Celtics Basketball > Celtics Talk

Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped

(1/14) > >>

slightly biased bias fan:
Per Bleacher Report:

I already slapped the franchise label on Jayson Tatum earlier this month, so let's start by acknowledging that the guy has immense potential. He showed it during last year's playoff run, when he led the Boston Celtics with 18.5 points per game.

But consider the obstacles ahead of Tatum this season, and you'll see why we should hold off on crowning him a megastar right away.

Kyrie Irving has never been one to take a backseat, and with him back on the floor, it'll be much harder for Tatum to build on his postseason takeover. Throw Gordon Hayward into the mix, and there will be even fewer touches for the 20-year-old wing. And that's to say nothing of Jaylen Brown, who's a superior defender at the moment and averaged 18 points per game in the playoffs on more efficient shooting than Tatum managed. He's due for an increased role as well.

Aside from the personnel issues, Tatum is also unlikely to shoot a scorching 52 percent on corner threes again. If that seems unreasonable, consider that Klay Thompson has shot better than 47 percent from the corners only once in his career. He's never matched Tatum's 52 percent.

If you believe Tatum is going to be a better shooter than Thompson, you've crossed the rubicon between optimism and pure fantasy.

Much of the caution here boils down to skepticism about small samples. Tatum's hot shooting and relatively brief playoff excellence still count in his favor, but he's only 20. It's way too early to start taking the Kobe Bryant parallels seriously, even if some of the evidence is compelling.

Tatum's going to be great. But let's not rush to anoint him as a superstar until he deserves it.

hpantazo:
In a normal universe I would agree. However, when Ben Simmons is called a potential MVP candidate, then no, in this screwed up media hype machine driven universe, run by people who have no idea about basketball and just want to market potential money makers in big markets, Tatum is hyped just right.

I bet the Fultz hype will go through the roof if he manages to have a couple of decent games early on in the season where he resembles a poor man's Rozier.

jpotter33:
Why are we referencing Bleacher Report of all places? Lol

Don’t get me wrong - I visit Bleacher Report frequently for news and other interesting articles. But people shouldn’t take their basketball analysis all that seriously. The vast majority of their “writers” are just fans themselves doing this for fun.

SHAQATTACK:
and we care why ?

Moranis:
I don't really see anything wrong or crazy in there and it was generally positive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version