Author Topic: Kyrie to be honored by Standing Rock Sioux Tribe  (Read 2796 times)

Kyrie to be honored by Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
« on: August 17, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24402172/standing-rock-sioux-honor-kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-ceremony

This feels like a very Kyrie kind of thing.

I really do love having this guy on the team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Kyrie to be honored by Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
This is badass. This is a huge honor and as a native makes me more than proud. Had no idea he did all this.  :)

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Very interesting. I didn't know this but his mother was half Standing Rock Sioux.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
In June, Irving's released the "N7" version of his Kyrie 4 basketball shoes which featured a Standing Rock seal on the heels of the shoes.

He's just branding.  Nothing to see here.

It's simply a test of your perseverance and Will, to be present, even in the wake of what's going on. In this case, finding out I have an infection in my knee is definitely a moment that I now accept and move past without holding on to the all the what ifs, proving the nay-Sayers completely f***ing wrong, and accomplishing the goals I've set out for the team and myself."

... you acquired a staph infection because you chose to have an unnecessary surgery at the expense of your team.  Go to NY, ya dingus.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:00:56 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:21:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Very interesting. I didn't know this but his mother was half Standing Rock Sioux.

I didn’t know much about her at all.  My son is about the same age Kyrie was when he lost his mother. I can’t even imagine.

http://nbafamily.wikia.com/wiki/Elizabeth_Irving

I’m glad Kyrie is in touch with this part of his heritage.  Native American families were largely victimized by adoption agencies and the child welfare system in the 1960s and 1970s. Not a lot of folks are familiar with the history here, but about 1/3 of all Native children were intentionally removed  from the home of their parents and placed with non-Native families. It’s a tragedy that Congress finally corrected via the Indian Child Welfare Act.

https://www.nicwa.org/about-icwa/

I have no idea if racist policies were what led to Kyrie’s mom being adopted as a newborn, but I’m glad he’s in touch with his mother’s tribe.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 04:11:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In June, Irving's released the "N7" version of his Kyrie 4 basketball shoes which featured a Standing Rock seal on the heels of the shoes.

It's simply a test of your perseverance and Will, to be present, even in the wake of what's going on. In this case, finding out I have an infection in my knee is definitely a moment that I now accept and move past without holding on to the all the what ifs, proving the nay-Sayers completely f***ing wrong, and accomplishing the goals I've set out for the team and myself."

... you acquired a staph infection because you chose to have an unnecessary surgery at the expense of your team.  Go to NY, ya dingus.
Haha, wow. Keep digging that hole
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

digs furiously
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Kyrie Irving goes through naming ceremony, called Little Mountain

CANNON BALL, N.D. -- In an emotional naming ceremony, Boston Celtics star Kyrie Irving was given the Lakota name Little Mountain by the Standing Rock Sioux tribe Thursday.

Wearing a traditional shirt with ribbons, Irving stood on a buffalo skin and was prayed over by a tribe elder, Vernon Iron Horse. As a drum group played and chanted, Irving was wrapped in a blanket, had an eagle feather tied into his hair along with a medicine ball made of porcupine quills, and had a beaded medallion placed over his head as his name was revealed to him.

Irving's older sister, Asia, was also part of the ceremony and was given the Lakota name Buffalo Woman.

"We're welcoming home two of our own," Standing Rock chairman Mike Faith said. "This definitely is history."

Irving's mother, Elizabeth Larson, was a descendant of the Standing Rock Sioux but was adopted out as a small child. Irving, whose mother died when he was 4, has known about his lineage and has recently starting embracing it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24454604/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-gets-little-mountain-lakota-name-standing-rock-sioux-tribe

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nice and heart-warming article on Kyrie Irving. Proud of him for his work here.

He walks a different path than some.

I wish him well - on the court in Green and with his continued work off of it.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
loved the article and info....cool

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 05:07:51 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Is this idiom less familiar to you? It's not applicable here.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Considering the way you dig a deeper hole for yourself every time you comment on something Kyrie related, I reckon it does
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Considering the way you dig a deeper hole for yourself every time you comment on something Kyrie related, I reckon it does

You've repeated yourself without addressing the issue.  That's an incorrect use of the idiom. 

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Curious if Kyrie might like to dip his fingers even deeper into politically charged matters concerning his Sioux heritage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Sioux_Nation_of_Indians

(Fascinating caselaw. Refusing (now over 1 billion US dollars) in compensation in lieu of legal recognition of a trespass. As a lawyer myself involved in a case involving Indigenous Land Rights, this situation is intriguing. Admittedly, the compensation is safely in trust, but still that is a lotta coin that the leaders are refusing).

He might also like to comment on the imminent expansion of the Dakota Access Pipeline, which appears to be going ahead with support from "what's-that-third-branch-of-government-i-want-to-get-rid-of?" Rick Perry.. http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/traffic-and-construction/4485768-ceo-says-dakota-access-pipeline-expansion-be-announced-soon

"I think it's irresponsible for states to block resources that are in this country's national interest," Perry said.

Warren responded with "I love you, Rick. I love what you just said."

Much modelling suggests that we are already past the point of no return with Climate Change: but I am curious to see at what point everyone will actually start panicking about it. I would take the under if the line is 7 years.

EDIT: He has dipped his fingers before. Apologies to Kyrie:

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/801191934895144961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E801191934895144961&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.celticsblog.com%2F2018%2F8%2F23%2F17773960%2Fkyrie-little-mountain-irving-honored-by-the-sioux-tribe-boston-celtics
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:18:44 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.