Author Topic: Zion dunking from the free throw line  (Read 6637 times)

Re: Zion dunking from the free throw line
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Zion's ability to defend will determine whether or not he will be a impact player in the NBA.

RJ Barrett just became an a less attractive draft prospect for me now that I know he's Canadian.

I don't trust foreign prospects.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Because of his size, I think this is a more impressive dunk than usual.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Zion's ability to defend will determine whether or not he will be a impact player in the NBA.

RJ Barrett just became an a less attractive draft prospect for me now that I know he's Canadian.

this is just weird that in today's day and age there are stilk questions about foreign prospects.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, if he's really weighing in at 280 or so then this is crazy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

this is just weird that in today's day and age there are stilk questions about foreign prospects.

I understand the uncertainty of European players as the level of athleticism they're going against isn't the same and it's hard to predict how their games will translate, but Barrett played high school ball in Florida.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Agree the dunk is impressive for the big fella. At least in that vid he didn’t look like all of 280 to me. Very large, no doubt, but not Yabu large.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I understand the uncertainty of European players as the level of athleticism they're going against isn't the same and it's hard to predict how their games will translate, but Barrett played high school ball in Florida.

Yup. Also, there is this https://usatodayhss.com/2017/montverde-academys-r-j-barrett-leads-canada-to-u19-victory-against-team-usa and also this https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2770454-rj-barrett-world-team-beat-usa-in-nike-hoop-summit-with-zion-williamson-injured.amp.html

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Agree the dunk is impressive for the big fella. At least in that vid he didn’t look like all of 280 to me. Very large, no doubt, but not Yabu large.

His thighs are like tree trunks. He's that heavy imo. It's just incredible he flys like that.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'd be more impressed if he took a page from Larry's "book" and worked on something new to "elevate" his game..like a no-look, behind the back pass to a teammate in the paint then racing out beyond the 3 point line for the return pass to make a contested 3.  THAT takes skill. 

Dunks, no matter how athletic and/or creative, do nothing for nothing for me.  But that's just me.   ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 12:18:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I'd be more impressed if he took a page from Larry's "book" and worked on something new to "elevate" his game..like a no-look, behind the back pass to a teammate in the paint then racing out beyond the 3 point line for the return pass to make a contested 3.  THAT takes skill. 

Dunks, no matter how athletic and/or creative, do nothing for nothing for me.  But that's just me.   ;)
I don't think it's really about the dunks, but more the plain ridiculous athleticism it takes to pull something like this off. a 6'6", 270-280lb 18 year-old dunking is ridiculous. I also think he has a better stroke than people think.

He'd be our perfect small ball 5 if he can use his athleticism to protect the ring even adequately ;)

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 01:30:06 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Oh, hi Official Sacramento Kings pick watch thread!

He would be so crazy perfect on this team.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 06:55:30 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Some of you are not paying attention. This was posted (different video and angle) back in June. I was fooled by thinking it was from the same thread, until I saw the date posted. I didn't see the other videos though so that was cool. I used to try to do that....on an 8-foot rim lol.
Also, if anyone believes Zion is 280 is out of their minds. He's no where near that weight.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95523.30

Edit: this was the original post from a different workout: https://mobile.twitter.com/SBNation/status/1012450120095301632/video/1

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:29:05 AM by GreenShooter »

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:44:34 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I don't think it's really about the dunks, but more the plain ridiculous athleticism it takes to pull something like this off. a 6'6", 270-280lb 18 year-old dunking is ridiculous. I also think he has a better stroke than people think.

He'd be our perfect small ball 5 if he can use his athleticism to protect the ring even adequately ;)

So Julius Randle?

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

So Julius Randle?
Him and Julius Randle are galaxies apart in terms of athleticism.