not get the 1st pick... they are a lottery teambut it is good to get no7 but better to get no3

Yes in this ideal scenario we get the number 2 overall pick and RJ Barrett goes 1, presumably to a team like the Magic that would already be set for bigs.

Otherwise we'd have to trade up, which might not be possible.

As far as trading up we have enough remaining assets to not dig that much into our core.  Let’s say the Kings pick is 7, if you add the Grizzlies pick, another pick or Smart or Rozier that should be more than enough to move up. 

With that said he does look like a Charles Barkley all over again in that clip, but it’s way too early.  Also I don’t think he’ll ever be a center, but a future young core of Williams (center), Williamson (PF), Tatum (PF/SF), Brown (SG) could be very special and a good fit with each other to go along with the older vets Horford, Hayward, Irving and other pieces remaining.

Brad Stevens claims that his philosophy is that there are only guards, wings, and bigs and that the big man positions in particular are relatively interchangeable.

I don't think either Williamson and Robert Williams are true centers but I also doubt that if we had those 2 manning our future front court anyone would feel we were lacking size.

If acquiring Williamson isn't possible then that's fine there will be other opportunities, but man if we could swing adding him to this core that's a historically unique team.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Is he a great athlete in terms of quickness and speed, or just a ridiculous leaper?  Leaping doesn’t seem like the most important athletic trait for a 6’6” guy.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
williamson weighs what? i see reports of 285 pounds for 6' 6". how long can those knees hold up with such weight? i think he currently out weighs all but a handful of current nba players.

sullinger was reportedly 280 to 285, but he was 6' 9".

great athleticism by williamson from what little i saw. but, is he a basketball player in terms of other skills? or, he is another version of kedrick brown, who was 6'8", 45 inch vertical, and had great atheticism?

i have seen williamson dunk, and little else. thus far, which isnt saying much, he hasnt shown the ability to shoot 3 pointers. but again, it really is too early to say much of anything aside from he is really athletic and he really needs to lose weight.

so, let's wait a bit and let him play some college ball before we all buy our tickets for the hype train.  ;D

Weight is a definite concern. He needs to lose 20 lbs. 285 at age 18 is a little scary. Also he's not a C. Length will bother him.

But I'd take him if available although I'd prefer Little or Reddish..

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Is he a great athlete in terms of quickness and speed, or just a ridiculous leaper?  Leaping doesn’t seem like the most important athletic trait for a 6’6” guy.

I'd say his top end speed is very good for 270/280. His quickness and leaping ability are utterly elite.
#JKJB

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Haven't seen that much of Zion but my first thought was an above the rim Julius Randle. 

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Dude is the most dominant prospect physically since probably Lebron. Dominant rebounder. He honestly does some Shaq level things. His athleticism and physical ability can not be overstated. Developing jumper and really nice passing instincts as well. His vision and feel are advanced. All that and his personality gives off special competitor vibes.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
the most dominent player since X. how many times have we heard this about players?  ;D

let's see this year how he works out in college.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 05:40:05 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I'm thinking he will drop in the draft. So much hype and he hasn't questions about his skills translating to the NBA.

Just reminds me the type of hype that followed guys like Jabari Parker and Josh Jackson (next TMac?).
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I'm thinking he will drop in the draft. So much hype and he hasn't questions about his skills translating to the NBA.

Just reminds me the type of hype that followed guys like Jabari Parker and Josh Jackson (next TMac?).

Well Jabari Parker went #2 and Josh Jackson fell all the way to #4 so I don't really see Zion falling unless Cam Redddish and Nassir Little show out.

To be fair the value of top end wings can't be overstated so perhaps if we drafted 3rd or 4th Zion might have fallen behind the wing depth.

But honestly I'd be more surprised with Zion going #4 than going #1. Please excuse the early hype train but I'm sold on his potential as a franchise altering talent in ways that I'm not quite there on Little and Reddish.(Although I admit Barrett looks like a can't miss pick)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:12:43 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 06:44:45 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Best case scenario is Nassir Little at #2 and maybe Zion at #9 if he falls.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 07:30:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Dude is the most dominant prospect physically since probably Lebron. Dominant rebounder. He honestly does some Shaq level things. His athleticism and physical ability can not be overstated. Developing jumper and really nice passing instincts as well. His vision and feel are advanced. All that and his personality gives off special competitor vibes.

He’s an interesting player; one way he’s definitely like LeBron is that if he gets into the open court on a break he has that freight train momentum.  But otherwise I would not say he’s physically dominant the way LeBron was, at least in the half court, when he’s playing against competition that is future-NBA caliber. As a run-jump athlete he’s awesome in a straight line and he has good handles. But he’s had a lot of trouble staying in front of guards - Stepien collected some videos of guards breaking his ankles with crossovers.  And when he’s played against Nassir Little, Little has stripped him a bunch of times. He can’t shoot outside and his team defense is a big question mark. And yes, I am wondering how a player 6’6” and 280 is going to age.

Here’s Little putting out defensive effort in the McDonalds game to stop Williamson. (He didn’t win every battle like this one,  but it was definitely not a mismatch.)

https://youtu.be/3Yvs6mmKutk

Every review I’ve read says Little’s focus and competitiveness are truly elite. I’ll be very interested to see what UNC does when they play Duke.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:45:18 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:18 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I’m not even that high on Williamson.  He’s a physical freak but not an especially skilled basketball player.  People putting too much stock on this exhibition tour.

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
The final piece is Anthony Davis!

No LBJ, KD or Greek Freak allowed to attack inside.

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

He’s an interesting player; one way he’s definitely like LeBron is that if he gets into the open court on a break he has that freight train momentum.  But otherwise I would not say he’s physically dominant the way LeBron was, at least in the half court, when he’s playing against competition that is future-NBA caliber. As a run-jump athlete he’s awesome in a straight line and he has good handles. But he’s had a lot of trouble staying in front of guards - Stepien collected some videos of guards breaking his ankles with crossovers.  And when he’s played against Nassir Little, Little has stripped him a bunch of times. He can’t shoot outside and his team defense is a big question mark. And yes, I am wondering how a player 6’6” and 280 is going to age.

Here’s Little putting out defensive effort in the McDonalds game to stop Williamson. (He didn’t win every battle like this one,  but it was definitely not a mismatch.)

https://youtu.be/3Yvs6mmKutk

Every review I’ve read says Little’s focus and competitiveness are truly elite. I’ll be very interested to see what UNC does when they play Duke.

Nice point about Little although I do think Zion would perform better in a more defined role and system. The McDonalds All American game plays like the All Star game. Nobody was really looking to set ZW up with any advantage in that clip. Just dump the ball in and let him try to barrel to the rack.

He'd have more value as an open court and P and R finisher.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Here's another video with Little and Zion. Both are elite prospects. Little has just has crazy hands on defense. He must have learned something from Rondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU2xJf9gz9U