Author Topic: Celtics Memories of games attended in Person  (Read 13817 times)

Re: Celtics Memories of games attended in Person
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'll never forget the first game I ever went to. It was February 1st 2002 and we played the T-Wolves on a Friday night at the Fleetcenter back in the day. I was in 5th grade at the time and never went to a game live so I was super excited to see PP, Antoine and the Celtics live play KG. We were literally the last row of the nosebleeds so me and my brother was able to stand up the entire game screaming and cheering the Celtics on.

That game was super epic with lead changes and a brief altercation KG had with Tony Battle. We ended up losing in overtime when Pierce missed a three pointer, but man I became a beloved Celtics fan that Friday night. No game will ever top that first game that still gives me memories of childhood excitement for basketball.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I saw my first game back in the 87/88 season back in the old Boston Garden. My seat was positioned directly behind a pillar - it was quite the obstructed view.

I still loved it though! I stood off to the side most of the game so I could actually see it :).

More recently I saw 2018 game 1 against the 76ers... It was awesome! Rozier went for 29 and Tatum for 28 in a blowout.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
First Celtics game I ever went to;  April 1, 1990 at the Boston Garden.

9 years old. Sunday afternoon game.   Floor seats baseline behind the basketball.  Maybe 5-6 rows back. Think my dad had gotten them from some regular at his bar.  Celtics against the expansion Orlando Magic.    Bird dropped 36.  Just remember being in awe of finally seeing Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ, & the actual Garden in person.

Celtics won. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Early 90's at the LA Sports Arena for Clippers vs Celtics.  Going to those games you realize there were quite a few Celtic fans in the LA area - was practically a home game for them.  Can't remember if they were tied or down 1 but Bird goes to the line with .9 seconds left.  People under the basket are holding life size pictures of women in bikinis to distract him.  He sinks both free throws so Celtics are up by either one or two.  After the time out Bo Kimble (I think) heaves a turn around three that goes in.  Felt like I was punched in the gut.  Fortunately they had waived it off saying time had expired.  Celtics win.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQRl_jZHgKw

I was there!!

Rondo - 29 pts - 18 assists - 13 rebounds

Blessed.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I've got a great track record.

Saw 3 home games in early February 2010. Wins against Miami and New Jersey and a loss against Orlando. Main thing I wanted to see was the starting 5 of Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett and Perkins which very nearly didn't happen as Pierce injured his foot against Washington before the Miami game. The next day there were reports that it might be broken and I was devastated. Fortunately he recovered to play in the last game I saw against Orlando.

In late January/early February 2013 I saw 8 consecutive games.
Loss @ Detroit.
Loss @ Cleveland (Kyrie took over down the stretch).
Narrow home loss against the Knicks.
Loss @ Atlanta in double OT in a game where the Celtics lead by 26 points at one stage during the first half. Korver went nuts shooting 3s and apparently the 12 point margin was a Celtics record for a double OT loss.
Finally the next game against Miami at home, Ray Allen's first back in Boston, I got to see a win in OT. The win though was very much soured by the news that Rondo had torn his ACL in the Atlanta game. I found out when I was waiting to get back to my seat during the 2nd quarter when an usher just casually leaned over to me and said "Rondo's out for the season". I got my own dose of what happened to Pierce when that reporter broke the news to him in the post game interview.
After that I saw 3 more home wins against the Kings, Magic and Clippers so at least got to finish on a high seeing 4 straight wins after 4 straight losses.

Last year I came over for the first 4 games of the season, including of course the first game in Cleveland. No elaboration needed.

Just once I'd like to travel the nearly 11,000 miles from Adelaide to Boston and not have anything catastrophic happen.  :(
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
1974 Finals game 6 vs Bucks...Jabbar skyhook double OT
1976 Triple OT Finals vs Phoenix
1984 Game 7 Finals vs Lakers
1962? Finals vs Lakers....Baylor scores 62 or 63....Celtics win

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Pack it up we've got a winner.  (don't pack it up)

Big TP, what a set of experiences.  Any non "big" games that were especially memorable?

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Forgot to mention Bird's steal and pass to DJ to neat Detroit in the east dinals

Non big game memory....birth of my son Redz

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 04:50:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Forgot to mention Bird's steal and pass to DJ to neat Detroit in the east dinals

Non big game memory....birth of my son Redz

Who was home watching on TV  :o

(The games, not the birth -  I had a good view of that one)
Yup

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I live in the DC area so the only games I see are against the Wizards.

My most memorable was I went to a game where I sat three rows back behind the celtics bench.  It was a very tight game until half time but in the 2nd half, Pierce came out and absolutely murdered Jerry Stackhouse on both ends of the floor.  It was hilarious and amazing all at the same time, Celts won handily
Greg

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 08:02:01 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38

Big TP, what a set of experiences.  Any non "big" games that were especially memorable

Can we get a thread where we can ask this guy anything? A Reddit style AMA?
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I usually only go to 2-3 games a year and usually get tickets from a friend who has season tickets. So, I usually get games that are against crap teams.

But back in the 80's I did go to one really special game. I think it was 1985. McHale went for 56 against what would soon become the Detroit Bad Boys and set a Celtic record for points in a game. That crowd was off the charts knowing that McHale was getting close to the record and the team kept feeding him and he kept hitting buckets.

Don't remember the final score but both teams were well over 120 points each. McHale put on an amazing show. Best offensive performance I ever saw in person.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 11:01:57 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I live in the DC area and have seen all the Cs games for the past 30+ years.  The best game I ever saw was Nov. 7, 1987, double overtime win by the Cs.  Bird scored 47 points, Ainge scored 28 points with 12 assists, and DJ had 17 assists.  Bird tied the game in regulation with a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to go.  He then hit 2 free throws with 4 seconds to go in the first overtime.  Finally, Bird hit the winning shot in the second overtime as time expired...140-139.  Unbelievable to watch that game in person.     
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Big TP, what a set of experiences.  Any non "big" games that were especially memorable

Can we get a thread where we can ask this guy anything? A Reddit style AMA?

Oh god I miss "Ask Edgar"