Author Topic: Gov. Andrew Cuomo Say American Was Never that Great!  (Read 1514 times)

Re: Gov. Andrew Cuomo Say American Was Never that Great!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 900
As a New Yorker, I can safely say Cuomo is an idiot. He’s the same guy that recently told a story that he unknowingly admitted committing a crime.

I can’t wait until this guy is out of here. His father was great, he’s getting by on his name.

He’s always saying headline-worthy stuff, and he continuously gets the attention he seeks.

He’s often in “hot water” over remarks.
I AM A CELTIC

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27665
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
But, if you look at the Trump slogan of Make America Great Again, isn't he saying America isn't great now?

He definitely suggested it wasn't great as of 2016.  He's just waiting until the 2020 election to plagiarize the "It's morning in America again..." campaign.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Cuomo stupidly said what he did rather than prefacing his remarks with America is great but.....

But, if you look at the Trump slogan of Make America Great Again, isn't he saying America isn't great now?

Doesn't matter, dude. Trump and his supporters will almost certainly continue to see that as being the fault of Obama, and therefore, in their minds, Cuomo saying stuff like this is only further proof that Democrats are out to ruin this country. ::) I think. Actually no idea, lol. ;D

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 10:25:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The plain and simple truth is that Trump’s MAGA phrase is a dog whistle for make America white again. And if you are white, as many of us are here, maybe America was great in the past for you. But it also wasn’t for a lot of people.

And as i’m sitting in Vietnam right now after just visiting the War Museum, I can tell you America has actively gone out of its way to make itself pretty terrible in the not so recent past.

Is that the War Remnants Museum? #YesIJustGoogledIt ;D

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 12:09:54 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 432
As a non-American, but as someone who follows American politics as if it affects me directly (which it does, as the leading world influence), I have to say it is encouraging to hear the kind of mature thinking about this which I have come to expect from my CBlog brothers and sisters.

This must be a very difficult time for Americans to come to terms with what is happening, in terms of the most pernicious political strategy of all: which is wrapping oneself in the flag, and hiding behind the one of the bravest militaries on earth to deflect criticism of policy makers and political rhetoric.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 12:11:29 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524

He definitely suggested it wasn't great as of 2016.  He's just waiting until the 2020 election to plagiarize the "It's morning in America again..." campaign.
TP.

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:12 AM »

Online JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1208
As a black woman, I wholeheartedly agree with Cuomo. Better than the day before is what we are and hopefully what we will continue to be.

As a 1st generation middle eastern person, my father would tell about the horrors he had to endure growing up in the craphole war torn country he came from, and how grateful I should be to live in, and grow up, here in America. Those lessons never left me. My dad, came to this country with $600 in his pocket and an acceptance letter to Northeastern. Today he is an everyday millionaire, the kind that invested and worked hard his entire life. We live in the greatest Meritocracy the world has ever known, history is crystal clear on this. That goes for all people regardless of race or gender.

America is only not great when compared to a non-existent utopia.

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »

Offline adam8

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The plain and simple truth is that Trump’s MAGA phrase is a dog whistle for make America white again. And if you are white, as many of us are here, maybe America was great in the past for you. But it also wasn’t for a lot of people.

And as i’m sitting in Vietnam right now after just visiting the War Museum, I can tell you America has actively gone out of its way to make itself pretty terrible in the not so recent past.
War is always terrible but sometimes necessary.  The Soviet Union, North Vietnamese, Viet Cong, etc weren't the good guys in the Cold War.
I highly suggest watching the untold history of the United States on Netflix it will give you a whole different perspective on the lead up to the Cold War and the Cold War itself, we were very far from innocent protectors of peace.

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 06:15:43 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 250
Cuomo stupidly said what he did rather than prefacing his remarks with America is great but.....

Since an 8th grader could come up with a better critical essay discussing the campaign slogan, you'd think Cuomo would have figured something at least slightly clever that would have clarified and criticized at the same time ... Make America Great for All! -and then went on his bit about sexism, racism, maybe throw in a little generational poverty.

But nope...

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 08:48:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 8944

Since an 8th grader could come up with a better critical essay discussing the campaign slogan, you'd think Cuomo would have figured something at least slightly clever that would have clarified and criticized at the same time ... Make America Great for All! -and then went on his bit about sexism, racism, maybe throw in a little generational poverty.

But nope...
not a bad slogan at all for Dems to use in 2020 -- TP - should be working on their campaign.

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 142
Classic bulletin board material for politicians.

America being "great" is sort of the "player X is overrated/underrated". It's a relative assessment and depends on perception and comparison. It can both always be true and always be false at the same time.

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2431
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
America: I'm into it, but I feel like we can be better!

The most healthy honest campaign slogan out there. Tastes like graham crackers.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »

Offline mef730

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 610
Did the great Cuomo say what country was great?

I couldn't speak for Mr. Cuomo, but for my money: Bermuda.

Mike
Want to learn about frequent flyer miles and flying well for free? Check out my blog here: http://frequentflyermiles101.com/

Actually, check it out even if you don't want to. It'll make me feel good.

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »

Offline td450

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 77
As a black woman, I wholeheartedly agree with Cuomo. Better than the day before is what we are and hopefully what we will continue to be.

As a 1st generation middle eastern person, my father would tell about the horrors he had to endure growing up in the craphole war torn country he came from, and how grateful I should be to live in, and grow up, here in America. Those lessons never left me. My dad, came to this country with $600 in his pocket and an acceptance letter to Northeastern. Today he is an everyday millionaire, the kind that invested and worked hard his entire life. We live in the greatest Meritocracy the world has ever known, history is crystal clear on this. That goes for all people regardless of race or gender.

That's all great and I'm happy for you. But you must understand your father's testimony is that of an exceptional person and comes from a certain time in our nation's history. My parents were Italian and German. They are both beautiful, prosperous countries now, but in their lifetimes, they were once craphole war torn countries that would make Syria look like Mr. Roger's neighborhood. Things can change in one or two generations.

Meritocracy is great, and we all grew up believing in it. But everyone can't be exceptional. The testimony of the other 98% matters too.

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 142

That's all great and I'm happy for you. But you must understand your father's testimony is that of an exceptional person and comes from a certain time in our nation's history. My parents were Italian and German. They are both beautiful, prosperous countries now, but in their lifetimes, they were once craphole war torn countries that would make Syria look like Mr. Roger's neighborhood. Things can change in one or two generations.

Meritocracy is great, and we all grew up believing in it. But everyone can't be exceptional. The testimony of the other 98% matters too.

Not everyone can be exceptional, but everyone can benefit from exceptionality. And the most successful systems at fostering exceptionality are meritocracies. I don't think that can be discounted.