Author Topic: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped  (Read 10306 times)

Re: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 12:15:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is Jaylen Brown underhyped?
Pretty much. Yeah.
Yep. Nearly added 10ppg from his rookie to his sophomore year, improved dramatically as a shooter (besides a rough patch from the FT line), improved his defence, is still learning how best to use his freakish athleticism, and will still be 21 when the season begins.

JB is a monster in his own right
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 01:45:16 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The excerpt from the article did not give me one good reason to consider him overhyped.

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 01:46:41 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Agree that Tatum probably sees a significant minutes regression, probably down to about 24-26 down from 30, but he will have waaaay more easy looks and layups with Gordy and Kyrie out there making space.

Not a good basis to argue he is "overhyped".
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 02:27:33 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Agree that Tatum probably sees a significant minutes regression, probably down to about 24-26 down from 30, but he will have waaaay more easy looks and layups with Gordy and Kyrie out there making space.

I actually expect him to play 30-34mpg.

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 03:34:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why would he lose so many minutes? I think all 5 of Kyrie, Jaylen, Gordon, Jayson and Al will average around 30-32mpg.

I see Morris, Smart and Rozier going down to 25mpg each or so
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47:57 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
The answer is only one: We got coach Brad Stevens. He'll take care of it. In a best way possible.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Tatum is "overated" cause the fans from 28 teams are jealous and Philly fans are furious.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Why are we referencing Bleacher Report of all places? Lol

Don’t get me wrong - I visit Bleacher Report frequently for news and other interesting articles. But people shouldn’t take their basketball analysis all that seriously. The vast majority of their “writers” are just fans themselves doing this for fun.

Concur. Wrote a cringeworthy article for them when I was a teenager.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:29:10 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't think the analysis is wrong. He writer makes valid points , Tatum most problably won't keep making 3s like FTs and will lose a few possesions now that Hayward is back.

I don't understand why that makes him overhyped though .... As many have said players who havent done anything remotely close to that are considered already hall famers !

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I think all the projected starters will player 28-30ish minutes. I think Kyrie had the highest playtime time around 32 mpg last year (that's off the top of my head correct me if I'm wrong) and I figure that goes down this year. Tatum should be around the same minutes, maybe not as many shot opportunities possibly.

As far as the article, the title kind of stinks but I sort of agree with his main points.

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Is Jaylen Brown underhyped?
Pretty much. Yeah.
Yep. Nearly added 10ppg from his rookie to his sophomore year, improved dramatically as a shooter (besides a rough patch from the FT line), improved his defence, is still learning how best to use his freakish athleticism, and will still be 21 when the season begins.

JB is a monster in his own right

This is where I'm at. I agree with the conventional wisdom that Tatum will be better eventually, but Brown's numbers in the playoffs were basically identical to Tatum's with better defense and a more consistent 3 pointer and both guys were streaky all playoffs.

I'm as high on Tatum as anyone but the article is right that we'll have to be patient.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Tatum took 10.4 shots per game in the regular season. He upped that to 13.7 shots in the playoffs. Brown had a similar increase. Feeding these two at playoff levels means an extra 6-7 shots per game. Hayward should also need 13-14 shots, so we are looking at finding roughly 20 shots.

Kyrie might give up a couple of shots per game.

Morris, Rozier and Smart took about 30 shots per game, and those were low efficiency shots. The rest of the roster didn't take many shots, and we shouldn't expect the team to squeeze much from there.

The big question for the C's is what happens with the redistribution of these shots. Morris may barely play next year.

I really expected the C's to try to resolve the Rozier/Smart dilemma, but they didn't. Rozier finished very strongly and they just gave Smart a major contract.

I would be surprised if Stevens holds Tatum and Brown back so Rozier and Smart can hold onto their current roles. I don't see any way around Morris, Rozier and Smart giving up over half of their shots.

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Tatum is "overated" cause the fans from 28 teams are jealous and Philly fans are furious.

this.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Bleacher Report piece was predictably very shi...crappily written, using very weak arguments, will little supported data that it seems like they don't really grasp how to use effectively anyways.

A little context:

Aside from the personnel issues, Tatum is also unlikely to shoot a scorching 52 percent on corner threes again. If that seems unreasonable, consider that Klay Thompson has shot better than 47 percent from the corners only once in his career. He's never matched Tatum's 52 percent.

If you believe Tatum is going to be a better shooter than Thompson, you've crossed the rubicon between optimism and pure fantasy.

Tatum shooting better on corner threes does not make him a better shooter than Thompson. Nobody should be arguing that. A person who is writing things for public consumption should absolutely not be arguing that. In fact, more than just Tatum shot better than Thompson on corner 3's. But you have to correct for things like attempts, games played, etc.

Darren Collison shot 48% from 3 last year. Thompson shot 44%. Was Collison 'a better shooter than Klay' last year? No. He took 4 less attempts per game for one. He would need to more than double his attempts to match Klay's number.

That is one of two reasons Tatum is 'overhyped'. If the argument is that his shooting is not sustainable, make the argument, show other rookies who suffered 2nd year regression they never recovered from. Do something, author guy. The other 'reason' is because of team personnel. Which again, Bleacher Report guy DOES NOT ACTUALLY EXPLAIN. That Bleacher Report snippet was clickbait garbage!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
Do I think Tatum is overhyped? Yes. But I dont want people to confuse that with him being bad. Its just that a lot of people, fans, news guys in Boston have him penciled in as a sure fire Top 10 player, and even a future Top 5 MVP level guy. And to me simply to expect that to be where he ends up is crazy. He might get there, but he needs a lot of improvement like all young players. So I guess my point is Boston does tend to overhyped guys whether it be Celtics players, Red Sox propects, ect.