Author Topic: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped  (Read 10304 times)

Re: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Tatum's only overhyped by the kinds of good loyal green glasses C's fans who think he'll be the best player in the league in 2-3 years or that he's too good to trade straight up for Anthony Davis. Full disclosure: I think the first one's not impossible but highly unlikely and am kinda sorta in the 2nd camp in spite of my brain knowing better.

Other than that he's pretty accurately hyped - incredibly talented rookie, superstar potential, high skills, size, and athleticism, showed he can thrive under playoff pressure. About as promising as any rookie's ever been that wasn't a superstar already.

It is fair to say his shooting's more likely to regress than not, but that's just because the numbers were so strong to begin with. And it's fair to say he still has flaws, and that nobody's guaranteed to become a superstar until they do it, but after the playoff run he's earned the buzz that comes with being a "name" player, just like Mitchell has and Simmons hasn't.

Oh and the article's junk, of course. But the basic argument is an interesting one - what's an accurate hype level?

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So nowhere in the OP does it suggest that Tatum is overhyped?

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Do I think Tatum is overhyped? Yes. But I dont want people to confuse that with him being bad. Its just that a lot of people, fans, news guys in Boston have him penciled in as a sure fire Top 10 player, and even a future Top 5 MVP level guy. And to me simply to expect that to be where he ends up is crazy. He might get there, but he needs a lot of improvement like all young players. So I guess my point is Boston does tend to overhyped guys whether it be Celtics players, Red Sox propects, ect.

You can't "pencil" him in, but the reality is Tatum's rookie performance was simply astonishing. To have a TS% of 58.6 as a rookie SF is unheard of. Durant didn't break that barrier until his 3rd season, when he hit 60% which is basically considered top 10 player level. LeBron didn't until his 6th season. Then to go on to perform as essentially the 1st option on an ECF team is simply insane.

I don't "overhype" him, but the reason all these educated observers are so angry at Danny is because they know how good Tatum is RIGHT NOW and how good he could be going forward. And they realize how good Brown has become and it means there's an open window in Boston for a very long time..

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
Do I think Tatum is overhyped? Yes. But I dont want people to confuse that with him being bad. Its just that a lot of people, fans, news guys in Boston have him penciled in as a sure fire Top 10 player, and even a future Top 5 MVP level guy. And to me simply to expect that to be where he ends up is crazy. He might get there, but he needs a lot of improvement like all young players. So I guess my point is Boston does tend to overhyped guys whether it be Celtics players, Red Sox propects, ect.

You can't "pencil" him in, but the reality is Tatum's rookie performance was simply astonishing. To have a TS% of 58.6 as a rookie SF is unheard of. Durant didn't break that barrier until his 3rd season, when he hit 60% which is basically considered top 10 player level. LeBron didn't until his 6th season. Then to go on to perform as essentially the 1st option on an ECF team is simply insane.

I don't "overhype" him, but the reason all these educated observers are so angry at Danny is because they know how good Tatum is RIGHT NOW and how good he could be going forward. And they realize how good Brown has become and it means there's an open window in Boston for a very long time..

I dont disagree that Tatum was impressive, but pointing out the true shooting and listing superstars who didnt reach that level till later is actually part of the problem. Lebron isn't in the GOAT discussion because he score a 14 a game efficiently, its because he scored 30 efficiemtly, and passes, and rebounds, and defends, ect. I get that Tatum was efficient, but he was probably a little over his head 3pnt shooting wise, he isnt a great passer or finisher. He has work to do. Again, I think odds are he ends up a star, I'd just wish we could ackwoledge its not a given.

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
 Tatum is the best Celtic draft pick, since LB! Future first team all NBA, future hall of fame,  how's that for overhype!!

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Durant and James were much bigger parts of the offense though (they both had USG above 28 with over 17 and just under 19 shots - Tatum's usage was under 20 with just 10.4 shots).  That is what makes it so hard to judge Tatum's rookie year from a historical standpoint given his role, usage, etc.  There just aren't many players like him because so few top five picks end up going to good teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Durant and James were much bigger parts of the offense though (they both had USG above 28 with over 17 and just under 19 shots - Tatum's usage was under 20 with just 10.4 shots).  That is what makes it so hard to judge Tatum's rookie year from a historical standpoint given his role, usage, etc.  There just aren't many players like him because so few top five picks end up going to good teams.

This is true. Although I will note Tatum upped his usage to 23.3 in the playoffs with 57.8% TS%,  13.7 FGA. Durant didn't even make the playoffs until his third year and was abysmal, with a TS% of 49.9% on insane usage, and still only managed about the same Assist% as Tatum did last year. He rebounded the next year with 58.2TS% in the playoffs with 29% usage.

Either way you slice it, Tatum's rookie year was pretty incredible, even in a historical context. Tatum of course needs to improve his playmaking over time to be in the same league as these guys, but he certainly is not "overhyped"...

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I didnt get to see Tatum play as much as many of you living in Missouri. I do however know a guy who was friends with him and played against him in high school. What I did see last year though, especially in the playoffs, was a superstar in the making!

Is he, was he, over hyped? I dont know but what I do know is the guy looked to me that in the playoffs he was being held back more then that he was holding anyone else back. Sure with Kyrie and Hayward coming back Tatum may get fewer shots but the ones he does get will be easier which if anything should add to his shooting percentages, not take away. Also, he will have lesser pressure to develop in ways he wants/needs to.

I dont see a player who is over hyped. I see a player who is dying to lead, take over games and show the rest of the NBA what he can really do. If people are talking about him a bit too much it's not because he doesnt deserve it. Rather he probably deserves them to be talked about more..

Do I think he has top potential? You better believe it and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him leading the league in scoring soon. Kyrie may walk and by the time he does we may not mind so much.

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I dont disagree that Tatum was impressive, but pointing out the true shooting and listing superstars who didnt reach that level till later is actually part of the problem. Lebron isn't in the GOAT discussion because he score a 14 a game efficiently, its because he scored 30 efficiemtly, and passes, and rebounds, and defends, ect. I get that Tatum was efficient, but he was probably a little over his head 3pnt shooting wise, he isnt a great passer or finisher. He has work to do. Again, I think odds are he ends up a star, I'd just wish we could ackwoledge its not a given.

You would think people be more excited over the Celtics young players.

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe his angle should be a fantasy basketball thing as Tatum won't put up big #'s with Hayward and Irving back.

Regardless I think he was truly going for clicks.

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
tatum is most definitely "over hyped". doesn't mean he doesn't live up to the hype.

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The funny thing with ainge is that there is a possibility williams starts destroying baskets with his dunks and blocks everyone.. and the overvalued Tatum and undervalued brown find more space with Irving and Hayward around... it will be a funny year

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I think part of what's feeding the hype is the "cat that are the canary" factor.  At least from the Celtics fans' perspective.  Not only did Ainge draft a kid with so many skills, intelligence and a winning pedigree years ahead of what could reasonably been expected, but he fleeced two of the franchise's historical rivals in the process of traditional down to get him. 

Plus, he seems like the kind of kid who will be undaunted by the hype and continue to grow his game by hard work (not to mention filling out physically).

It might be hype, but it's good hype.
Yup

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 12:46:23 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I feel like the article is trying to say that stats-wise people are expecting too much from Tatum.  He will likely improve as a player this season, but with Hayward and Kyrie back there isn't much room for an increase in counting stats like PPG etc. this year for Tatum.

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Fosberg tweeted:
Chris Forsberg: Jayson Tatum on article that dubbed him one of NBA’s most overhyped: “I saw it. But, good or bad, articles really don’t faze me. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. My job is to play basketball; their job is to write articles. I’ll stick to my job.”

I continue to be amazed at just how polished this kid is.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008