Author Topic: 2018-19 EPL season  (Read 18142 times)

2018-19 EPL season
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
City and United won. Chelsea got over the community shield loss quickly. Now to see if Liverpool's spending was worth it.
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: 2018-19 EPL season
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Chelsea vs Arsenal

Brilliant first 10-15 minutes from Chelsea. Sarri's methods are paying off. The defense looks excellent. Lots of bodies around the ball and in midfield. Few options for Arsenal's midfielders to move the ball forward. Snuffing out attacks before they get going. The attack for Chelsea has been great. They have gotten behind Arsenal at least 3-4 times already.

I am so happy to have David Luiz back in the team this season. What a difference he makes. Absolutely phenomenal passer out of the back. He is killing Arsenal's pressing by taking the ball out of the pack and making incisive passes to runners. So nice to have a defender who can join in the attack like he can.

Wow, what a pass by Guendouzi. Brilliant ball. What a miss by Aubameyang.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Chelsea look good value for their 2-0 lead. Completely run Arsenal off the park.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:14:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
2-2 Game on. Great first half.

Arsenal have looked shoddy most of the half but they have cut apart Chelsea whenever they have gotten near the penalty area. Creating wide open chances in the penalty box and a few more outside the box.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:23:49 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Spurs are going to take the EPL this year. City is in trouble without KDB.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Just like that Arsenal are back in the game.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Arsenal is really back peddeling. I would be suprised if they grab a point today

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Incredible. Two goals in two minutes. Tottenham 2-0 Man Utd.

Super second goal from Tottenham. Great run and cross by Eriksen to setup the goal by Lucas.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 02:58:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Sigh... Mourinho in and Pogba out.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would like to see Man Utd make a few changes:

(1) Midfield = switch to 3 man midfield with one holder and two central mids. I'd like to see Matic dropped and Fred take over as the holding midfielder. Then play Pogba and Herrera as the two central mids. Get more attacking quality on the pitch. More dynamic play. More ball control, dribbling and passing. Make it easier to open up teams.

I'd also like to see Matic dropped further (and sold) in favour of McTominay as the backup defensive mid. I am a huge fan of Matic but youth needs to be served. If Matic is not first choice, I think best to sell him and make way for McTominay.

I am not wild about the Matic - Fred - Pogba 3 man midfield. It is incredible defensively but more good than great in attack. I think Man Utd's front 3 need more help from their midfield so I would like to see them use a more attacking midfield 3. That is the reason for the switch. The reason for changing Fred from CM to DM and dropping Matic.

(2) Forward line = I'd like to see Mourinho use a front 3 and start Martial at #9 instead of Lukaku. I'd like to see Alexis and Lingard start next to Martial in a versatile front 3 than has a lot of movement of positions.

With a CF like Lukaku, I think Man Utd need to build their entire attack around him. Similar to how they played with Van Nistelrooy. And that is good when your CF is good enough to justify it and Lukaku is. I am also a big fan of Lukaku (like Matic, Chelsea fan = so I love Matic and Lukaku both for their talent and from when they played there).

With Martial, Man Utd can use a versatile front 3 more similar to how they played when Rooney, Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo where there. Man Utd scored more goals with that front 3 than with Van Nistelrooy. That balanced attack made them harder to defend against.

It is a difference between midfielders (and wide forwards) being asked to create and service a #9 and being more able to join in and score goals too. It is a more team dynamic.

I think both Martial and Lukaku are top class #9s who could start at #9 for many of the top teams across Europe. I choose Martial over Lukaku because I think Man Utd is better setup to play a team attacking approach then a #9-centered approach (and secondly to a lesser degree because I myself prefer to watch such an approach).

The reason I think Man Utd is better able to play this way is because I do not think they have the right wide forwards to get the best out of Lukaku. When you have a #9 like Lukaku, you need to setup your entire team to service him. To feed him. To create chances for him to finish off. However, Martial and Rashford are both more goalscorers than creators and want to play near the penalty box rather than widening the pitch and put in dangerous balls for Lukaku to attack. Man Utd need proper wingers. Mourinho was 100% correct to pursue Perisic. Perisic would have been phenomenal next to Lukaku. They would have had great chemistry / synergy together. Man Utd need to replace Martial & Rashford with this type of creative winger if they are going to continue with Lukaku as their #9.

This to me is the main problem (well 2nd after Mourinho's cautious approach) with Man United's squad. They have two different ideology at play in their forward line. Half of it is built to play one way. The other half another way. That is why they lack chemistry. Man Utd need to choose one option and discard the other. Lukaku or Martial.

I think playing Martial as #9 instead of Lukaku will also get the best out of Alexis Sanchez. Someone Alexis can dove-tail with. Create combinations with. Allow Alexis more opportunities to come central and score goals than he does with Lukaku.

Lingard is super = he is equally effective in either system and is super important to making either system work because of Man Utd's lack of proper wingers. He should always be in the first 11 when available to play. He is not Man Utd's most talented player but he creates balance for the rest of the team to play at their highest level (like Pedro at Chelsea).

I would sell Lukaku and Matic in order to switch to this type of team both in the long term as well as in the short term.

A big difference between Van Nistelrooy and Lukaku is Van Nistelrooy had Ryan Giggs and David Beckham out wide to create chances for him. To get the best out of Van Nistelrooy's goal-scoring ways. Lukaku does not have this at Man Utd. He has Martial and Rashford (both for CFs than midfielders). Then Lingard (solid all-round attacker rather than top class talent). And Alexis (both goal-scorer and creator but needs freedom to cut inside a lot). Giggs and Beckham kept the pitch spaced wide and creates lots of crosses and dangerous passes for Van Nistelrooy to attack. That is why they were so effective together. Talent + chemistry. Lukaku's teammates have different types of talent and do not get the best out of him. That is why Man Utd either need to change their approach / tactics or sell Martial / Rashford and bring in proper wide players like Perisic to get the most out of Lukaku.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Spurs the biggest challenger to City this season
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Lukaku is key player for Murinho's tactics. He needs some to collect loose balls , fight for headers and break the ball to players coming from behind.

One could argue that Murinho uses this kind of style because of the players he has but i dont't think so. And i realy doubt he is going to change his tactics

IMHO the only change MU needs is to get a new coach
He is too strongminded to try something different, he constalty diminishes his players which means they don't like him and the club cannot get a decent return by selling them and he seems to be in a constant fight with the ownership.

usually i don't take the owner's side but MU gave JM freedom to spend huge amounts of money (close to 500m)
Pogda and his 100m are as good as gone
Mithrarian's 40m turned into Sanchez
38m for Baily and 35m for Lindelof are wasted since he keeps asking for CDs

Tot sure looks good but it kills me to say that Liverpool looks very good too

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 08:47:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Lukaku is key player for Murinho's tactics. He needs some to collect loose balls , fight for headers and break the ball to players coming from behind.

One could argue that Murinho uses this kind of style because of the players he has but i dont't think so. And i realy doubt he is going to change his tactics

IMHO the only change MU needs is to get a new coach
He is too strongminded to try something different, he constalty diminishes his players which means they don't like him and the club cannot get a decent return by selling them and he seems to be in a constant fight with the ownership.

usually i don't take the owner's side but MU gave JM freedom to spend huge amounts of money (close to 500m)
Pogda and his 100m are as good as gone
Mithrarian's 40m turned into Sanchez
38m for Baily and 35m for Lindelof are wasted since he keeps asking for CDs

Tot sure looks good but it kills me to say that Liverpool looks very good too
I disagree with your opinion, and here's why.
The players are either lazy or just inept, a manager helps set up the players in positions to succeed, not help them do stuff such as converting point blank chances (Lukaku, Sanchez, Rashford), not play hero ball and lose the ball in the midfield like a teenage ball hog (Pogba who imo should be sold immediately if Barca offer 100 million pounds or more), defend after losing the ball instead of sulking (Pogba again), show some fight and attitude (Martial, Pogba) or take the game seriously (Bailly). The players are a whole are just so poor because of such factors that it forces Mourinho to play hoofball and ten men behind the ball.

Btw Mourinho attempted to expansive football against Tottenham and it worked for 45 minutes before the aforementioned players sucked ass again. Also Mourinho has been quite supportive of his players this season, he hasn't publicly slated his players and has even praised them. As for "constant fighting with the ownership", there have been reports today dispelling such a notion, saying that Mourinho's relationship with Woodward is as strong as ever, and he has been kept in the loop on moves such as extending Martial's contract (Mourinho backed it).

The spending is 400 million, not 500 (that's City spending iirc) and Pogba was a Woodward signing when Mourinho wanted a midfield player to build a spine, the type of player he wanted was a type like Kroos, Modric, etc, hardworking and industrial midfielders with the flair to energize the engine room, not an attention seeking diva with attitude problems like Pogba. The money spent on Micki was a flop I'll give you that, and Sanchez is not looking good at all so far, but the fee was 30 million and managers do make flops with their signings (eg.Bravo for Pep). Imo Lindelof still has potential, and Mourinho said he was a long term project since he was signed so I think the jury is still out on him. As for Bailly, I don't think it's Mourinho's fault that he drifts in and out while defending, and for the price we spent on him his quality (even with his inconsistency) makes the deal a mediocre one imo.

I think your concerns are valid but imo they're a bit overblown, Mourinho is getting held responsible for everything by the media rn.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I would like to see Man Utd make a few changes:

(1) Midfield = switch to 3 man midfield with one holder and two central mids. I'd like to see Matic dropped and Fred take over as the holding midfielder. Then play Pogba and Herrera as the two central mids. Get more attacking quality on the pitch. More dynamic play. More ball control, dribbling and passing. Make it easier to open up teams.

I'd also like to see Matic dropped further (and sold) in favour of McTominay as the backup defensive mid. I am a huge fan of Matic but youth needs to be served. If Matic is not first choice, I think best to sell him and make way for McTominay.

I am not wild about the Matic - Fred - Pogba 3 man midfield. It is incredible defensively but more good than great in attack. I think Man Utd's front 3 need more help from their midfield so I would like to see them use a more attacking midfield 3. That is the reason for the switch. The reason for changing Fred from CM to DM and dropping Matic.

(2) Forward line = I'd like to see Mourinho use a front 3 and start Martial at #9 instead of Lukaku. I'd like to see Alexis and Lingard start next to Martial in a versatile front 3 than has a lot of movement of positions.

With a CF like Lukaku, I think Man Utd need to build their entire attack around him. Similar to how they played with Van Nistelrooy. And that is good when your CF is good enough to justify it and Lukaku is. I am also a big fan of Lukaku (like Matic, Chelsea fan = so I love Matic and Lukaku both for their talent and from when they played there).

With Martial, Man Utd can use a versatile front 3 more similar to how they played when Rooney, Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo where there. Man Utd scored more goals with that front 3 than with Van Nistelrooy. That balanced attack made them harder to defend against.

It is a difference between midfielders (and wide forwards) being asked to create and service a #9 and being more able to join in and score goals too. It is a more team dynamic.

I think both Martial and Lukaku are top class #9s who could start at #9 for many of the top teams across Europe. I choose Martial over Lukaku because I think Man Utd is better setup to play a team attacking approach then a #9-centered approach (and secondly to a lesser degree because I myself prefer to watch such an approach).

The reason I think Man Utd is better able to play this way is because I do not think they have the right wide forwards to get the best out of Lukaku. When you have a #9 like Lukaku, you need to setup your entire team to service him. To feed him. To create chances for him to finish off. However, Martial and Rashford are both more goalscorers than creators and want to play near the penalty box rather than widening the pitch and put in dangerous balls for Lukaku to attack. Man Utd need proper wingers. Mourinho was 100% correct to pursue Perisic. Perisic would have been phenomenal next to Lukaku. They would have had great chemistry / synergy together. Man Utd need to replace Martial & Rashford with this type of creative winger if they are going to continue with Lukaku as their #9.

This to me is the main problem (well 2nd after Mourinho's cautious approach) with Man United's squad. They have two different ideology at play in their forward line. Half of it is built to play one way. The other half another way. That is why they lack chemistry. Man Utd need to choose one option and discard the other. Lukaku or Martial.

I think playing Martial as #9 instead of Lukaku will also get the best out of Alexis Sanchez. Someone Alexis can dove-tail with. Create combinations with. Allow Alexis more opportunities to come central and score goals than he does with Lukaku.

Lingard is super = he is equally effective in either system and is super important to making either system work because of Man Utd's lack of proper wingers. He should always be in the first 11 when available to play. He is not Man Utd's most talented player but he creates balance for the rest of the team to play at their highest level (like Pedro at Chelsea).

I would sell Lukaku and Matic in order to switch to this type of team both in the long term as well as in the short term.

A big difference between Van Nistelrooy and Lukaku is Van Nistelrooy had Ryan Giggs and David Beckham out wide to create chances for him. To get the best out of Van Nistelrooy's goal-scoring ways. Lukaku does not have this at Man Utd. He has Martial and Rashford (both for CFs than midfielders). Then Lingard (solid all-round attacker rather than top class talent). And Alexis (both goal-scorer and creator but needs freedom to cut inside a lot). Giggs and Beckham kept the pitch spaced wide and creates lots of crosses and dangerous passes for Van Nistelrooy to attack. That is why they were so effective together. Talent + chemistry. Lukaku's teammates have different types of talent and do not get the best out of him. That is why Man Utd either need to change their approach / tactics or sell Martial / Rashford and bring in proper wide players like Perisic to get the most out of Lukaku.
Exactly what we're playing, only that Matic is the holding midfielder and Fred/Pogba are the central mids. As for Pogba leading to more attacking quality... I'd be ecstatic if he wasn't a detriment to our offense at this point lol. Imo Matic as a holding midfielder to drop back and help out with our CBs while spraying out some long balls for distribution from the back is a good fit for our system, since our CBs either can't really use the ball (Smalling, Jones, Bailly) or defend passably (Lindelof), and the only one that can do a little bit of both (Rojo) is injured. And frankly with our nightmarish performance defensively against Tottenham, I'd advocate strengthening our defense rather than improving our offense (our players just couldn't finish).

I absolutely agree with what you said about Lukaku, and we are currently doing so by playing a 3-5-2 with our wing backs pushing up high to cross and press to initiate attacks to get the ball to Romelu. I do like what you said about Martial and changing the system, but imo he should work his way up and such a system should be used when Lukaku is not available/needs to rest.

Just hoping that Mourinho can get this squad to improve.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 03:56:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Great win against Burnley, hope we can keep it up and win against Watford and Young Boys.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA