Author Topic: Trump revokes Brennan's security clearance  (Read 3586 times)

Trump revokes Brennan's security clearance
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 584
In yet another chilling display of pettiness out of the oval office:

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/15/17693606/trump-john-brennan-security-clearance

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

Re: Trump revokes Brennan's security clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 446
In yet another chilling display of pettiness out of the oval office:

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/15/17693606/trump-john-brennan-security-clearance

Complete dumb political move to distract / change the subject from Russia investigation, Manafort Trial, Omarosa N-word allegations.  So when there so many security issues around the world, getting rid of another resource that can give context to the current issues doesn't help.  This doesn't make us more safe, it actually makes us less safe.  It has been historically helpful to have past security leaders give advice to the current administration.  But Trump knows better lol...this is so embarrassing.

White house didn't give any evidence of Brennan mis-using security information.  The thing is this isn't going to stop Brennan from being critical of Trump.  This is a lose / lose for everyone.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524
People should be concerned that the list of names that were warned that their clearances may be revoked as well, are all people that have been critical of Trump. So basicly, Trump is also sending a message to others in government that if you are going to voice your opinion that you don't agree with Trump, you will be replaced and your security clearances revoked.

This is clearly trying to suppress government employees' 1st amendment rights. Its just another move to create division, deceive the populace, and consolidate power under Trump in the executive branch. This move is unprecedented. Presidents just do not get involved in the revoke of former government employees' clearances.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27661
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I donít mind those who have their clearance revoked for cause.

And, Iíd be fine revoking everyoneís clearance one year after leaving government service.

I donít like seeing it as a tool used against vocal critics, though.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas

And, Iíd be fine revoking everyoneís clearance one year after leaving government service.

For Brennan, there hasn't been any evidence / any cause, or at least I haven't seen any.  I think you are saying the same thing.  But I think 1 year seems too short of a transition period in general.

I would think it would benefit any current administration to be able to get historical background directly from the source.  If those leaders loose that security clearance the current admin people can't discuss those issues with them. 

Imagine another 9/11, in a crisis I would rather have people be able to talk to each other so that the decision makers have all the best information they can.

The current congress needs to step in and do something about our dictator / president.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:59:46 PM by blink »

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
I wonder if Michael Flynn lost his security clearance. Now there is a guy that probably deserves to lose his clearance.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
I wonder if Michael Flynn lost his security clearance. Now there is a guy that probably deserves to lose his clearance.

It was reported on CNN that he still has his security clearance.   But then I found article that said it was suspended pending a review.  So not really sure...

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 58

When John Brennan comes out and says Putin might have something on Trump, as if he knows something because he has security clearance. Spreading lies and misinforming the
American people. He misused and gave up his privilege. Being a critic and spewing crap is different.

What you will find is Brennan will be a major player when the Russian Hoax is uncovered.  Brennan will be exposed as having a lot to do with the phony dossier and the FISA warrants. He has been linked to Fusion GPS, Steele, Simpson, Strzok, Ohr(s) , Page, Yates, McCabe, Comey etc...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:02:09 PM by Pucaccia »

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone -- Area 51 & aliens, JFK assassination, Marisa Tomei's Oscar -- but the depth of collusion from so many different people & places has become too large.

And for the record, I believe:
- Oswald did not act alone
- Tomei's name was not listed on the ballot
- No proof of aliens visiting, because Trump would have told everyone about t

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2431
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
When John Brennan comes out and says Putin might have something on Trump, as if he knows something because he has security clearance.

Never happened. 

Spreading lies and misinforming the American people. He misused and gave up his privilege. Being a critic and spewing crap is different.

He didn't spread lies or misinform the American people. Or if he has, I haven't seen it and can't find it.

What you will find is Brennan will be a major player when the Russian Hoax is uncovered.  Brennan will be exposed as having a lot to do with the phony dossier and the FISA warrants. He has been linked to Fusion GPS, Steele, Simpson, Strzok, Ohr(s) , Page, Yates, McCabe, Comey etc...

I would love to see the sources on this.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
When John Brennan comes out and says Putin might have something on Trump, as if he knows something because he has security clearance.

Never happened. 

Spreading lies and misinforming the American people. He misused and gave up his privilege. Being a critic and spewing crap is different.

He didn't spread lies or misinform the American people. Or if he has, I haven't seen it and can't find it.

Only place you will find that info is at some far right wing conspiracy links. Especially since the names he gave were the same names Sanders stated might also have their security clearances revoked
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:52:56 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27661
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
A general question: is there any point at which a critic becomes so vocal that they become compromised, and therefore should lose clearance?

I would think that fired employees would lose clearance. To me thatís common sense.

And, anybody leaking secure material should lose their clearance.

What if Brennan went beyond criticism to imply that he had inside information, and without revealing it, criticized the President? Something like, ďIíve seen some of the stuff heís doing in North Korea, and he could get millions killedĒ?

In this instance Trump seems petty and is further poisoning the political well, but I think itís interesting to explore whatís appropriate in a non-Trumpian context.

Itís probably good to know what ďsecurity clearance ď means, too. Arenít their different levels? Might it make sense to just reduce, rather than eliminate, somebodyís access?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:27 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1184

Never happened. 

Only place you will find that info is at some far right wing conspiracy links. Especially since the names he gave were the same names Sanders stated might also have their security clearances revoked
  so I guess Dan Bongino , a secret service agent who worked under Obama is a far right conspiracy theorist ?

His podcast breaks down all the corruption under the Obama administration,  and Brennan is definitely a big part of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:06:07 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Brennan's response:

This action is part of a broader effort by Mr. Trump to suppress freedom of speech & punish critics. It should gravely worry all Americans, including intelligence professionals, about the cost of speaking out. My principles are worth far more than clearances. I will not relent.

Also maybe it bears mentioning that 2 hrs before the WH tweeted they were terminating the security clearance, this came out:

https://twitter.com/BLS_gov/status/1029768617985024000

Real average hourly earnings down 0.2 percent over the 12 months ending July 2018 https://go.usa.gov/xUFM3  #BLSdata

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
so I guess Dan Bongino , a secret service agent who worked under Obama is a far right conspiracy theorist ?

Yeah, he's pretty out there. Not at all a reliable source.