Author Topic: Butler/Irving Chatter is "Substantial"  (Read 15873 times)

Re: Butler/Irving Chatter is "Substantial"
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I wonder about trying it Miami Heat style:  Trade everybody. Just start over. Trade Porzingis with Noah. Clear the books as much as possible. I'm pretty sure if they ever pulled it off in a good free agent year, they would immediately sign the best 3 free agents, and then get to pick the right guys at the right price around them, meaning guys who valued winning over money (since there wouldn't be any) like the Warriors are doing.

2019 might be the offseason to try something like that. (Hello, Memphis).  And  New York City is a heck of a draw, like South Beach and LA. Those are probably the 3 easiest NBA cities to lure players, so long as the team isn't garbage.

Isaiah's dumbest theory as Knicks GM was thinking the team was so rich they could overpay their roster even in the cap era and still make money. He should have figured the opposite: they're in NYC, and there is a salary cap, so maybe they could get players on a discount to come to NY, enjoy the life, and make it up in marketing deals (and playoff money).

Anyway, y'all have been all over NYK's payroll. Is it doable?

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I wonder about trying it Miami Heat style:  Trade everybody. Just start over. Trade Porzingis with Noah. Clear the books as much as possible. I'm pretty sure if they ever pulled it off in a good free agent year, they would immediately sign the best 3 free agents, and then get to pick the right guys at the right price around them, meaning guys who valued winning over money (since there wouldn't be any) like the Warriors are doing.

2019 might be the offseason to try something like that. (Hello, Memphis).  And  New York City is a heck of a draw, like South Beach and LA. Those are probably the 3 easiest NBA cities to lure players, so long as the team isn't garbage.

Isaiah's dumbest theory as Knicks GM was thinking the team was so rich they could overpay their roster even in the cap era and still make money. He should have figured the opposite: they're in NYC, and there is a salary cap, so maybe they could get players on a discount to come to NY, enjoy the life, and make it up in marketing deals (and playoff money).

I think this is more what they are thinking honestly. It's either this or more years of a terrible team built around a guy who just isn't durable or good enough to be a true franchise stud. I like Porzingis but he's just not built for the pounding a No 1 guy takes and his performance is not worth $158mm. This is NY, Dolan, the fans etc never rebuild through the draft or whatever, they're always itching to sign big names, the quicker the better.

They could trade Noah along with Porzingis for one of their targets (presumably Durant, Kyrie, and Butler and then maybe draft picks to get rid of one of Lee or THJ. Then one guy waits on an extension, you time it right, you end up with all three.

Otherwise, their options are extremely limited and only get more so after maxing out the Zinger..

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think this is more what they are thinking honestly. It's either this or more years of a terrible team built around a guy who just isn't durable or good enough to be a true franchise stud. I like Porzingis but he's just not built for the pounding a No 1 guy takes and his performance is not worth $158mm. This is NY, Dolan, the fans etc never rebuild through the draft or whatever, they're always itching to sign big names, the quicker the better.

They could trade Noah along with Porzingis for one of their targets (presumably Durant, Kyrie, and Butler and then maybe draft picks to get rid of one of Lee or THJ. Then one guy waits on an extension, you time it right, you end up with all three.

Otherwise, their options are extremely limited and only get more so after maxing out the Zinger..

Why would any of the three teams do that trade?  Certainly it’d make zero sense for either Boston or Golden State, who are title contenders.  Meanwhile, Minnesota can’t afford to take on Noah’s contract and pay Porzingis AND Towns next year.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Why would any of the three teams do that trade?  Certainly it’d make zero sense for either Boston or Golden State, who are title contenders.  Meanwhile, Minnesota can’t afford to take on Noah’s contract and pay Porzingis AND Towns next year.

Well that's the trick. They have to clear enough space to appear to be players in 2019. Thereby worrying teams that they will lose their FA for nothing. They can use the Nets two max spots as leverage, inciting some type of fear of FOMO..

Don't think it's easy, but not sure what their alternatives are..

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Well that's the trick. They have to clear enough space to appear to be players in 2019. Thereby worrying teams that they will lose their FA for nothing. They can use the Nets two max spots as leverage, inciting some type of fear of FOMO..

Right, but title contending teams should never trade away a star just because he might walk.  You win the title, have the parade, and let the chips fall where they may, knowing that banner will always hang.  So no way would either Golden State or Boston make that trade.  Meanwhile Minnesota becomes a tax team with lesser talent just to get something for Butler?  I dont think so.

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Right, but title contending teams should never trade away a star just because he might walk.  You win the title, have the parade, and let the chips fall where they may, knowing that banner will always hang.  So no way would either Golden State or Boston make that trade.  Meanwhile Minnesota becomes a tax team with lesser talent just to get something for Butler?  I dont think so.

This is the way I view it. I am comfortable with Kyrie walking next summer. But maybe the Celtics FO won't be. Who knows..

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I can't imagine that the Celtics would trade Irving based on fear of him signing elsewhere but fear of a recurring knee could lead them to consider a trade.  I don't think this is likely though.

There is always a risk that Irving will sign somewhere else but I feel that so long as he is here and the team is playing well, we will be the front runners to keep him.

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I think he leaves, but not much to do about it.  Lets just try to win it.

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have a feeling that if Danny wasn't sure Kyrie was staying he would have moved him this offseason. These reports regarding Kyrie and Butler are great rumors but there is nothing coming from Kyrie's camp that is fueling it. The man gave up millions to come here so he could be the man here. Don't see him doing anything but resigning, especially after last year and the coming season.

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think its butlers camp and NYC media that is driving this.

Otherwise, would be really stupid for Irving to leave this situation which is basically a top 5 team in the NBA, maybe in top 2 potentially for a dumpster fire that is NYC. Butler isnt even really that good...Hayward is better, and tatum/brown could be better this year or even more in a couple years.

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Otherwise, would be really stupid for Irving to leave this situation which is basically a top 5 team in the NBA, maybe in top 2 potentially for a dumpster fire that is NYC. Butler isnt even really that good...Hayward is better, and tatum/brown could be better this year or even more in a couple years.

Yes from our perspective it would be "stupid" for Kyrie to leave but obviously we aren't Kyrie. It might be completely obvious to him to choose a different team. We don't know. Everyone thought he was "stupid" for wanting out of the Cavs as well. Seems like a good move now..

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This has been on my mind the last couple of months, so I'm just going to say it / type it.

If next season Kyrie Andrew irving plays at a 2015-16 (Championship) level,

Gets into top 3-5 MVP voting,

Plays out of his mind in the playoffs,

Gets his teammates involved,

Incorporates Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart and the rest of this team,

Enable Tatum and Brown to continue their growth,

Helps Coach Stevens and Pres. Ainge to achieve Coach of the year and Executive of the year, and FINALLY

Helps us to raise Banner 18 in June of 2019...........

Then "IF" he STILL chooses to leave BOS and go play with Jimmy Butler wherever -

I honestly won't care and I'll WISH HIM WELL. He would always be a hero to me and I wouldn't be mad.

Just get us to Banner 18 Kyrie. Then I wouldn't care where he went.

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

Yes from our perspective it would be "stupid" for Kyrie to leave but obviously we aren't Kyrie. It might be completely obvious to him to choose a different team. We don't know. Everyone thought he was "stupid" for wanting out of the Cavs as well. Seems like a good move now..

writing was on the wall with the cavs though...when he wanted out, everyone said "he wants out before lebron leaves him" also, cavs just got decimated in the finals and looked near the end.

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 06:32:10 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Honestly where there's this much smoke there's fire.  ESPN posted a video a while back with former NBA player Jaylen Brown confirming these rumors and he's generally pretty tied into the NBA circles. 

I'm not going to rehash Kyrie's history of jumping ship on a championship team, but let's not pretend that he'd be unwilling to abandon a team due to how "good" the team was.

Most importantly if we want to keep Jaylen Brown and Tatum on the roster we need to open up some cap room, either Al horford or Kyrie is the most likely candidate to be ousted since the Celtics inexplicably tied up 11 million a year in Marcus Smart.

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Honestly where there's this much smoke there's fire.  ESPN posted a video a while back with former NBA player Jaylen Brown confirming these rumors and he's generally pretty tied into the NBA circles. 

I'm not going to rehash Kyrie's history of jumping ship on a championship team, but let's not pretend that he'd be unwilling to abandon a team due to how "good" the team was.

Most importantly if we want to keep Jaylen Brown and Tatum on the roster we need to open up some cap room, either Al horford or Kyrie is the most likely candidate to be ousted since the Celtics inexplicably tied up 11 million a year in Marcus Smart.
Huh...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)